Mega Thread VICBias - Genuine Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep. Completely compromises the integrity of the league. Why bother playing 23 games in the minor season? Devalues minor round games completely to the point of being almost meaningless.
See this is what I don't get, just about every non vic fan has this view, certainly the overwhelming majority, yet continue to follow this league.

Why? Why put yourselves through this pain?

It's not hard to imagine if every non vic fan up and left this league and went and supported their own top league then all the revenue generated by non vic fans for their own top league would shift away from the current vafl to their own state leagues, get all the local media, revenue growth etc etc.
  • No more unbalanced comp / flying / hga gf's etc. all the stuff you guys whinge about.
  • No more skewed TV time slots in favour of big drawing teams like bic vic clubs etc

• We get our VFL back
  • The non vic leagues are once again in the glory days
  • No more biased vic media which you all whinge about.
  • We might get back Fitzroy (who still exist) and South Melbourne (which there is obviously still a market for)
Everybody wins.

Just do it all non vic fans, you want it , we want it. Everyone wins!

See this is what I don't get, just about every non vic fan has this view, certainly the overwhelming majority, yet continue to follow this league.

Why? Why put yourselves through this pain?

It's not hard to imagine if every non vic fan up and left this league and went and supported their own top league then all the revenue generated by non vic fans for their own top league would shift away from the current vafl to their own state leagues, get all the local media, revenue growth etc etc.
  • No more unbalanced comp / flying / hga gf's etc. all the stuff you guys whinge about.
  • No more skewed TV time slots in favour of big drawing teams like bic vic clubs etc

• We get our VFL back
  • The non vic leagues are once again in the glory days
  • No more biased vic media which you all whinge about.
  • We might get back Fitzroy (who still exist) and South Melbourne (which there is obviously still a market for)
Everybody wins.

Just do it all non vic fans, you want it , we want it. Everyone wins!
Because that would be worse than a proper national league.

Some of the more enjoyable articles that I’ve read on the topic have been from South Australian whackos.

Remember the time a couple of the great unhinged bleated about the unfairness of it all after the 2017 Grand Final and demanded a best of three series.

It’s strange, haven’t heard boo from them about this since November 2017.

Because that would be worse than a proper national league.
We don't have a proper national league, it's an expanded vfl, it's national in name only.

There is no known universe we can have an equitable national league, mainly because the landscape is skewed towards the market and the bulk of the market (more than half) is in vic. Not to mention more than half the participants are from vic as well.

So I guess you're happy with what have now? You're ok with the GF only being at the G? Even if that is inconsistent with your post that I replied to? :shrug:

Some of the more enjoyable articles that I’ve read on the topic have been from South Australian whackos.

Remember the time a couple of the great unhinged bleated about the unfairness of it all after the 2017 Grand Final and demanded a best of three series.

It’s strange, haven’t heard boo from them about this since November 2017.
It’s pretty whacko to hold the deciding match of an entire season at one specific venue which gives a huge advantage to one specific group of teams. But here we are.

Go explain this concept to the die hard followers of fully professional leagues like the EPL, or NBA and watch how much they laugh.

We don't have a proper national league, it's an expanded vfl, it's national in name only.

There is no known universe we can have an equitable national league, mainly because the landscape is skewed towards the market and the bulk of the market (more than half) is in vic. Not to mention more than half the participants are from vic as well.

So I guess you're happy with what have now? You're ok with the GF only being at the G? Even if that is inconsistent with your post that I replied to? :shrug:
Lol. I’d suggest you go read my post again if that’s what you took from it.

It’s pretty whacko to hold the deciding match of an entire season at one specific venue which gives a huge advantage to one specific group of teams. But here we are.

Go explain this concept to the die hard followers of fully professional leagues like the EPL, or NBA and watch how much they laugh.
The crows didn’t seem to care, until they did.

That seat 1A they had reserved for the premiership cup on the fight home from Melbourne to Adelaide looked pretty empty on 30th Sept 2017. It was around that time the bleating started.

Lol. I’d suggest you go read my post again if that’s what you took from it.
Then what? What do you want? I'll have an answer as to why you've got what you don't want.

I'll start with your first gripe.

The GF at the g and possibly a hga to a competing team.

Well obviously that's driven by

a/ being the largest capacity and therefore more availability to club members compared to smaller capacity stadiums

b/ vic govt did a deal with HQ to keep it there, unethical yep but nothing you or I can do about it

c/ The decider has always been at this venue apart from exceptions like covid and wars etc. So it's keeping with tradition, y'know vic league to keep the market happy and paying.

What else ya got?

Then what? What do you want? I'll have an answer as to why you've got what you don't want.

I'll start with your first gripe.

The GF at the g and possibly a hga to a competing team.

