Vic Metro Squad 07

Remove this Banner Ad

There will be a significant change of philosophy this year which emanates from a much higher source then Dickson- in fact too hard a code for him to crack!
Is the reference to "Code" a clue? Actually it was terrific to see new AFL Vic boss Peter Schwab at Vic Park yesterday, I don't think I ever saw Gannon at any underage footy.

I'll be keen to see if your information is correct, although you're always pretty astute with your comments foj1 so I reckon it will be.

How did you rate McCarthys game yesterday footyman? Personally, I thought he was terrific, and his 1st quarter was just sensational. Looks to have most of the tools required to make it at AFL level, but I would like to see him a few more times before I can make a proper assesment.

I'd go for -

B: Farmer - Vickery - Daniher
HB: A.Smith - CHB - Vezpremi
C: Arrowsmith - Cotchin - Lynch
HF: Prismall - Otten - McCarthy
F: Laidler - DiMartino - Maric
R: Kreuzer - Grimes - Potts
I: Lobbe - De Bruin - Sandilands - Suckling
E: Polkinghorne - Bongetti - Walker

CHB - Zomer / Dulic / Spiteri / Grant
yer that looks good weever. dunno about suckling tho hes not much good i think polkinghorn is a way better player so id swap them round. and daniher do u think he could b a chb?

yer that looks good weever. dunno about suckling tho hes not much good i think polkinghorn is a way better player so id swap them round. and daniher do u think he could b a chb?

Daniher is probably best suited to that 3rd defender role because his rebounding and running are so valuable. He could probably hold down CHB if he didn't come up against a real monster.

Polkinghore has had a very good season and could well be number 1 rover. The 'emergency' selection normally doesn't matter too much. It used to be a 25 man squad who would all play over the course of the week. Now the system has changed things might be a bit different.

How did the Jets boys go anyone?

and Nic Cattapan from Calder?

Di Martino played pretty well IMHO. Presented pretty well at CHF, and has a good set of hands. Callan Ward also did some good things, although he did start off the game pretty slow.

Cattapan did some nice things, although he was in and out of the game. At 179cm, he needs to be better than he is to be drafted.

Di Martino played pretty well IMHO. Presented pretty well at CHF, and has a good set of hands. Callan Ward also did some good things, although he did start off the game pretty slow.

Cattapan did some nice things, although he was in and out of the game. At 179cm, he needs to be better than he is to be drafted.

ah ok thanks heaps for that, played with Di Martino last year and has quite a bit of potential but coulda done alot more. Seems hes stepeed up this year for sure which is great to see.

How did the Jets boys go anyone?

Not that you will give much credence to my opinion, but;

Prismall: OK. Didn't set the world on fire but didn't play bad. Played on a HBF for most of the game which was interesting - has done a bit of that at club level, but not this year.

Black: Pretty good once he went into the centre. Was a little 'in and out' when he was playing back (seemed to be playing deep back (bp)) but was serviceable. I think his decision making with the footy has really improved.

Sullivan: Excellent effort from the big fella. Best game for the year.

Banner: Pretty hard when you have splinters in your backside.

Dimartino: Attack on the ball (can be his biggest issue) was really good. Jets really missed him vs Murray - is really impacting the game at the moment and did so again in the trial.

Ward: Pretty good. Go thrown around everywhere - back, forward and even in the midfield - and responded pretty well. Attacked the ball, showed his clean hands and delivered well. Interesting player, and he has really come from nowhere to be honest.

Also thought Sandilands did ok as well. Had seen him a couple of times before the the trial game, and really looked like he was going through the motions for Oakleigh. However, perhaps a step up in the standard of the game bought out the best in him.

Played across HB and even played on Di Martino IIRC.

Not that you will give much credence to my opinion, but;

Prismall: OK. Didn't set the world on fire but didn't play bad. Played on a HBF for most of the game which was interesting - has done a bit of that at club level, but not this year.

Black: Pretty good once he went into the centre. Was a little 'in and out' when he was playing back (seemed to be playing deep back (bp)) but was serviceable. I think his decision making with the footy has really improved.

Sullivan: Excellent effort from the big fella. Best game for the year.

Banner: Pretty hard when you have splinters in your backside.

Dimartino: Attack on the ball (can be his biggest issue) was really good. Jets really missed him vs Murray - is really impacting the game at the moment and did so again in the trial.

Ward: Pretty good. Go thrown around everywhere - back, forward and even in the midfield - and responded pretty well. Attacked the ball, showed his clean hands and delivered well. Interesting player, and he has really come from nowhere to be honest.

Why would i not give u much credit with your opinion? and who from the jets will make it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How did Darcy Daniher play?

Tough year for talented son

Darcy Daniher
SHOULD I go to Essendon or Sydney?

It is a great predicament for an aspiring AFL footballer to have, but it could be the choice that under-18 Calder Cannons player Darcy Daniher, son of AFL great Anthony, may have to face at the end of the year.

