Review VFL Round 15, 2014 - Williamstown v Box Hill Hawks, Burbank Oval, Saturday, 29 March 2014 @ 1.10pm

Remove this Banner Ad

I still can't believe we got Hartung in the draft. He just runs and runs and runs. And just when you think he can't run anymore..... well you know the rest...

With himself and Hill in the same side in years to come, plus most of our young midfielders, our running worries are just about over

Is Grimley injured?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Did not play in the preseason games and not training.

Looks very frustrated.

No idea whats wrong it is not an obvious injury, but I'd guess we won't see him for a while as he'd need a basic level of fitness even just to tackle the VFL games.

Some tremendous tall marks from Cegs. Cannot understand the lack of love for this guy. Good to see he was in the best.

I would love to get Andy Collins back. His teams are always hard at it. They roughed up a few of our lads and all stood up.

Really happy with Webster. Disposal is suspect but he has speed to burn. It looked like he was only playing off a HFF. I hope to see him transition through the midfield as he gets stronger.

I was disappointed with Kelly, Hallahan and Lowden. All three have had ample AFL training and conditioning. All should be smashing the door down demanding selection. None were horrible but none were outstanding.

I have to disagree with you on Hallahan, I thought he was really good. He did get pinged for holding the ball a few times but that is going to happen when you are always on the bottom of a pile of players, which Hallahan seemed to be. The umps also seemed very quick to ping players for holding the ball.

I really can't think of a way to describe Mitch other than hard and tough. He doesn't really catch the eye or do anything flashy but when you go back and look at the plays he was involved in and the way he gets to the ball and distributes it with no fuss or flash, you realise how good he actually is. He seemed to always be on the bottom of packs contesting for the ball and often winning it. As I said before, he is Sewell with better skills.

I really can't think of a way to describe Mitch other than hard and tough. He doesn't really catch the eye or do anything flashy but when you go back and look at the plays he was involved in and the way he gets to the ball and distributes it with no fuss or flash, you realise how good he actually is. He seemed to always be on the bottom of packs contesting for the ball and often winning it. As I said before, he is Sewell with better skills.

When I started following Box Hill last year I noticed when he came to the bench he nearly always had a dirty jumper, says it all!

The story is Shem had someone stand on his foot in a school ruby game last year so he is just doing light running etc. atm so no footy for the forseeable future.

No idea how long it will be before he can play at VFL DS level. However, one would expect that he have to resume ful training a month or so before contemplating a return to match footy.

I am sure that HBD would have a fuller story to tell should be chose to do so.

I still can't believe we got Hartung in the draft. He just runs and runs and runs. And just when you think he can't run anymore..... well you know the rest...

With himself and Hill in the same side in years to come, plus most of our young midfielders, our running worries are just about over

His does run a lot but it's no where near the speed of a Hill. That's what sets Hilly apart. Hartung will need to add a few strings to his bow. He wont run around blokes in the seniors like he did in the U18s.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Took a bunch of pics, so I'll dump them here.

Willy vs Bradley Hill.
civ8.jpg

Jedi goes the tackle. Some of his tackling was superb. Cyril-like in his strength.
7mr8.jpg

k9vm.jpg

Lowden goes up, Woody, Jed and Mitch(O'donnell) at the feet.
2q5j.jpg

Sicily and 13 tangle(directors cut = extra long edition).
hw8n.jpg

gcu6.jpg

ojdg.jpg

Wang delivers forward.
wzx6.jpg

Cegs contests, Webster(45) is about to hit the pack at pace.
nnyz.jpg

I made the pics quite small without cropping, accidentally. Whoopsee.

Ross is a bit like Hallahan in that he goes under the radar. Was surprised to see him named our best but upon a review of the game he was pretty handy.

Jed is just a freak. Really hope he can stay on the park for an extended period. It is laughable how often the ball goes to where he runs to. 6th sense if I have ever seen one and really only ever seems to be jogging around the ground.

Webster looks like a mature age recruit. Has something special reading the fall of the ball and as others have said hits as hard as possible. His kicking is going to be the thing that determines if he makes it or not but certainly looks like he is super determined which is one quality you cant teach. A good rookie chance.

Pretty good signs that all our VFL senior debutants - Sicily, Hartung, Webster, Brand, Woody, Heatherly - all looked up to the grade and all of them showed some really good signs. Woody in particular.

Sicily is class - what are people's thoughts on why he slid in the draft? Didnt realise he was 23rd man in the VFL last year which is a great sign - I assumed he was more untested than that and may have been one of the reasons he didnt go earlier.

Lowden was the biggest disappointment for mine. He still has a flawed overhead marking technique and he still hasnt improved his kicking.

Ceglar is quite funny in that he divides opinion. I can see the potential there in the long run but I think he is a tad soft at times and I also get the feeling that he is a bit self centred. Doesnt really seem to contemplate doing the team things and certainly doesnt engage his teammates on field.

Loved Spang's game.

No. 4 who shall remain nameless can certainly play too.

Thanks for the photos Echols, it's a very picturesque ground I must say with the sailing boats in the background :)

What was the crowd like? It looked very small on the TV.
Smallish crowd, I would've thought. Maybe one thousand people? Hard to tell. Everyone was spaced out.

Plenty going on out on the bay though.
Great day for it.

Whilst I understand you guys don't really give a hoot about the VFL players. I think most of the deb's did a great job. As we all know, the next recruit could come from there.
quite the contrary i would say around here - most of us have a keen eye for the vfl listed players particularly given how good box hill has been for the afl as a hunting ground. it just seems that we cant quite land them before other clubs do in the drafts.

Sicily is class - what are people's thoughts on why he slid in the draft?
I believe(and hope) he suffered the same way Fyfe did. Very skinny and question marks over his ability to play in the midfield. Also, a lot of clubs went for this new 190+ big bodied midfielder. (Cripps/Robertson/Jensen)

He really looks like he'll be a damaging player if he can put on a reasonable amount of size.

quite the contrary i would say around here - most of us have a keen eye for the vfl listed players particularly given how good box hill has been for the afl as a hunting ground. it just seems that we cant quite land them before other clubs do in the drafts.
And hence, we don't talk them up on here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review VFL Round 15, 2014 - Williamstown v Box Hill Hawks, Burbank Oval, Saturday, 29 March 2014 @ 1.10pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Back