Well obviously that's driven by

a/ being the largest capacity and therefore more availability to club members compared to smaller capacity stadiums

b/ vic govt did a deal with HQ to keep it there, unethical yep but nothing you or I can do about it

c/ The decider has always been at this venue apart from exceptions like covid and wars etc. So it's keeping with tradition, y'know vic league to keep the market happy and paying.

What else ya got?
😂 I’m not saying you’re wrong about any of the above points, but it still means the clubs we support compete in a completely compromised bush league.

Why would you not want to make that better?

The crows didn’t seem to care, until they did.

That seat 1A they had reserved for the premiership cup on the fight home from Melbourne to Adelaide looked pretty empty on 30th Sept 2017. It was around that time the bleating started.
It’s not about the crows mate. Before 2017 we’d already had four years in a row of unearned home advantage slanting the result of the entire season.

Ever notice how it’s only the supporters of clubs who benefit from the this ridiculous set up who push so hard whenever someone raises the fact that it might be a bit of a silly way to run a supposedly professional sporting league? Is that just a coincidence?

Anyway, we’re not going to solve it bickering on the internet. All the best.

😂 I’m not saying you’re wrong about any of the above points, but it still means the clubs we support compete in a completely compromised bush league.

Why would you not want to make that better?
Your club is competing in that as you put 'bush league'.

So IF all Crows fans stopped following the AFL and followed the Crows in the SANFL, and same with every other non vic fan, whaddya think would happen?

All your hard earned $ that you spend on SANFL goes to SANFL and not afl, same as wc if they just watched wc in the WAFL all those $ would go to the WAFL.

Why do want to continue to support a league you have obvious issues with? When there's an alternative that is much more equitable for your club?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Your club is competing in that as you put 'bush league'.

So IF all Crows fans stopped following the AFL and followed the Crows in the SANFL, and same with every other non vic fan, whaddya think would happen?

All your hard earned $ that you spend on SANFL goes to SANFL and not afl, same as wc if they just watched wc in the WAFL all those $ would go to the WAFL.

Why do want to continue to support a league you have obvious issues with? When there's an alternative that is much more equitable for your club?
It’s a good question mate, and one that I know I and many non-Victorian footy fans that I know ask themselves at times. I don’t have an answer to it though.

You are aware of the thread you posted this in, yes?

It’s a good question mate, and one that I know I and many non-Victorian footy fans that I know ask themselves at times. I don’t have an answer to it though.
Which is my original question, IF I were a fan / member of a non vic club I'd certainly be following the state league and encouraging everyone else to snub the afl.

It is not an equitable league, and to support your argument IF my club wins against a non vic club it doesn't feel the as meritorious as it would vs another tenant.

Let's be honest, IF we went back to state leagues and they got the following they deserve as a tier 1 comp = to the vfl then it'd solve a lotta questions and inequity.

Not to mention it is impossible to have an equitable national league because where the bulk of the market is.

100%. They whinge but fail to provide reasonable action to rectify.

Rinse and repeat with these ones.
Reasonable action is literally just let the higher ranked team host the Grand Final, or at least rotate it yearly. That’s it.

Which is my original question, IF I were a fan / member of a non vic club I'd certainly be following the state league and encouraging everyone else to snub the afl.

It is not an equitable league, and to support your argument IF my club wins against a non vic club it doesn't feel the as meritorious as it would vs another tenant.

Let's be honest, IF we went back to state leagues and they got the following they deserve as a tier 1 comp = to the vfl then it'd solve a lotta questions and inequity.

Not to mention it is impossible to have an equitable national league because where the bulk of the market is.
I agree the league will never be completely equitable, I’m just saying the highest ranked team should host the deciding match of the season. Or rotate it state to state. Very simple.

Honestly you seem like a reasonable fella and I appreciate you taking the time to discuss, but I’m gonna leave it here. Cheers.

I agree the league will never be completely equitable, I’m just saying the highest ranked team should host the deciding match of the season. Or rotate it state to state. Very simple.

Honestly you seem like a reasonable fella and I appreciate you taking the time to discuss, but I’m gonna leave it here. Cheers.
post 3772.

There's reasons it won't and has not been rotated or played at the highest ranked team hg.

Take it or leave it.

I've admitted there's vic bias many many times on these boards, this isn't the gotcha you think it is.

I wasn’t aiming at a ‘gotcha’, it just struck me that your point is precisely what this thread is aimed at challenging.

I’m on record many times as being supportive of the GF being played at the MCG, but this needs to be balanced with giving non-tenants, particularly non-Victorian clubs, greater exposure to the venue.

That doesn’t dismiss the manner in which the MCG deal was done though. It’s the biggest indication of a systemic bias towards Victorian based clubs that there is.

It’s literally the entire point of this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back