Vic Metro Squad 07

Remove this Banner Ad

Can the squad be added to...

I saw a under age kid at the jets yesterday kick 5 goals from the flank in 15 minutes in the third quarter and single handedly break open a tight game.

The kid can certainly play. M Banner.

Can the squad be added to...

I saw a under age kid at the jets yesterday kick 5 goals from the flank in 15 minutes in the third quarter and single handedly break open a tight game.

The kid can certainly play. M Banner.
Banner was remarkable against the Knights too. With this sort of form he'd have to consider himself very unlucky.

The Metro v Country trials are on this Saturday and for as long as I can remember players have always been added late to the squads so it's not over for those kids who show some late form.

What about Pete Robertson from the Cannons, got best on ground last week??

Over-age.

These lists are the squads for the trial games. I don't know what the structure will be but it goes some way to explaining the larger squads.

In the past Metro has had 6-quarter intra-club games, allowing that some will miss with injury, you'd need 50-ish.

I pencilled down my list of 40 that I thought that would make Metro and only Reid (Oakleigh), Young (Calder) and Kennedy (Western) missed out. So I think it is a fairly predicatble selection - no complaints.

Over-age.

These lists are the squads for the trial games. I don't know what the structure will be but it goes some way to explaining the larger squads.

In the past Metro has had 6-quarter intra-club games, allowing that some will miss with injury, you'd need 50-ish.

I pencilled down my list of 40 that I thought that would make Metro and only Reid (Oakleigh), Young (Calder) and Kennedy (Western) missed out. So I think it is a fairly predicatble selection - no complaints.

I was surprised Young missed out also Weaver. He looked perfect for a run-with role on some of the oppositions better mids.

I am surprised that you don't believe Banner (Western) should be in the squad. He has been the best performed player in a 4-1 team, and filled roles in the backline, midfield and forward line.

He collected 38 possessions vs Northern (playing in a back-pocket), then was swung forward against Murray on the weekend and kicked half-a-dozen goals.

I honestly dont know what he has to do.

I am surprised that you don't believe Banner (Western) should be in the squad. He has been the best performed player in a 4-1 team, and filled roles in the backline, midfield and forward line.

He collected 38 possessions vs Northern (playing in a back-pocket), then was swung forward against Murray on the weekend and kicked half-a-dozen goals.

I honestly dont know what he has to do.
I'm with you, he turned the match on the weekend. He'd be in my best 57 Metro TAC Cup players.

Certainly his form on the weekend warrants an inclusion, despite the fact he's bottom aged.

Banner can and will be added to the list. Young has not got the physical capabilities to play AFL footballer. Good TAC footballer though.

Banner can and will be added to the list. Young has not got the physical capabilities to play AFL footballer. Good TAC footballer though.

Could you elaborate on his physical capabilities that will prevent him from playing AFL? Not doubting your assessment, as he definitely has weaknesses in his game, but they're appearing to becoming less and less of a factor as he matures.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FCS - they have to add Banner. We cannot have a championship without him in it.

I dont agree with the second part - despite his form he should not be a walk up start. What he should get is an opportunity in the trial game.

There are not many places up for grabs in the metro squad this year - I believe as many as 20 players would have to do some terrible things over the next few weeks to miss out. I actually dont have a problem with this - consistent form over a number of seasons should count for something.

But in a squad of 57 I want to see form players in the TAC Cup given the opportunity to show that they belong - or otherwise I guess. Banner was one of those before his performance against the Bushies. If foj1 is right and he is added, that is terrific. I guess the point is that with Vic selectors present for at least 2 of the Jets first 4 games and (of course) full video available if they weren't, how could he not be part of that 57.

I dont agree with the second part - despite his form he should not be a walk up start. What he should get is an opportunity in the trial game.

There are not many places up for grabs in the metro squad this year - I believe as many as 20 players would have to do some terrible things over the next few weeks to miss out. I actually dont have a problem with this - consistent form over a number of seasons should count for something.

But in a squad of 57 I want to see form players in the TAC Cup given the opportunity to show that they belong - or otherwise I guess. Banner was one of those before his performance against the Bushies. If foj1 is right and he is added, that is terrific. I guess the point is that with Vic selectors present for at least 2 of the Jets first 4 games and (of course) full video available if they weren't, how could he not be part of that 57.

Fair call - but isnt this the old debate with Metro - they dont necessarily pick the developing players with more upside - rather, preferring the more physically stronger types. I am not saying its my view but surely Banner should be in.

I pencilled down my list of 40 that I thought that would make Metro and Kennedy (Western) missed

Interesting to place Kennedy in there. Has always had a natural footballing ability but couldnt make the squad of a club that only had 5 wins last year. Just wondering why you believed he deserved a trial game

Good to see that he is playing consistently well and that they are winning.

Fair call - but isnt this the old debate with Metro - they dont necessarily pick the developing players with more upside - rather, preferring the more physically stronger types. I am not saying its my view but surely Banner should be in.

Banner should be in the final squad, let alone the intial one of 57.

**banner has now been added
Good news.

Even before the weekend he was averaging 24 possessions a game, surely those figures were deserving enough of a spot. Anyway credit to him for putting in a big one on the weekend and the selectors for correcting their oversight. A lesson other players can no doubt learn from - if at first you don't succeed put the head down, backside up and keep persisting. The door is never closed.

After todays trial game I think the final VM squad of 25 will be along the lines of

1.Kreuser
2.Cotchin
3. Maric
4. Farmer
5. Veszpremi
6. Black
7. Grimes
8. DeBruin
9. Hill
10. Simpson
11. Grant
12. Daniher
13. Sullivan
14. Vickery
15. Gaertner
16. Bongetti
17. McCarthy
18. Laidler
19. Lynch
20. Hoegel
21. Polkinghorne
22. Joyce
23. Arrowsmith
24. Suckling
25. Burstin or Lobbe or Di Martino.

Some will say where's Prismall, and he will probably get a game but I don't think he is infront of those 27 on todays effort.

Stanton, Otten and Spiteri have to be in the mix. Plenty of 188+ kids to pick from. Dale Walkers kicking leaves him out of my squad.

Remove this Banner Ad

Vic Metro Squad 07

Remove this Banner Ad

Back