Mega Thread VICBias - Genuine Discussion Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Agreed. Teams can now play where they want.

So the only solution is to move the grand final so that teams aren't disadvantaged by not playing there.

So all problem solved - grand final at highest placed teams home or rotated going forward.
I would love the AFL grand final to be played in Alice Springs or Hobart just for the LOLs

25 years of H&A ladders, shows that teams with a distinct home ground finish higher.

The H&A season is biased towards non-Melbourne teams.

It should be pretty obvious that AFL House policy of removing home ground advantage for one set of teams would see that group suffer compared to teams who retained their home ground advantage.

AFL House policy working, non-Melbourne teams dominate H&A ladder and the Northern expansion teams have played in the most GFs.
now ask me which side has been in more grand finals since the AFL era since 1990 between Collingwood and freo? lol

Lol. The Gaslighting. Now Geelong has been hard done by! In my Best Hutchy/shitty Victorian accent "Give Us a Spweall!"
Now I really hope there is 2 non vic sides that make the grand final in 2024.

If Port wins the flag under Ken Hinkley in 2024, god help us all.

I will enjoy your drunken rants on this thread, mentioning anything from vic bias to ken Hinkley. lol

Why are you counting, that wasnt the question posed.

Like StKilda, Port is a club that gets to play an away game at its home ground.

Unlike StKilda, Port gets ALL 11 of its home games at its preferred home ground the AO.

Port will get the fixture enhanced top4 H&A finish, and then blow home finals to better teams again.

#portbias is real
Yeah, but Port has a disadvantage as Ken Hinkley is their coach. So, it even out. lol

now ask me which side has been in more grand finals since the AFL era since 1990 between Collingwood and freo? lol
What happened in 1990 that changed anything?

In the 21st century, Fremantle have at least made a GF at the MCG.

Carlton, North and Melbourne havent even made a GF at the G. Essendon and the Bulldogs have also only appeared in just 1 GF at the G.

And in addition to Freo's 1 GF appearance, they also had a minor premiership but lost a home PF to another GF quality season.

Freo have been better performed that 5 of the Melbourne based teams in the 21st century.

But still run with the lazy #VICBIAS

What happened in 1990 that changed anything?

In the 21st century, Fremantle have at least made a GF at the MCG.

Carlton, North and Melbourne havent even made a GF at the G. Essendon and the Bulldogs have also only appeared in just 1 GF at the G.

And in addition to Freo's 1 GF appearance, they also had a minor premiership but lost a home PF to another GF quality season.

Freo have been better performed that 5 of the Melbourne based teams in the 21st century.

But still run with the lazy #VICBIAS
Name these 5 Victorian sides that Freo have performed better in the 21st century?

North and Carlton I can think of because those 2 haven made a grand final since they both faced each other since 1999.

Name these 5 Victorian sides that Freo have performed better in the 21st century?

North and Carlton I can think of because those 2 haven made a grand final since they both faced each other since 1999.
???
The 5 were listed in the post,the 5 Melbourne based teams who have played in 0 or 1 GF at the G in the 21st century.

And none of them had an additional season where they were minor premiers and blew a home PF.

But keep up lazy VICBias sook that teams like Carl, North, Melb, WB and Ess are better off compared to Sydney, Brisbane or SA teams who regularly finish top2, get home finals and regularly play in GFs.

Freo, in their short history, have twice as many hit 350 as the pies have had in 127 years in the VFL/AFL.

West Coast 11 players to 250. Pies 14 only 3 more in an extra 90 years. And obviously less than west coast in the same time frame.
You harp on about dockers having a couple of 350 gamers compared to Collingwoods one.

You also harp on about eagles having 11 players reached 250 games or more. How many of them played in the 1992 or 1994 flags? I can only think of Drew Banfield, Glen Jackovich and possibly Peter Matera.

The fact the matter is... Why are you concerned about 2 dockers playing 350 games?

I won't mind if the dockers side never produces another 300 games and Freo wins 2 or 3 or 4 flags between 2025-2054.

I don't know why magpies fans are bringing up their club only has 14 blokes that played 250 games or more.

They have won 16 premierships FFS.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because a myth pedalled by lazy VICBias sooks is that travel shortens careers.
Yet all research says that air travel, especially consistent air travel causes issues for athletes.
A 30 sec google brings up this one
Sure it is NBA but if it causes issues in a game with lesser physicality.

Yes there are ways to lessen the impact but the requirement to do so, does not remove the disadvantage.
You can't take a case of 2-3 players who had very long careers such as Pav and Mundy as proof that consistent air travel does not have a negative impact on length of a players career. For all we know, both players, playing in a vic team and travelling only a few times a year could have both of those guys playing over 400 games.

How do you account for the two WA teams having easily the biggest difference in winning when you compare home state to away state. It both looks pretty clear from the data and matches up with the theory and anecdotes that they have a travel disadvantage when playing away which is balanced by a travel advantage when playing at home - we seem to have conveniently forgotten about the advantage they get from teams travelling to them - with both data and player and coach anecdotes suggesting it's really tough to win there. Freo have been as tough to beat in WA as Hawthorn have in Victoria - an incredible stat when you look at those two clubs overall performance and quality of players during Freo's time in the AFL.
You just said Freo has been tough to beat in WA as Hawthorn have in Victoria. That doesn't stack up.

Dockers have won 0 flags.

Hawks have won flags in 1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988-9 , 1991, 2008 , 2013-5.

