Mega Thread VICBias - Genuine Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You would take your phenomenal HGA setup with 10 travel games every day of the week over the fixture Carlton & Essendon cop.

Carlton had 4 genuine home games last year (Swans, Lions, Suns & Eagles @ Marvel). You can also argue whether a 5th game against the Crows at the G should be considered a genuine home game. You had 10 genuine home games.

Essendon had 3 genuine home games last year (Freo, Giants & Port @ Marvel). You can also argue whether 3 more games (Hawks @ Marvel, Brisbane @ the G & Swans @ the G) should be considered genuine home games. You had 10 genuine home games.

Does this help explain why both teams have struggled for ~20 years? Probably
Do you hear Carlton & Essendon fans carry on endlessly about this disadvantage? No

Whereas Eagles fans continue to carry on about vicbias like petulant children because they haven't won a flag in 20 months 😏

I actually agree many West Coast fans are carrying on like petulant children.

However anyone who talks about genuine home games without talking about genuine away games isn't exactly engaging in genuine/mature discussion.

I actually agree many West Coast fans are carrying on like petulant children.

However anyone who talks about genuine home games without talking about genuine away games isn't exactly engaging in genuine/mature discussion.
Added to that the effects of cumulative travel.

i see in pre game discussion threads week after week vic fans saying things like “we did the trip to perth last week so expect the guys to be a bit flat this week.”

every year we lose games at home against mediocre team because we played a good team interstate the week before.

so often you lise that game interstate and then come home and lose one at home because the cumulative effect of flying every second week takes it out of you.

Only interstate teams are being disadvantaged
Port playing their home game against West Coast in Brisbane are disadvantaged.
West Coast playing their home game against Richmond in Brisbane are disadvantaged.
Richmond playing "away" games against interstate teams at neutral venues (but retaining their own "home" games) is advantaged.
I'm sure the AFL is all over this and WCE (and Port) will play their last 7 games at Optus/Adelaide
If Port are disadvantaged in a match vs West Coast, then West Coast must be advantaged. It's a two horse race. A zero-sum game. A closed system. Any disadvantage to one team must be an advantage to the other.

You're picking the eyes out of this by ignoring all the inequities except those that aren't good for your team.

Out of all the options this year, we got the fairest one possible for West Coast v Richmond.

Oh my god 4 interstate trips in 10 weeks

the CALUMNY

How do you propose we fix this? Move all teams into one city where everyone has their own home stadium?
FACT is, this is what we've got... a comp that was born out of an expanding VFL.
FFS it'd be quicker and easier to move all of Perth and it's surrounding suburbs to Mt Gambier than to try and fix all the problems the AFL have with fixturing, travel and supposed bias.

Unless we can magically relocate teams so that we end up with 3 teams in WA, 3 teams in SA, 3 teams in QLD, 3 teams in NSW, 3 teams in VIC, and 3 teams in TAS so that EVERY team can then play their allocated number of home games, a set of local derbys, and then all travel "roughly" the same amount of times per season at roughly the same amount of kms then I don't think you'll be satisfied...

Either that or Richmond tumble down the ladder again so that the #Richmondbias, sorry #VICBIAS, can be righted.

Last edited:
Added to that the effects of cumulative travel.

i see in pre game discussion threads week after week vic fans saying things like “we did the trip to perth last week so expect the guys to be a bit flat this week.”

every year we lose games at home against mediocre team because we played a good team interstate the week before.

so often you lise that game interstate and then come home and lose one at home because the cumulative effect of flying every second week takes it out of you.

Also a basic way of telling how much harder it is traveling that distance every second week. Career long West Coast and Fremantle players tend to retire earlier than players from other states. I mean West Coast don't have any players who have reached 300 games and as far as I know Fremantle only have 2.

Also a basic way of telling how much harder it is traveling that distance every second week. Career long West Coast and Fremantle players tend to retire earlier than players from other states. I mean West Coast don't have any players who have reached 300 games and as far as I know Fremantle only have 2.
This one is true! There's a statistically significant difference in the career length of WA players. There's a chapter on it by Matt Cowgill in the book Footballistics.

Don’t Collingwood only have 2? They have been around for over 100 years.
Geelong 4.
There goes that argument.

West Coast fans screeching about inequality/vicbias makes me laugh.

10 games a year with clear home advantage at a stadium all their opponents bar one have to travel 3000km+ to get to - with 99% of the crowd and the umpires (generally influenced by crowd noise/booing) in their corner. There is no bigger advantage in the game than this.

This alone basically delivers a finals appearance on a plate for them every single year. Like how are they whinging honestly? lol
Nothing like playing 16 games where the GF is played though with mostly, if not all, Vic umpires. Hawthorn, Collingwood, Richmond all had this advantage

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app

#VICBIAS ey.
So, from 1997 to 2006, Interstate clubs won 8 out of 10 flags. Another snapshot we can look at is from 2000 to 2019. Vic clubs lead 10 to 9. Participation has seen interstate teams have representation 15 times in the last 19 grand finals. All vic grand finals v all interstate GF's see it Vic 5 and interstate 3.
Victorian clubs also don't have the benefit of extended lists or academies, and until recently COLA. Also compounding Vics issues is there is 10 teams sharing 3 grounds. So, our home ground advantage, particularly for the MCG is very limited simply due to co tenancy.
Now, interstate travel is going to be brought up, but, looking at the above statistics, I wonder if it's being exaggerated given how successful interstate clubs have been. You can't argue the MCG is a factor when if GWS roll Richmond (after beating Collingwood in Melbourne the week before) Interstate clubs would be ahead with GF wins 10 to 9 since 2000.
The only true way you're going to remove any potential bias is a 17 game season and alternate the H & A games year on year. But even then as some clubs drop off and others rise, there will always be the argument on how hard or soft a draw is.
Personally i wouldn't buy into the clickbait BS or touch the cool aid. Facts are, there are benefits interstate teams have had and enjoyed over the years as well and there has been some awesome teams as well. Those Lions/Port,WCE/Swans teams were awesome in the early 2000's. They were the strongest and best clubs. Football is cyclical. And since 2010, Freo, Sydney, Crows, WCE, GWS have all had chances to win. You blew it. Losing sucks, but, someone has to. You want a participation sport? Go play social ping pong or something. #VICBIAS is nothing more than clickbait garbage for salty losers

