VIC vs WA

Remove this Banner Ad

Filled with it, seems like a player who wouldn't struggle to adapt to playing AFL footy.
Definitly. A Justin Sherman like clone. Runs hard and loves to push forward and kick a few between the sticks. Will be interesting to see how he goes on the vic grounds.

Pretty easy to see why Kruezer (how ever u spell it) is the number 1. Unlike last year, this years number 1 is undisputable. Crotchin, where did he go?? Started well but dropped off big time. Hes opponent, McGinnity i thought was outstanding.

And Sampey reminds me of Mitch Clark big time.

Rhys Palmer: 34 possessions and 5.2.
Chris Masten: 26 possessions.

^ Probably the best two players but Kreuzer played very well for Victoria.

Palmer and Masten were probably the best 2 on the ground.

Palmer was very clean and composed with ball. He rarely fumbled and everything was one touch. He's not a particularly deadly kick but he made good decisions and finished off really well.

Masten was exceptional in close and around the clearances. This is something I know Carlton definately need as we don't have any really great stoppage players. Only concern would be whether he can put on the weight required as he has a pretty small frame. His kicking didn't look as bad as reported but still isn't his best attribute (although he didn't kick much today)

Cotchin was definately the disappointment of the day. He looked skillful and classy in the 1st quater but struggled to find the ball after that. Didn't seem to be working very hard to break the tag either and will need to up his work rate in the next match. I'm still hoping CFC can pick him up though.

A player who i thought played very well today but hasnt got a mention on this thread yet is Daniel Rich. Played very well i though today, he got a stack of the ball and his use was excellent.

A player who i thought played very well today but hasnt got a mention on this thread yet is Daniel Rich. Played very well i though today, he got a stack of the ball and his use was excellent.

Agree with that. His kicking was outstanding. But I'm not sure if he's eligible this year...

Wasn't impressed with kruezer.

Would be happy if the AFC drafted any of the following:

Yarran, Sampey, Masten, Palmer, Morton :)

You weren't impressed with kreuzer?!??!?!?!?!?!

a guy who stands 199cm, had 16 touches kicked a goal had 23 hit outs and his side got done by 10 goals. Yet he wasnt impressive. SOme of his running ability and contested marking were outstanding today. Cemented a spot at Number 1 today IMO

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well done WA.

Obviously impressed with them. Gee Gourdis and Sampey were everything we were told they would be. Morton is certainly going to be right up their. Also impressed with Notte although his kicking will hold him back. Rich, Myers, Masten, Palmer, Yarran, Gartlett, Ellard, Jacky all very good.Yhought Pears worked into game as well.

Vics were pretty average. Kruezer was very good as was Maric as game wore on. Cotchin was v ordinary and his bloke not only beat him but got a heap of it. Grimes workman like. I actually thought Simpson was good - led to the ball well. Thought the Vics lost a bit when they took him off in the Q1. Hurley was as good as he could be. Geartner needs to do more than that but he wasnt alone. Prismall tried but expecting more. Thought Polkinghorne, Ward and Farmer worked into the game. Arrowsmith showed me why I dont tend to rate him highly. Lobbe - has got something and could develop nicely.

The lack of run and absence of pressure from the Vic Metro boys was very, very disappointing. To say that 10 months of planning to produce a side that could play at Subiaco Oval was time that would have been better spent at the pub/beach/in the garden/with the family (choose appropriate description) is an understatement.

Will be interesting to see how the selectors react.

What a ridiculous comment Gets! Along with Polkinghorne and Grimes, Kruezer was the best for VM today. I'd like to know what didn't impress you today.

Well done WA.

Obviously impressed with them. Gee Gourdis and Sampey were everything we were told they would be. Morton is certainly going to be right up their. Also impressed with Notte although his kicking will hold him back. Rich, Myers, Masten, Palmer, Yarran, Gartlett, Ellard, Jacky all very good.Yhought Pears worked into game as well.

