Vent Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Ratten summed it with saying "embarrassed" and "frustrated" a lot in the press conference.

If it was Blight, he might have made up words, like "emfrussated"

Things i analysed today:

1. Henderson- Very raw player, he is going to take just as long as Josh Kennedy before he is a contributor to this team. Tries his butt off, but really cannot put it all together on the big stage, VFL won't kill him

2. Waite- The guy is a fantastic defender, the amount of attacks he intercepted in the first half showed why he is needed at CHB, yes he is a forward, but until we have an equivalent to Waite, keep him back there!

3. Russell- Although he turned into a real contributor and our general across half back in the opening 9 rounds, he is looking lost again. Yes he battles in composure, but he did his apprenticeship across half back , showed he is a capable AFL footballer. He does the 1percenters more than any other player, so lets put him on the ball, or across half forward as that's what he was drafted for!

4. Joseph- Has not shown any of his run and carry that was evident in his first year, use him as a game opener midfielder running the lines, and do not pick him as a small defender, it has not succeeded!

5. Murphy- Has the flair to be an AFL player, but does not stand up and put his body on the line.

6. Gibbs- See Murphy

7. Bower/ Jamison- Their inability to provide run is a real worry, as to their form

I know it wasn't a great effort but don't be too harsh on the boys. You played a team that will most likely play off in a Grand Final

I know it wasn't a great effort but don't be too harsh on the boys. You played a team that will most likely play off in a Grand Final

Look, i agree, but its bloody Collingwood, and you know they'll stuff it up at the end. Even pre game, Malthouse was on a totally different mindset to our blokes, he wanted the win, had a plan in place, and took the sentiment/rivalry straight out of it.

I'd have hoped we would at least have had the hunger for the contest, given it was round 18, but we looked like school kids out there yesterday.

My chief hate is the 2 Carlton players go the tackle and the ball pops out to a loose opposition player in our back 50.

Surely they know each others style well enough, and to back their teammate.

I know that sounds pithy, but it's basic man on man footy.

This hits the nail right on the head. When you watch Geelong you will see their players prepared to gamble on their teammates winning a 1-on-1 contest, hence why they are happy to kick to a contest & why when a contested ball is there to be won, a second player won't be sucked into the contest. This means that when the Geelong player wins the contest he will always have a teammate to give the ball to.

What you have highlighted happened a number of times yesterday & clearly points to a lack of confidence in each other to win 50/50 contests.

We've got backs that don't even face the play, Russell, Carrots, Joseph,
early in the year these blokes would take their opponents on,
but as they are so player conscious nowadays, it just makes us so predictable.

These blokes have to get a hunger for the contest again.

:thumbsu:

igt, if the ball didn't flood down there so much of late they'd be less player conscious. If you're getting bombarded, you naturally becoming less attacking

All starts in the midfield

I don't care if we were playing collingwood, geelong or the new york yankees. Ratts finally hit the nail on the head. Where is our effort?
Where is our first to the ball mentality, where is our protect the ball carrier. where is our, it's my turn to go in attitude.Where is protect the ball carrier. This has little to do with who you play.When you pull out of a 50/50 , thats not because we are playing Collingwood. This has also little to do with we are a young side and still learning that so many people on these threads seem to preach.
One thing we do need is a mental/attitude turn around.
I hope Ratts highlights all the times players didn't go in, didn't tackle, shephard, protect etc. Murphy , Gibbs, walker are classic examples.
Enough talk Ratts, if these players aren't doing the right things, play them in the seconds. Talk is cheap. You made some good decisions earlier this year dropping Waite, Thorton and Mclean.
Personally i don't want to fall into the eight playing like we are. I thi
nk i am rambling now, just venting :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Vent Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back