WAFL 2010 Dockers Player Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Is Crichton down at Peel by himself? If so, not a good outcome. As a youngster from Tassie would prefer he was paired with another recruit or fringe player.
8Edit - just had a look at p1 and likely Mora, Balla and Barlow will be AFL most of the year so only BOB to help him out at Peel. BOB will likely be on the physio bench than on the track though.

Is Crichton down at Peel by himself? If so, not a good outcome. As a youngster from Tassie would prefer he was paired with another recruit or fringe player.
8Edit - just had a look at p1 and likely Mora, Balla and Barlow will be AFL most of the year so only BOB to help him out at Peel. BOB will likely be on the physio bench than on the track though.

Wouldn't he be training mainly with Freo anyway? I have no idea who the fringe players train with, but I would have thought they'd be training with everyone else at Freo (especially the young players). The only problem I see is the location of his WAFL club.

I don't see Crichton playing too many games down at Peel to worry about it too much. I doubt we'll see him playing more than half a season in the WAFL. He'll be joined before too long by Brock O'brien and he'll have a good mentor in Daniel Haines.

The AFL players who will be playing WAFL usually go to the team meeting at the end of the week with their respective WAFL club but apart from that they'd have little contact with their WAFL coaches and team mates outside of match day.

Awesome, thanks Latro!

I wonder if the WAFL and ABC TV have looked into broadcasting the Friday night game of round one? With everyone getting a taste of footy on tv over the last month but no AFL games this weekend I think a WAFL match live would rate really well tonight.

Clarke was pretty good in the ruck and didnt look out of place running with the footy.

Was beaten in the centre square hitouts by Mugumbwa but handled himself well at throw ins and ball ups. Didnt have too much competition after Graham went off.

The standout tonight for me was Murphy.

Lead up well, CONTESTED WELL AT GROUND LEVEL and was took some really strong contested marks in the forward line.

One in the last quarter which was particularly impressive. Enough for a call up IMO.

the teams listed at Footygoss http://www.footygoss.com/index.php/...neral/view/selected_wafl_sides_for_round_one/ don't match so they are either wrong or maybe a bunch of the lads will be in the seconds

This is your best link for the teams:
http://www.wafootball.com.au/wafl/teams

Seems from the listed teams that none of the following wont play bar a late change: JVB, Clinkers, Bouca:thumbsdown:

Those who are listed:
South (Murphy) vs East Perth (Shepheard, Roberton, Clarke)
West Perth vs Swan Districts (Walters)
Perth (Bollenhagen, Houghton-Res) vs East Fremantle (Dodd, Hall-Res, Palmer-Res) - THE RESERVES MIGHT BE WORTH A WATCH;)
Peel (O'Brien-Res, Chrichton-Res vs Claremont (Schammer, Sibosado-Res)

So I got a couple right (Schammer, Dodd) but was wrong on Dessie.

Had a listen to most of tonights Sth Freo v East Perth game (won by Sths by 4pts) on 91.3 Sport Fm:
Murphy 11disposals, 8marks, 3tackles, 5goals:thumbsu: 1behind - some speccies close to goal.
Roberton 14disposals, 4marks, 2tackles - very busy in the last quarter.
Clarke 14disposals, 4marks, 6tackles:thumbsu:, 27HO:thumbsu:, 1goal 1 behind - very good early and dominated the ruck from the 3rd quarter when Graham was injured.
Shepheard 5disposals, 1 mark:thumbsdown:, 4tackles, 1HO, 2goals 1behind - described as lively without holding his marks; went for a few big grabs and dropped a couple on the lead.

Just looking at stats, but not a bad night from our blokes. Even Shep managed a couple of goals, Big Z had a nice night too. If Murphy played as well as MM seems to think (would like to see some corroboration) the 5 goals is a nice return.

Ashton Hams ripped it up for the Eagles. JON probably had his best game ever with 15 touches.
This is your best link for the teams:
http://www.wafootball.com.au/wafl/teams

Seems from the listed teams that none of the following wont play bar a late change: JVB, Clinkers, Bouca:thumbsdown:

Those who are listed:
South (Murphy) vs East Perth (Shepheard, Roberton, Clarke)
West Perth vs Swan Districts (Walters)
Perth (Bollenhagen, Houghton-Res) vs East Fremantle (Dodd, Hall-Res, Palmer-Res) - THE RESERVES MIGHT BE WORTH A WATCH;)
Peel (O'Brien-Res, Chrichton-Res vs Claremont (Schammer, Sibosado-Res)

I wonder why Houghton, Hall, O'Brien and Crichton are playing ressies? Would that be instructions from Freo to ease them into it? Or just not picked by their WAFL clubs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder why Houghton, Hall, O'Brien and Crichton are playing ressies? Would that be instructions from Freo to ease them into it? Or just not picked by their WAFL clubs.[/quote]