Next thing you are gonna say is

West coast have been tough to beat in WA as saints are in Victoria by your logic.

Yet all research says that air travel, especially consistent air travel causes issues for athletes.
A 30 sec google brings up this one
Sure it is NBA but if it causes issues in a game with lesser physicality.

Yes there are ways to lessen the impact but the requirement to do so, does not remove the disadvantage.
You can't take a case of 2-3 players who had very long careers such as Pav and Mundy as proof that consistent air travel does not have a negative impact on length of a players career. For all we know, both players, playing in a vic team and travelling only a few times a year could have both of those guys playing over 400 games.
LOL at the google. The article is focussed on in-season impacts of travel in a fixture where teams can play back 2 back games in different cities. With fatigue effects prevalent when less than 72 h of rest is experienced between games.

That doesnt apply to AFL at all, a no teams ever play a game with less than 72 h recovery.

The one interesting point noted in the study was that, the direction of air travel should be considered by NBA teams, as traveling westward exacerbates reductions in performance.

So yes, can now confirm that WA teams have it easier based on that "research".

If only we could run some sort of experiment for a couple of years where the Vic sides have to travel heaps, sleep in hotels all the time and get no finals at the G.
Didn't your side win against the odds in the 1988 VFL grand final vs the demons?

Was it in 1988 that hawks only had one game at the MCG all season before the 1988 grand final?

Demons had at least 10 games at the MCG Prior to the 1988 grand final.

The discussion isn't solely travel.

However, if the discussion was solely about travel, why would you group SA teams with WA teams?

Melbourne, North, Richmond and Geelong all travel further in 2024 than Port.

#portbias
Are you saying that Geelong fans are sub human compared to Collingwood and other Victorian sides? LoL

You just said Freo has been tough to beat in WA as Hawthorn have in Victoria. That doesn't stack up.

Dockers have won 0 flags.

Hawks have won flags in 1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988-9 , 1991, 2008 , 2013-5.

Next thing you are gonna say is

West coast have been tough to beat in WA as saints are in Victoria by your logic.

I'm going on winning percentage. Since 1987 - the start of the AFL - Freo have won a similar percentage of their games in WA as Hawthorn have won in Victioria. Winning 57% compared to 59% of home state games. The big difference is in away state games. Hawks at 51%, Freo at 31%. See stats below. WCE have been significantly harder to beat in WA than Haw have in Vic.

I did understand, you want to swap places with Collingwood, you think you are hard done by.

Well if they moved the GF to Brisbane till 3000 and we were the only team in Vic, I still wouldn't swap, even if we never won another flag.

It's just a sport, i've said this before, believe it or not, but I enjoyed 2022 more than last year.

You don't have to win for it to be fun.
Well I will never know until Fremantle Dockers men's sides win a flag

Yeah I understand, you would rather have Collingwoods draw and home than yours.

If i'm wrong then explain it, it sure sounds like a sook to me.
What they don't get is that it's not our draw that's an advantage - it's our supporter base. Travel evens out - you have the same numbr of games with an advantage as you have with a disadvantage - but Pies draw bigger numbers to our Melbourne away games and thus have a slight advantage in them as well as our Melbourne home games against Vic clubs.

Maybe a supporter cap to level the competition? Or perhaps a decibel cap - Pies supporters could be made to be quieter than their opposition's fans.

I suspect a bit of an exaggeration at play there, similar to the label VicBias itself. The bias is towards the Big Vic clubs like Collingwood. And they and their supporters know it too, hence their determination to dominate the thread to argue there's nothing to see here, move along.

The Big Vic clubs?

Essendon haven't won a final in nearly 17 years - that is coming up on 8000 days. They haven't won a premiership in 24 years. They are a meme club at this point.

Richmond had a nice little 4 year run on the back of a generational player (Martin) and an innovative game plan that they almost lucked into due to injuries tp their key forwards. Prior to that they were a basket case who hadn't won anything in more than 35 years and who had at one point rattled tins to survive. Now the coach is gone, Dusty isn't far behind and they are last on the ladder with little to suggest anything but a long rebuild ahead.

Carlton are the worst performing club this century. No grand finals since 2000. 5 wooden spoons. A host of other miseries including this current decade long rebuild which looks like peaking with a lucky trip to the preliminary final, with two horrible season collapses either side.

Even Collingwood - the biggest and most powerful club in the land, right? The same club that has won 3 premierships in 66 years - and that includes last year. Most recent premeirship.run lasted two.years, now back to being a solid mid table.club. I guess Collingwood have managed to be better than average across the past 15 years, which cancels out being a massive underperformer for the previous half century.

I'm sorry, but as a supporter of a Big Victorian Club, when exactly is the Vicbias going to.kick in? And when it does, how will we know?

LOL at the google. The article is focussed on in-season impacts of travel in a fixture where teams can play back 2 back games in different cities. With fatigue effects prevalent when less than 72 h of rest is experienced between games.

That doesnt apply to AFL at all, a no teams ever play a game with less than 72 h recovery.

The one interesting point noted in the study was that, the direction of air travel should be considered by NBA teams, as traveling westward exacerbates reductions in performance.

So yes, can now confirm that WA teams have it easier based on that "research".
Do you think Pendlebury playing a majority of his games at the MCG i'm assuming quite close to his house has had any bearing on him making it to 400 games?

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread VICBias - Genuine Discussion Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back