Vent thread vs pies

Remove this Banner Ad

The AFL need to explain why the Lions were given such a tough draw to open the season. I think it was obvious tonight that they are fatigued and dispirited.
We performed better against the higher fancied teams surprisingly. Truth be told the fixture wouldn't matter if we play like this every week - we're the worst team in the league right now.

Yeah - went to my first game in 5 years tonight. Left at quarter time.

With my mental health issues, just getting to the ground was an effort - the last thing I wanted was to go postal on myself and end up floating in the river.

I left simply because we looked disinclined to compete - and stuffed if I was going to risk being driven to leap from the bridge because our players couldn't give a toss.

Footy is an emotional game as a supporter and right now, tonight, I'm not up for that.

Sad thing is, neither is half our list.
:(
Understand how you feel mate, hope you're ok and glad to hear you removed yourself fro a situation that wasn't going to do your health any good.

Understand how you feel mate, hope you're ok and glad to hear you removed yourself fro a situation that wasn't going to do your health any good.

Be better when I can get home to Poona, catch some magpies and use them as crab bait :p

Cheers for the good vibes though :)

Young kids in Brisbane would be mad to not follow the Broncos. Only missed the finals 3 times etc. The lions are a basket case and its been such road back anf there is still years ahead. We were mismanged for years culminating in the sacking of Voss. Better off field since then but gone backwsrds on field.
Grown 45 year old adults who grew up in the final days of the pre Broncos QRL, who went to the first Broncos Game at Lang Park and lived every moment of State of Origin in the 80s would be mad to not follow the Broncos, but somehow here I am. Gah! I'm at wit's end with the Lions.

I have never felt so dispirited with where we are at. I was feeling almost physically ill forcing myself to watch what we dished up in the first half. I just can't see how we can turn the corner as a Club.

The immediate issue is Leppa's playing style has lost the players. Although what is worse is that as a Club we are stuck in a poverty trap where there appears to be no way out.

Getting hard to get optimistic about "the future". Been doing it for over a decade. Might be time for a new coach at season's end just so we can trick ourselves for another 2-3 years about "the future" before harsh reality sets in again.

Funnily it was the Murdoch tv driven Super League debacle that shook me loose from the NRL and I wonder if it is the decimation of QLD footy under the tv driven expansion of the AFL that will shake me loose of the AFL.

Grown 45 year old adults who grew up in the final days of the pre Broncos QRL, who went to the first Broncos Game at Lang Park and lived every moment of State of Origin in the 80s would be mad to not follow the Broncos, but somehow here I am. Gah! I'm at wit's end with the Lions.

My son plays soccer and follows the broncos. I think that he's only polite about the Lions to make me happy. I have tried everything but can see why. One passable year out of ten is just ****ed.

My son plays soccer and follows the broncos. I think that he's only polite about the Lions to make me happy. I have tried everything but can see why. One passable year out of ten is just stuffed.
My son barely watches footy anymore. Comes to games because he gets to hang out with me. I wonder if we should both learn to fish.

Getting hard to get optimistic about "the future". Been doing it for over a decade. Might be time for a new coach at season's end just so we can trick ourselves for another 2-3 years about "the future" before harsh reality sets in again.

That's a fair amount of the 'why' I reckon we stick with Leppa.

I said elsewhere that assessing at season's end is the way to go and despite the rubbish we dished up tonight, I'm sticking with that.

Bottom line is you are either a competitor or not - and we didn't compete as individuals (bar one or two), never mind as a team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Young kids in Brisbane would be mad to not follow the Broncos. Only missed the finals 3 times etc. The lions are a basket case and its been such road back anf there is still years ahead. We were mismanged for years culminating in the sacking of Voss. Better off field since then but gone backwsrds on field.
I was born into a Rugby League family, my brother and I played League as kids... it's my no.1 sport. But my Dad's best mate is a massive AFL/Carlton fan and invited us over to watch the Grand Final v Port in 2004... and despite losing I became fascinated with the game. Only had one TV growing up, and AFL was never on, so I used to listen to the radio and follow the stats online. I watch most sports, been through lots of ups and downs as a fan, but **** me, the Lions NEVER fail to disappoint. Since becoming a Lions fan as an 11-year-old we've only made the finals once. If I had kids, there is no way I'd be taking them to a Lions game. You want to show a young kid some role models, some grown men that show a bit of heart when the going gets tough, you take them to a Broncos or QLD Origin game... a Lleyton Hewitt match... the Lions? **** no. I love the game of AFL, I want to love the Lions, but gee they make it tough. /RantOver.

