Very early Phantom draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Sailor said:
Firstly can I say to the West Toasters keep your grubby fingers out of South and East Freo. Leeches, that's all you lot are.
Tommy Corbett-Wynn is a good youngster. Smooth mover with great goal sense. Kicked 11 goals in the second semi for South last year. He's a bit on the small side and has the aboriginal dislike of defensive work.
Can play.

You are welcome to him, Fremantle needs another fat-arsed receiver.

chemical said:
14.45 for 100 m. That is ********** slow mate

That's fine.

From memory, the best performers at draft camp last year weren't doing a lot better than 2.89 for the 20m.

You can't just multiply the figure by 5 to get a viable 100m figure.

The 20m is judged from a standing start, meaning that you're only looking at the slowest quintile of a 100m run.

Clearly the other four quintiles will come in considerably lower, given that the body is already moving smoothly during the start of each one.

People put way too much stock in these things to begin with. If you don't have the smarts, being able to run a flat 2.7s for the 20m will only mean that you're likely to be a few tenths of a second faster at getting to where the ball isn't!

CyberKev said:
People put way too much stock in these things to begin with. If you don't have the smarts, being able to run a flat 2.7s for the 20m will only mean that you're likely to be a few tenths of a second faster at getting to where the ball isn't!
Exactly...get footballers first and then get them fit

i am 190cm, i got 2.93 for my 20m sprint when i did some testing at WAIS. I didnt realise i was that quick, in fact Iam not that quick. These footballers are not as atheletic as people make them out to believe. there is a young bloke playing rugby over here in WA who gets 2.68 for 20m sprint. That is quick.

CyberKev said:
That's fine.

From memory, the best performers at draft camp last year weren't doing a lot better than 2.89 for the 20m.

You can't just multiply the figure by 5 to get a viable 100m figure.

The 20m is judged from a standing start, meaning that you're only looking at the slowest quintile of a 100m run.

Clearly the other four quintiles will come in considerably lower, given that the body is already moving smoothly during the start of each one.

But Sam Mitchell is too slow for the AFL, CyberKev.

superstar said:
But Sam Mitchell is too slow for the AFL, CyberKev.

I'll say!

It's bloody embarrassing for Hawthorn and they just don't learn the lesson.

Jordan Lewis??!! Pfft, he was too slow for the TAC!

I don't know how he had the temerity to turn-up to training and to face his teammates while battling away on a trifling average of 30 possies a game?!

Deep down the shame would of been tearing him apart, just knowing that if he could only have been a few tenths of a second faster he may have been squaring away a lazy 50+ possies a week like a real footballer...

CyberKev said:
If you don't have the smarts, being able to run a flat 2.7s for the 20m will only mean that you're likely to be a few tenths of a second faster at getting to where the ball isn't!

Excellent comment

Oh if only people in the know would realise this.

Whitnall is a perfect example of being slow, put him in a half decent side and see how many goals a guy with zero athletic ability will kick just because he knows where to go on a football field. Like all forwards though (slow or quick) it is hard to get a kick when your team is under acheiving.

theorangeapple said:
These footballers are not as atheletic as people make them out to believe.
My brother has fond memories of running down and tackling the supposedly quick Damian Cupido in school footy. Of course, Cupido used to get away with just swinging his arm around and trying to punch tacklers in the face, so it wasn't always a good idea.

My brother's played with a few AFL players, and he used to be an athlete - was miles faster than any of the footy players. In fact, he used to run against the Hawthorn players at Glenhuntly, who'd compete over the Summer to gain speed and keep their fitness up. In a 100, he was beating the likes of Shane Crawford when he was 15.

My brother was gobsmacked when he had people wanting him to play footy for his pace - in comparison to the people he hung out with, he wasn't fast enough to cut it as a sprinter, but given he had a strong body, could get the ball, and was blazingly fast in comparison to others on the footy field, had he really loved playing footy, he probably would've been drafted. He just wanted to be a scientist more than anything; I still don't get how anyone loves chemistry that much.

These footy players are not nearly as fast as people may think. We knew a guy who was a long jumper, he was 196cm and ran a hundred in 10.5, while being KPP size, he would've been legitimately one of the fastest players in the league, we're talking faster than Aaron Davey at the height of Nick Riewoldt.

The point is physical talent is not abound in the AFL, footy smarts determine who makes it much more than what they can physically do.

vinnie_vegas69 said:
. We knew a guy who was a long jumper, he was 196cm and ran a hundred in 10.5, while being KPP size, he would've been legitimately one of the fastest players in the league, we're talking faster than Aaron Davey at the height of Nick Riewoldt.
His name wasn't Lance Franklin was it? :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Franklin was a 400m runner and long jumper.

10.5 is ********ing quick kane tenaces best is a 10.8 and he was victorian under 18 champion.

A highly rated draftee for next year is 190cm or more and runs the 100m in 10.8

CyberKev said:
I'll say!

It's bloody embarrassing for Hawthorn and they just don't learn the lesson.

Jordan Lewis??!! Pfft, he was too slow for the TAC!

I don't know how he had the temerity to turn-up to training and to face his teammates while battling away on a trifling average of 30 possies a game?!

Deep down the shame would of been tearing him apart, just knowing that if he could only have been a few tenths of a second faster he may have been squaring away a lazy 50+ possies a week like a real footballer...

:D Bloody hawks when will they ever learn, the "extractor" is too slow. But seroisly you cant be too bad if you have a cool nickname like that!!

Anyone seen Matty White from Calder Cannons...?? He would be in year 12 at my school this year but left about 2 years ago...i think to focus on footy...or to go to a school with a better sport program.
He's explosively fast and has great endurance...he always did very well at state level in the athletics....
i noticed someone put him in as a possible top 30 pick...
anyone think he's a goer???

Based on his form at Calder...,........i could see him going 18 - 30! Is having a pretty good year !

Remove this Banner Ad

Very early Phantom draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back