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Out of all the options this year, we got the fairest one possible for West Coast v Richmond.
Are you actually saying that with the same straight face that Travis Auld of the VFL has? Richmond has an away game against West Coast on the Gold Coast i.e. not in Perth, without their fans (when fans could be back later in the year), much easier flight, West Coast players would've been living in a small hotel room for about 3-4 weeks by then, away from their homes, family's, friends etc. and yet that it is the fairest result.

The most impartial AFL fan knows full well that is not fair. Richmond has again made out like bandits getting West Coast away at a neutral venue without fans whilst still not having to give up a home game, which West Coast does.

You are dead set deluded my friend.

Are you actually saying that with the same straight face that Travis Auld of the VFL has? Richmond has an away game against West Coast on the Gold Coast i.e. not in Perth, without their fans (when fans could be back later in the year), much easier flight, West Coast players would've been living in a small hotel room for about 3-4 weeks by then, away from their homes, family's, friends etc. and yet that it is the fairest result.

The most impartial AFL fan knows full well that is not fair. Richmond has again made out like bandits getting West Coast away at a neutral venue without fans whilst still not having to give up a home game, which West Coast does.

But given teams play each other only once this season aren't there only 3 options?
At MCG
At Optus
At metricon

So unless I'm missing something not sure how Tigers getting an advantage?

#VICBIAS ey.
So, from 1997 to 2006, Interstate clubs won 8 out of 10 flags. Another snapshot we can look at is from 2000 to 2019. Vic clubs lead 10 to 9. Participation has seen interstate teams have representation 15 times in the last 19 grand finals. All vic grand finals v all interstate GF's see it Vic 5 and interstate 3.
Victorian clubs also don't have the benefit of extended lists or academies, and until recently COLA. Also compounding Vics issues is there is 10 teams sharing 3 grounds. So, our home ground advantage, particularly for the MCG is very limited simply due to co tenancy.
Now, interstate travel is going to be brought up, but, looking at the above statistics, I wonder if it's being exaggerated given how successful interstate clubs have been. You can't argue the MCG is a factor when if GWS roll Richmond (after beating Collingwood in Melbourne the week before) Interstate clubs would be ahead with GF wins 10 to 9 since 2000.
The only true way you're going to remove any potential bias is a 17 game season and alternate the H & A games year on year. But even then as some clubs drop off and others rise, there will always be the argument on how hard or soft a draw is.
Personally i wouldn't buy into the clickbait BS or touch the cool aid. Facts are, there are benefits interstate teams have had and enjoyed over the years as well and there has been some awesome teams as well. Those Lions/Port,WCE/Swans teams were awesome in the early 2000's. They were the strongest and best clubs. Football is cyclical. And since 2010, Freo, Sydney, Crows, WCE, GWS have all had chances to win. You blew it. Losing sucks, but, someone has to. You want a participation sport? Go play social ping pong or something. #VICBIAS is nothing more than clickbait garbage for salty losers
The fact that you continuously refer to non-Victorian clubs as "interstate clubs" perfectly illustrates your, the AFL and the AFL media's bias because that is how you all view non-Victorian clubs. And you want us to believe it is a national competition? :rolleyes:

But given teams play each other only once this season aren't there only 3 options?
At MCG
At Optus
At metricon

They are by not having to play West Coast in Perth later in the year when games will be scheduled there and with the possibility of some fans being in attendance. How is that not an advantage to Richmond based on all the facts in my post, which is all to the detriment of West Coast and its players?

The fact that you continuously refer to non-Victorian clubs as "interstate clubs" perfectly illustrates your, the AFL and the AFL media's bias because that is how you all view non-Victorian clubs. And you want us to believe it is a national competition? :rolleyes:

Sorry mate, did i get the pronouns wrong? I would expect Victorian clubs to be considered an interstate clubs when playing “interstate” as well. Seriously mate, the adults are talking, go back and do your homework.

At MCG
At Optus
At metricon

We could play them on the moon and it would be #VICBIAS. Apparently “anywhere, anytime” isn’t the mindset for all.

They are by not having to play West Coast in Perth later in the year when games will be scheduled there and with the possibility of some fans being in attendance. How is that not an advantage to Richmond based on all the facts in my post, which is all to the detriment of West Coast and its players?
But this assumes west coast had a guaranteed right that its one game v Richmond this year had to be their home game.

It could just as easily been scheduled in Melbourne
Struggling to understand the anger here

But this assumes west coast had a guaranteed right that its one game v Richmond this year had to be their home game.

What seems to be lost in all this Gav is the WA premier has closed the border for an undertermined time. The AFL has just taken out a $650 million loan to keep the comp afloat. We can’t play games there and the comp can’t get held up any longer. What else was Gil to do? Relocate 10 teams or 6 when trying to save coin and not get in a shitfight with the WA premier? Don’t blame Victori, blame your draconian premier.

Bandits? The game could have been at the G.

The fact that the season is going ahead is emblematic of vicbias.

The season goes ahead, despite the heavy inequities to ensure the financial viability of small victorian clubs, and this includes geelong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back