Vics were pretty average. Kruezer was very good as was Maric as game wore on. Cotchin was v ordinary and his bloke not only beat him but got a heap of it. Grimes workman like. I actually thought Simpson was good - led to the ball well. Thought the Vics lost a bit when they took him off in the Q1. Hurley was as good as he could be. Geartner needs to do more than that but he wasnt alone. Prismall tried but expecting more. Thought Polkinghorne, Ward and Farmer worked into the game. Arrowsmith showed me why I dont tend to rate him highly. Lobbe - has got something and could develop nicely.

I think that's a pretty fair summary of the game there Snnop Dog. Also thought Rance played well out of the backline. Both he, Pears and Browne teamed well to give WA a fair bit of drive off HB.

I can only remember 1 time in which Masten hit hes target by foot. I think he mentally knows that hes kicking is a downer hence hes Handball first mentality.

Very Cross like in how he runs all day (massive tank), very good in close, sensational hands. But Cross' kicks will hit the target when it has to.

For mine (and it very well may just be my own opinion), his teammates in Rich and Palmer made him look better than he played.

The fact that he only started to hit his groove only when the game was already won disappointed me.

sorry but i dont agree with that. I thought he was fantastic and fed it to palmer instead of the other way round...

Not impressed....? Come on mate, he wasn't at his very best but by gee, I'm excited to see him when he plays at his very best. He is a very very good player and a surefire number 1 to 3

My top 5 from both sides:
WA:
Palmer
Morton
Naitanui
Sampey
Masten

VIC:
Kreuzer
Grimes
Maric
Polkenhorne
Hurley

You weren't impressed with kreuzer?!??!?!?!?!?!

a guy who stands 199cm, had 16 touches kicked a goal had 23 hit outs and his side got done by 10 goals. Yet he wasnt impressive. SOme of his running ability and contested marking were outstanding today. Cemented a spot at Number 1 today IMO

I must admit I wasn't really that impressed given the wraps on him. Wouldn't take that much out of one game where they had to travel though, and I haven't seen him at all at TAC level. Having said that, I don't really think we can blame the fact his side got flogged for his individual performance - a ruckman has first opportunity with no need to rely on his teammates, and a good tall should dominate in the air at U/18 level.

Vic Metro were absolutely slaughtered in the midfield, yet Kreuzer and Cotchin have been the two players bandied about most for the two top picks. Collectively, surely they have to share a fair portion of the blame for that.

Kreuzer is extremely mobile and obviously a tremendous athlete, but I thought most of his ruckwork was just average (especially considering the lesser WA talls he got many of his hitouts against) and some of his kicking wasn't great (although well above average for a ruckman). He'll be a good player - he fought back well, showed plenty of courage and it was a good performance, but still a bit disappointing to me given his apparent pre-carnival strangehold on the no.1 pick. He seems halfway between a pure ruckman and a towering, mobile key forward. I'm not sure - based purely on today's performance - he'll ever make a bullet proof 1st ruckman in a top side, and that makes me wonder whether or not he deserves the no.1 pick...much like Leunberger last year.

Cotchin was extremely disappointing - showed very little heart, did very little with the ball when he did have it...he has massive question marks next to his name based on today's performance...he went totally MIA and showed no desire to do something about it. Polkinghorn and Grimes weren't any better...none of them look to be a great kick and were really shown up in this area by most of the WA side - especially the mids.

Palmer is a very confident kid who looks a natural leader, good skills, good pace and endurance, very safe top-10 pick IMO. Masten looks to be a no-nonsense insider...nothing glamorous, but a workhorse who is good in close and has plenty of run and stamina. McGinnity was pretty good also - flogged Cotchin and has above average disposal. Rich looks a promising outside mid...excellent disposal and vision. Morton impressed me the most - he's a complete package. Naitanui could be anything...big goofy kid with a ton of potential if he can lose his awkwardness and pick up a yard of pace along the way. Can't wait to see him next year.

Quite a few small/mid-size flankers/pockets (Yarran, Jacky, Sampey, Maric) and defenders that were useful and you'd think quite a few of them will fill mid/late picks...nothing outstanding, but useful. Venturini showed glimpses of being worthwhile too IMO...bit of a smoky.

Remove this Banner Ad

VIC vs WA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back