Both the Bombers and the Swans could draft the curly-haired boy from Ascot Vale under the father-son rule.

Daniher is coy about talk of his future, preferring to resort to the old football cliche: ``I'm just taking it one week at a time.''

``I'd be rapt to go absolutely anywhere,'' he said.

``With Sydney it is a whole new opportunity, but with Essendon I would still have all my friends around.''

The 17-year-old's initial concern is making the cut for the Vic Metro under-18 squad for this year's national championships.

Darcy played with 58 other TAC Cup players, on Saturday, in a practice match that went some way to deciding who will represent Vic Metro in July.

There are 13 Cannons in the initial squad, which will be cut to 35 players this week and later a final squad of 25 players.

``I love getting the chance to have a crack.

``It is a good opportunity,'' Daniher told the Leader.

``You know all the players from looking in the (TAC Cup) bests each week so it is pretty nerve-wracking.''

``Hopefully I can play my best footy and we will see how it goes from there.''

The key-position player said he was not concerned about the pressure that having the Daniher name imposes.

``Other people mention it but I try not to take much notice of it (the family name), but you do know it is there.

``My dad gives me some advice. He tends to be pretty quiet. He is not over the top.''

Daniher, who stands at 192cm, had a season-best performance in round 5 of the TAC Cup with 15 kicks and seven marks.

Other Cannons to impress in Saturday's trial game were freakish midfielder James Polkinghorne, of Strathmore, and key-position player Travis Dulic, of Glenroy.

The Cannons face Dandenong at Coburg on Saturday at 11am.

Why would i not give u much credit with your opinion? and who from the jets will make it?

OK. I will ignore the first part of your response apart from to say I know who you are and assumed you knew who I was! Needless to say, I didn't think our last conversation was a positive one...that said:

I expect Prismall and Sullivan to make it.

I believe Black deserves to make it based on his performances over the past two seasons. He has his detractors though so I have no idea what will happen there.

Dimartino has improved out of sight over the preseason and Ward is a very poised player who is making an impact on the competition. I guess both these players have come under consideration relatively late in the game so I really have no idea whether this is a positive or a negative.

Based purely on performance this year Banner should be challenging for the small defender role, however based on opportunities he received on the weekend that his cards have been marked.

Really, all the Jets players need to understand that 4 good performances in 2007 will not change the perception of their region or of themselves. What they need to do is play strong, consistent footy - starting with the match against Eastern this week - and use their performances to show the selectors why they should be in the team. This might seem simplistic, but if the team can continue winning then I suspect pressure on the selectors will grow to include more than one or two players from the region. After all, credit for winning matches will need to be assigned somewhere.

On the other hand, if results (and performances) over the next few weeks are poor, then I think selections will be minimal.

Based purely on performance this year Banner should be challenging for the small defender role, however based on opportunities he received on the weekend that his cards have been marked.

As good as Banner has been I'd say that Farmer and Veszpremi would be 2 of the first guys picked. Competition will prove too tough for him this year. Next year will be his go.

OK. I will ignore the first part of your response apart from to say I know who you are and assumed you knew who I was! Needless to say, I didn't think our last conversation was a positive one...that said:

I expect Prismall and Sullivan to make it.

I believe Black deserves to make it based on his performances over the past two seasons. He has his detractors though so I have no idea what will happen there.

Dimartino has improved out of sight over the preseason and Ward is a very poised player who is making an impact on the competition. I guess both these players have come under consideration relatively late in the game so I really have no idea whether this is a positive or a negative.

Really, all the Jets players need to understand that 4 good performances in 2007 will not change the perception of their region or of themselves. What they need to do is play strong, consistent footy - starting with the match against Eastern this week - and use their performances to show the selectors why they should be in the team. This might seem simplistic, but if the team can continue winning then I suspect pressure on the selectors will grow to include more than one or two players from the region. After all, credit for winning matches will need to be assigned somewhere.

On the other hand, if results (and performances) over the next few weeks are poor, then I think selections will be minimal.

well i dont no who u r and i am guessing u aint gonna tell me now, but please do, pm if u wish!!
But ur opinions there seem very valid there neways!! Let me know who u r cose i have no idea, and am sure all culd be sorted out if thats the case!

J.McCarthy didn't.
that is the biggest joke ever was almost best on in the pracy match. Just because he doesnt have a name like other blokes already do. If he slips through this years draft as well that is amazing this kid is seriously a gun. He showed it on the Vic Metro praccy match, is amazing he didn't get selected...thoughts from those who saw the match? How can he miss out?

J.McCarthy didn't.
Valid comments you made, I thought he deserved to remain in the squad based on that trial game, there were a number of worse performers on that day.

Trying to understand the mentality of the Vic Metro selectors is a challenge I gave up many years ago. However I don't envy their position this year, cutting players from this crop will probably be the hardest job they'd had in some years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Vic Metro Squad 07

Remove this Banner Ad

Back