Vic Metro Squad 07

Remove this Banner Ad

Some will say where's Prismall, and he will probably get a game but I don't think he is infront of those 27 on todays effort.

Stanton, Otten and Spiteri have to be in the mix. Plenty of 188+ kids to pick from. Dale Walkers kicking leaves him out of my squad.

Isn't there another game tomorrow?

I would say a premature adjudication.

Hope it is not a common problem

Some will say where's Prismall, and he will probably get a game but I don't think he is infront of those 27 on todays effort.

Stanton, Otten and Spiteri have to be in the mix. Plenty of 188+ kids to pick from. Dale Walkers kicking leaves him out of my squad.

How can you not have Spiteri in your squad? He made vic metro last year when he was bottom aged. I would also think that Otten, Prismall, and Meredith would make it. Do u have any info on the U/16s matches.

How can you not have Spiteri in your squad? He made vic metro last year when he was bottom aged. I would also think that Otten, Prismall, and Meredith would make it. Do u have any info on the U/16s matches.

Spiteri has done nothing to enthuse me this year to be honest. Vic Metro have a wealth of quality KPP's, I would have Bongetti, Geartner, Simspon, Daniher, Otten, Hurley ahead of him for starters.

After todays trial game I think the final VM squad of 25 will be along the lines of

1.Kreuser
2.Cotchin
3. Maric
4. Farmer
5. Veszpremi
6. Black
7. Grimes
8. DeBruin
9. Hill
10. Simpson
11. Grant
12. Daniher
13. Sullivan
14. Vickery
15. Gaertner
16. Bongetti
17. McCarthy
18. Laidler
19. Lynch
20. Hoegel
21. Polkinghorne
22. Joyce
23. Arrowsmith
24. Suckling
25. Burstin or Lobbe or Di Martino.

Sez, just went through the same exercise before reading this, I think i had about 3 players different:

Otten, Prismall and Potts instead of Hoegel, Joyce and Farmer. Potts and Joyce would really be like a midget throwing contest though :eek: . While Dyl is dangerous up forward I probably gave the nod to Potts for his work around the ground and early TAC form. I think it would be hard to leave out Otten and Prismall even though they probably haven't lived up to potential (file them in the Sandilands basket of needsto work harder to play to potential). I would also probably sneak Zomer into pos. 25. Not because i am a huge fan but I'm really not sure who else will play FB. I suppose you like bongo down back whereas i have been encoouraged by his perfomances up forward so far this year.

Cheers :thumbsu:

I'd say where is Potts? BOG for mine. Also Ash Smith was very good as well across half-back.

Plenty to like about Gaertner - but can you carry someone who kicks that badly?

I'd go for -

B: Farmer - Vickery - Daniher
HB: A.Smith - CHB - Vezpremi
C: Arrowsmith - Cotchin - Lynch
HF: Prismall - Otten - McCarthy
F: Laidler - DiMartino - Maric
R: Kreuzer - Grimes - Potts
I: Lobbe - De Bruin - Sandilands - Suckling
E: Polkinghorne - Bongetti - Walker

CHB - Zomer / Dulic / Spiteri / Grant

For mine CHB is the spot up for grabs. I have Dulic ahead at the moment although Zomer and Grant out preformed him today.

(I'd still like to see Aaron Coen and Nyaburu Kelly brought in)

Just wandering if anyone can tell me how the 5 PEGS boys went, Maric, Cotchin, Joyce, Trengrove & Dimatina?

Maric was good if not spectacular, didn't get it as often as some others but when he did he used it well and usually hurt the other side. Cotchin was rested (i think has been unwell), Joyce had his usual periods of being a livewire up forward, but in the long run you would think his height will hurt him. Trengove did some good things and some ordinary things. If not this year he will get his shot next year barring something very unfortunate. Dimatina had some real purple patches (esp. in the third quarter IIRC). Is a big strong lump of a lad but probably lacks a bit of athleticism that the other Vic Metro KPP's have. Just my opinions as a mug punter.