I would suggest they will be made to earn their spots in the WAFL which is fair enough. Houghton and Crichton in particular are just boys who are at least 2 years maybe more from playing AFL. I think it is good for their development to make them earn there spots in WAFL league teams and not just get a free ride. I am sure the club would want them to earn there spots and would have been asked by the WAFL clubs who is ready and who is not. O'Brien not sure where he is at but must still be coming off injury so may need match practice. Hall I havent seen all pre season so again must need match practice which is fair enough
On another note great to see Spud in good form after a solid pre season. Doubt he is in our best 22 but if he keeps kicking goals will put pressure on others. Roberton on stats alone looks like he has had a good night, I really liked his composure in NAB cup and he certainly looks a player. Reminds me of a slightly rangier/more athletic type than Mundy. Some may recall Mundy played 22 games at Subiaco in his first year here in the back pocket and just had a solid year which I am sure has helped his development. I think Roberton will be used similarly in the WAFL and hopefully has a good future

I went to the game last night and I was pretty disappointed by Clarke. Pretty much cost East Perth the game. He had a shot 10 metres out directly in front came off 2 steps dropped it like a basketball and kicked a behind.

He dropped some crucial marks and still couldn't beat Mugumbai in the ruck. On the up side I realised how big he is and athletic and will fill out more and become good.

Murphy was very good. Disappointing he can't take that form and attitude into freo games. Took a great mark 4 deep and ended up kicking the winning goal.

The surprise packet for me was Shepherd. He's a really good size, athletic and I thought really offered something for East Perth in attack. He'll play the full season in the WAFL but I can see him getting onto the senior list and once he puts on some more muscle start making waves.

I went to the game last night and I was pretty disappointed by Clarke. Pretty much cost East Perth the game. He had a shot 10 metres out directly in front came off 2 steps dropped it like a basketball and kicked a behind.

He dropped some crucial marks and still couldn't beat Mugumbai in the ruck. On the up side I realised how big he is and athletic and will fill out more and become good.

Murphy was very good. Disappointing he can't take that form and attitude into freo games. Took a great mark 4 deep and ended up kicking the winning goal.

The surprise packet for me was Shepherd. He's a really good size, athletic and I thought really offered something for East Perth in attack. He'll play the full season in the WAFL but I can see him getting onto the senior list and once he puts on some more muscle start making waves.

Clarke 14disposals, 4marks, 6tackles, 27HO, 1goal 1 behind - very good early and dominated the ruck from the 3rd quarter when Graham was injured.
Shepheard 5disposals, 1 mark, 4tackles, 1HO, 2goals 1behind - described as lively without holding his marks; went for a few big grabs and dropped a couple on the lead.

Must've been a good 5 possessions

Ditto on Clarke ,only saw the first half and he was carved up by Graham and only had a few touches.:thumbsdown:
Murphy did put in and kicked a gem goal from 45 out on a tight angle in front of the Freo clubrooms,also had a cross breeze to contend with so it was a real beauty.Didnt see Roberton get a hold of it in the first half so must have had a good second half.
On a side note could not believe how puny Josh Head is,legs like tooth picks,no wonder he struggled in the big stuff.:rolleyes:

The difference was I was expecting Clarke to play well and I had no expectations of Shepherd. But when East Perth was coming back in that last he seemed to be one of the few options East Perth had up until Merrington kicked a couple.

South fremantle was down to one on the bench and players going down with cramp. South Freo was out on there feet and were saved by the final siren. But EP have only themselves to blame for countless missed opportinities.

Roberton was good in the second half and he's a good size for a first year player. He'll fill out nicely.

For the Eagles JON did pretty well you can see why Richmond took him he's alot taller & bigger than I thought. He could still come good (and I was a big critic of his).

As I mentioned I didn't actually see the game but on the radio is was a case on what could have been with Shepheard, he presented quite well and almost taking some big marks. Heard his name a bit without actually getting possession.

Clarke was pretty good in the ruck and didnt look out of place running with the footy.

Was beaten in the centre square hitouts by Mugumbwa but handled himself well at throw ins and ball ups. Didnt have too much competition after Graham went off.

The standout tonight for me was Murphy.

Lead up well, CONTESTED WELL AT GROUND LEVEL and was took some really strong contested marks in the forward line.

One in the last quarter which was particularly impressive. Enough for a call up IMO.

Clarke was very average. Only had Mugumbwa to take on in the second half and failed. The stats may say 27 hit outs, but not many to advantage. His skills were not great either.

Murphy was terrific. great marks and his kicking was beautiful. Fremantle should wear the Heritage jumper every week.

Shepheard's stats were not great but he looks like a footballer. It was a very physical game and he was balanced and skillful. Looked very good and a good size. Roberton took an absolute screamer and showed a lot of promise as well.

It was a very high standard game. Hats off to South for winning with only one fit player on the bench in the second half.

Remove this Banner Ad

WAFL 2010 Dockers Player Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Back