I was born into a Rugby League family, my brother and I played League as kids... it's my no.1 sport. But my Dad's best mate is a massive AFL/Carlton fan and invited us over to watch the Grand Final v Port in 2004... and despite losing I became fascinated with the game. Only had one TV growing up, and AFL was never on, so I used to listen to the radio and follow the stats online. I watch most sports, been through lots of ups and downs as a fan, but **** me, the Lions NEVER fail to disappoint. Since becoming a Lions fan as an 11-year-old we've only made the finals once. If I had kids, there is no way I'd be taking them to a Lions game. You want to show a young kid some role models, some grown men that show a bit of heart when the going gets tough, you take them to a Broncos or QLD Origin game... a Lleyton Hewitt match... the Lions? **** no. I love the game of AFL, I want to love the Lions, but gee they make it tough. /RantOver.

All my friends in Brissie have completely given up on the Lions. They go to broncos games with there kids and just view the Lions as a joke. Our club is becoming the bad news bears if they arent already.

Living in SA I still support the Lions and my kids did as well. We would travel from country SA to watch games and fly to melbourne for at least 1 game a year. Just last year my daughter and I spent a whole day together pre-night game in Melbourne together looking around for a Guernsey & other lions merchandise for her..she was so passionate towards the Lions. Now she is still passionate for her AFL but she has well and truely dumped any interest in the Lions and supports the Crows. She literally gives me grief daily about how bad the Lions are. It would be very hard to keep kids interested in the Lions and I certainly have given up

Im a Melbourne supporter but just needed to drop by. What I saw tonight was so bad that I just couldnt not leave a comment. I cannot believe what I was watching. And ive seen a lot as a dees fan. Im not trying to be a smartarse or have a dig, but that was absolutely pathetic. What on earth is Leppa doing with this lot?

Beams, stef, rocky, zorko, hanley are your only good players. End of story. Not one other player should be playing AFL. The rest are insipid.

Im a Melbourne supporter but just needed to drop by. What I saw tonight was so bad that I just couldnt not leave a comment. I cannot believe what I was watching. And ive seen a lot as a dees fan. Im not trying to be a smartarse or have a dig, but that was absolutely pathetic. What on earth is Leppa doing with this lot?

Beams, stef, rocky, zorko, hanley are your only good players. End of story. Not one other player should be playing AFL. The rest are insipid.

You'd know a lot about shit performances

We're almost as bad as you guys were a few years ago.

Hi guys.

I hope you'll forgive a magpie for coming here (to the vent thread, of all threads). Commiserations on the loss. We've had a woeful year so far so I know how it feels!

I'm an on-and-off qld resident and have just settled here for the long term with my young family. I'm concerned about the state of the game here and would prefer to see a competitive Lions outfit than a struggling one.

The good work done at grass roots level will be undone if local kids don't want to follow the Lions. My kids have black and white in their veins and will have to battle against having their friends bang on about the Broncos at school, but they'll have me and the Collingwood Army to keep them excited and involved in the game. Trips to the G for ANZAC Day etc. It worked for me growing up in Canberra during the glory days of the Raiders.

What I fear for is the patience of the casual young Lions supporter. You guys are obviously a loyal bunch, but 12 years without looking like tasting success is too long up here, just as it would be in Sydney. It's disheartening to hear of kids giving up on the Lions. Much as I enjoy beating you guys, I don't want you to lose any more footing up here.

I sincerely wish your all the best in turning it around, for the sake of footy in Queensland.

All the best for next week.

Having moved to Canberra earlier this year it it typical that the Lions actually make me pleased I don't have to witness and sit through that type of performance at the Gabba every second week.

My son (6yo) has quickly moved on from the Lions and seems to love the Giants, i don't blame him they are an exciting young team to watch.

Remove this Banner Ad

Vent thread vs pies

Remove this Banner Ad

Back