Maric was good if not spectacular, didn't get it as often as some others but when he did he used it well and usually hurt the other side. Cotchin was rested (i think has been unwell), Joyce had his usual periods of being a livewire up forward, but in the long run you would think his height will hurt him. Trengove did some good things and some ordinary things. If not this year he will get his shot next year barring something very unfortunate. Dimatina had some real purple patches (esp. in the third quarter IIRC). Is a big strong lump of a lad but probably lacks a bit of athleticism that the other Vic Metro KPP's have. Just my opinions as a mug punter.

Thanks Gilly:thumbsu:

I actually like Spiteri and Otten. I would have no probs with Spiteri playing CHB. He gave Scott a bath at Colac the other week playing CHB. Weaver doesn't have Simpson in his squad so maybe that may be the one to miss for Spiteri from my 25. Simpson has had a slow start to the year due to injury but he has great hands and a real presence so if he continues to improve leading up to the Champs he might be hard to leave out.

Otten can run hot and cold and has talent but who do you leave out for him. Not a fan of Prismall at this time so I have left him out. No malice just an opinion over many games.

I'm sure Joyce will get a game due to his pace and goal kicking ability. Maybe Potts for Black in my squad Gilly but Black is harder at it and VM always go the hard nuts first and foremost.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Weaver couldn't you fit Hill into your team? He was very good today and so far in the TAC in 07. Good speed, good kick.

I like him and he would be one of the first in if there was an injury.

By the time I had Potts, Polkinghorne and De Bruin as rovers - Veszpremi and Grimes - Cotchin and Suckling to come in. It was getting crowded.

For the other spots I wanted flexible players. Otten, Sandilands and Lynch can play KP, midfield anywhere. Vickery and Sandilands can pinch hit in the ruck. Prismall and Maric can kick goals.

On Otten - I think some of the perception may be because he was played so many spots. CHB, FF, wing, ruck-rover. Difficult to tear things up. Also he has been played as a go-to forward. I think as a Steve Johnson type floating forward he is at his best. When Krezuer and DiMartino are down there I don't want another monster. That's when you need an Otten, Lynch or Prismall.

On Gaertner - I think the athletic freak who can play anywhere position is better filled by Vickery, Otten, Lynch, Sandilands, Daniher and Arrowsmith. Krezuer and Lobbe changing between CHF and the ruck. Big DiMartino. A couple of tall defenders and I think that covers the tall spots. Gaertner's kicking is too bad when there are so many other similar options.

I think those tall utilites are where Metro will win it this year. Fielding 4-5 guys who can play wing / ruck rover / CHF / CHB will create match-up nightmares.

They just have to be careful that they have enough little blokes so they aren't 'mosquito-fleeted' by SA and WA. In the air they will be unstopable.

What happened to Veszpremi Farmer and Dell'aqullia after half time yesturday they all started well and didnt come out after half time:confused:

James Strauss's chances at making the final squad anyone? He is bottom aged so I would probably think he would be an outsider to play this year, but boy, he has some talent. Interesting to see if Henderson comes up, how long is he still out for?

What happened to Veszpremi Farmer and Dell'aqullia after half time yesturday they all started well and didnt come out after half time:confused:

Veszpremi and Farmer both sat out the second half. Both sat on the bench iced up. Nothing sinister just the normal after game stuff.

Could you elaborate on his physical capabilities that will prevent him from playing AFL? Not doubting your assessment, as he definitely has weaknesses in his game, but they're appearing to becoming less and less of a factor as he matures.
Shannon has poor agility, take off speed and endurance. He is an exceptional mark above his head, strong and hard in the clinches and should hve played on dean Kelly in last years grand Final. Will just make the Cannons best 22 by September I would suggest.

Since when has that been part of Dicksons selection criteria.

There will be a significant change of philosophy this year which emanates from a much higher source then Dickson- in fact too hard a code for him to crack!

James Strauss's chances at making the final squad anyone? He is bottom aged so I would probably think he would be an outsider to play this year, but boy, he has some talent. Interesting to see if Henderson comes up, how long is he still out for?

Given the strength of the VM squad, think he might just miss out. He'll be there for sure next year though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Vic Metro Squad 07

Remove this Banner Ad

Back