Play Nice WADA v Essendon 34: Guilty, 2 Yr Susp. (backdated to Mar 2015). Affects 17 current AFL plyrs.

Remove this Banner Ad

I was just reading through the last few pages of the CAS thread on the Bombers board. What a bunch of deluded individuals.
I must give credit to ManWithNoName. I don't know if he posts in HTB but he seems to be the only voice of reason or a grip on reality over there
Funniest Board on Big Footy, I go there for a daily belly laugh

So what was Gil banging on about? Trying to bluff and influence ASADA, WADA & CAS through the media?

Trying to question if in the big scheme of things the rules that were broken were that serious. Talking down the whole situation by acting like they were caught for driving their car without a bicycle helmet on.

I don't get this whole "team" sport argument. It may be a team effort to play, but its the individual that dopes?
Apparently in team sport it is a situation akin to the Borg Collective, where the players become mindless drones, unable to think and make decisions for themselves.

Or so the media and AFL would have us believe.

And, as with the Borg, they had their own queen - in this case James Hird. :p

Dave Colbert (SEN) saying games should be stripped from players including Fletcher who would not have reached 400 games

He's right.

Did anyone catch that arse clown Stephen Peak on SEN last night.
Someone told me this idiot is a Barrister, FMD!!

He is. I presume he was having his usual circle-jerk with Finey?

"wholly unconvincing" does not mean the same thing as "not wholly convincing".

OTOH, "not wholly convincing" is written lawyer-speak for "a complete liar."

How come Hird was convinced that all the other clubs were doing it and were ahead of Essendon? Delusional paranoia?

Narcissism - "I am James Hird, I should win a flag in my first year because I am me."

oh **** off Watson

Tim Watson: CAS hearing gave players bad vibes

[/QUOTE]

Some people aren't smart enough to shut up. Been a lot of them in this sage, Tim is just one more.

I've given up on SEN.

I did this several years ago, leading to a significant net increase in quality of life.

Yeah, the Marsh interview was an eye opener. No idea whatsoever that guy. Terrible CEO.

I think I heard the dumbest response ever from a CEO in that interview

Australian sport currently has a significant problem (three individuals) with the offspring of famous cricketers with the surname Marsh.

No, there is recent interviews with her, where she is defending Hird.

All she ever does. What did I say that could possible construed in any other way?

Oh, don't write us off just yet. :D

You'd make a good Richmond fan :)

Watson says the lawyers gave an indication following the hearing there may have been some sort of agenda at play.

“They found themselves I think quickly on the back foot in terms of the hearing itself, I think it didn’t necessarily play out the way they thought it would,” he said.

They thought that they would have a fairer hearing than that, but I think there’s now an understanding that if you go before CAS then probably the job has already been done.

I'm sure they did have an agenda - to find out what really happened and punish accordingly if required. Unlike the previous, where the agenda was quite different.

Trying to question if in the big scheme of things the rules that were broken were that serious. Talking down the whole situation by acting like they were caught for driving their car without a bicycle helmet on.

Could you imagine if the AFL self-reported to a higher body as Essendon had? How many (lack of) governance issues would be found?

Could you imagine if the AFL self-reported to a higher body as Essendon had? How many (lack of) governance issues would be found?

The irony is the MLB and NFL that have been bandied about in the media (particularly the head of the AFLPA) as some higher standard despite having had steroid and HGH dramas that have engulfed the sport. MLB had the steroid era and the NFL has been rampant with HGH and only recently began testing for it.

These league are not the gold standard to aspire too. Everyone in the states (including fans) knows what goes on but a blind eye is turned. Do we want that?

I don't mind him or his son tbh.

Yeah, his son shouldn't have taken the drugs and he will serve his ban, but as people they seem to be genuinely nice.
Are you serious?

They are dirty campaigners that think everybody is against them.

I say just gtfo *Watson*.

When you think about it, name any Watson that is any good?
  • Shane Watson - Fail
  • Tim Watson - Fail/Campaigner
  • Jobe Watson - Drug Cheat/Fail/Campaigner

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are you serious?

• Shane Watson - Fail

I fear you may have a Watson complex, I presume

Are you serious?

• Shane Watson - Fail
Emma Watson

As fans of the game I think the sooner Essendon can get back on track the better. Keep in mind that the administrators of this act are long gone and half of the players too.

If I can just point out that Richmond were shit for more than 30 years and didn't fold. Came close though, and were graciously helped by some arch enemies too. Still kept turning up in droves for what it's worth.

Everyone keeps banging on about how hard Carlton copped it. Well they are only half way through the shitness a Richmond fan had to contend with (and imagine being a Melbourne supporter!)

Good clubs come and go. That's a long term trend over decades. If Essendon go as shit as Richmond the game will still go on. People will remember when essendon were good just like they remember (or read about) when Richmond and Melbourne were good.

As a fan of the game I'm more concerned about the shit big m little League style of play that we are subjected to than how many of the big 4 clubs make the finals.

Actually going shit for a decade or so might bring a bit of humility to the supporter base.

Apparently in team sport it is a situation akin to the Borg Collective, where the players become mindless drones, unable to think and make decisions for themselves.

Or so the media and AFL would have us believe.

And, as with the Borg, they had their own queen - in this case James Hird. :p

I keep hearing the "it's a team game" excuse. Now, I can understand this in terms of the East Germans, etc - if you didn't comply, well, you'd disappear. And your family might too. Same with some other regimes. If these blokes think they have those same pressures to comply, they are delusional. They're just cheats who thought noone would find out, pure and simple.

Are you serious?

• Shane Watson - Fail

I am serious. Did you read what I wrote? Tim and Jobe seem like decent blokes. Of course Tim will try to protect his son even though it was clearly wrong. Don't read too much into that.

What Jobe (and the other 33 players did) was act in negligence. That is no defence; they are guilty and they have been punished accordingly.

A campaigner is someone who intentionally takes illegal PEDs knowing that they are illegal PEDs. I doubt one Essendon player would have taken the drugs if they had known that they were illegal.

A campaigner is someone who intentionally takes illegal PEDs knowing that they are illegal PEDs. I doubt one Essendon player would have taken the drugs if they had known that they were illegal.

One would expect if they knew they were legal, they would have filled in the forms correctly when they were drug tested, instead of omitting them completely. They didn't. Any of them. I wonder why...

I am serious. Did you read what I wrote? Tim and Jobe seem like decent blokes. Of course Tim will try to protect his son even though it was clearly wrong. Don't read too much into that.

What Jobe (and the other 33 players did) was act in negligence. That is no defence; they are guilty and they have been punished accordingly.

Tim should just stay out of it because its a clear conflict of interest

Do you remember the players getting busted for lying?

Remove this Banner Ad

Play Nice WADA v Essendon 34: Guilty, 2 Yr Susp. (backdated to Mar 2015). Affects 17 current AFL plyrs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back