WAFL 2010 Dockers Player Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you guys think Krakouer (sp?) Will be drafted again or atleast rookie listed? He's playing some good footy from reports and is still only 25?

I think he's 27 silverscope and having served a jail sentence can't see anyone giving him a chance (crosses fingers and hopes :D). I think teams would rather give a Clint Garlett or Jordan Eades a chance, tbh.

E-Shed, I'd reckon Sibo has to be given another year, because he's only started cracking WAFL league games since moving to Perth, so that's what, 5 games? He's got to be given a chance to settle at WAFL level for a period of time and then see what he can do.

At Basso Walters was pretty good. Contested hard, chased down hard but looked spent in the third, as did a good number of Swans players, but in the last came out with Garlett, Davis, Roach and Krakouer with all guns blazing. Think he was trying to kick the ball too low and hard today, as many passes landed at the feet or 5m in front of the leading forwards and he wasn't alone in doing that for Swans. Good game.

Hinkley, is a funny one. Does some good things, does some horrible things. Today was one of those days where he eliminated the bad, I can only recall 1 bad decision in the last quarter. I think his job was to watch Salecic most of the day, so he would've learnt a fair bit from that and then started to get more attacking in the last half. Pretty good game, I thought.

Thanks E Shed I missed that, great to see him out and running again. Hopefully we wont have enough injuries to need him as a regular but if he can get another game or two later in the year and be fighting for a spot in 2011 :). I know a lot of these guys aren't ready for AFL yet but it's still great to see so much potential considering how many of our young players are already in the main team.

Impressive from Dodd, if McPhee doesn't improve (I'll give him another chance or 2) Dodd seems like an adequate replacement. This will most likely be a stupid question but which WAFL club does Dodd play for? I think it's East Freo but for some reason Claremont also seems familiar.

I can just see Dodd coming in and giving away about 3 -5 goals amongst a host of turnovers and clangers and McPhee having a blinder in the WAFL.

I really wish people would get off the McPhee sucks bandwagon. His form is no where near as bad as people are make out. He is contributing a lot to the team.

Does anyone know why Zac didn't play with the Royals this week? I couldn't find anything on their website, but I'd guess it must be an injury as his form hasn't been too bad.

Another non AFL player to impress thus far, and I have repeatedly made mention of him on the WAFL board is Nathan Phillips.

Had another BOG today, 26 possessions and 5 goals.

Just a really good ball user, formerly a forward pocket/hbf, Dimmer has pushed him into the middle and he has really flourished.

He should be a chance for a rookie spot this year, having a good season after a shocker last year. Attitude is the main draw back with him I'm lead to believe.

He also missed a huge opportunity to impress at a higher level in the state game. That'll count against him IMO.

Thanks E Shed I missed that, great to see him out and running again. Hopefully we wont have enough injuries to need him as a regular but if he can get another game or two later in the year and be fighting for a spot in 2011 :). I know a lot of these guys aren't ready for AFL yet but it's still great to see so much potential considering how many of our young players are already in the main team.

I actually class Ruffles as AFL ready when he's fully fit. He's just such a competitor, beautiful kick of either foot, well balanced, quick & smart.
The question becomes who does he replace in the 22. He's the high half forward / winger type but has enough defensive side to perhaps play the defensive forward role of Ibbo or DeBoer. Certainly his skills are up there with Ibbos and better than MDB so it depends if the coaches see him as having the attributes needed for that role.
For some reason I just have this feeling he might be part of finals action this year.

I can just see Dodd coming in and giving away about 3 -5 goals amongst a host of turnovers and clangers and McPhee having a blinder in the WAFL.

I really wish people would get off the McPhee sucks bandwagon. His form is no where near as bad as people are make out. He is contributing a lot to the team.
Dodd = McPhee

In regards to Sibo his pre season was horrible.Struggled with fitness,his stamina was well below par,skills second rate,confidence nil.At that stage a non keeper.
Watching most of this seasons training his improvement has been remarkable,stamina and general fitness now acceptable,no longer distanced in the long runs,skills good with his foot skills getting to what is needed to play AFL
Confidence much better and now looking like he believes he belongs in an AFL club
Still a work in progress but big lads like Sibo with his potential dont grow on trees and with the improvement hes made this season its a no brainer to keep him and see how much more hes got 011

Dodd = McPhee

Dodd = McPhee's unco brother

McPhee has better skills and more versatility. He can play back and forward, he can go in the middle (actually he is very good in tight), he can kick goals, he can play both out of the square and as a lead up forward, his disposal is reasonable and the bullshit on this board about his turnovers is just that, complete and utter bullshit. Get over yourselves people. Dodd can play a lock down role. That's it. And he turns the ball over a lot more than McPhee.

He should be a chance for a rookie spot this year, having a good season after a shocker last year. Attitude is the main draw back with him I'm lead to believe.

Similar to Kayler Thompson in so many ways, so if he can go...

He also missed a huge opportunity to impress at a higher level in the state game. That'll count against him IMO.

Through no fault of his own it has to be said, responded well from getting the chop though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think both Hall and Sibo have excellent upside and have shown good progression. If they continue to develop at their current rate (you could also throw Buco in here) next year, look out in 2012

This weeks WAFL wrap from Lloydy.

CHRIS Hall has been steadily improving in the WAFL this season after a hip injury cut short his first year at the club, and the young South Australian enjoyed a breakout game at the weekend.

Hall has added plenty of size since arriving at the club at the end of 2008, and he finished with 24 possessions, six marks and three goals against Perth in his best WAFL showing yet.

Hall’s East Fremantle teammate Steven Dodd received this week’s WAFL player of the week award, while defender Scott Thornton continued his return from a groin injury.

Hamish Shepheard, Jesse Crichton and Zac Clarke were all out of action.

Ahead of this week’s fixtures, senior development coach Simon Lloyd shared his WAFL notes with fremantlefc.com.au.

Claremont 38.12 (240) d Peel Thunder 7.4 (46)
Byron Schammer

Byron played onball and across half-forward and was tagged by Rory O’Brien. He had a high work-rate in the first half and was clever around stoppages, pushing his opponent under the footy. He also showed some real leadership at stoppages and worked hard into defence. It was such a one-sided game, but Peel had the choice to tag someone and they chose Byron.

Swan Districts 20.14 (134) d West Perth 13.7 (85)
Michael Walters

Michael played half-forward and occasionally came into the centre bounces, as he has done the past few weeks. He had some key involvements in the third quarter as Swan Districts mounted a comeback and worked hard to find space. His ball use was terrific as always, and some of his 16 disposals were kicks that only he can execute.

Clayton Hinkley
Clayton started in the middle on Jason Salecic and was probably beaten in the second quarter. He was moved to half-forward to finish off the game where he had a strong last quarter. He provided a link out of half-back in the first half and had a high amount of handball receives. Clayton hasn’t been beaten very often this season, and he wanted to have another go at Salecic, but it was positive that he finished the game well.

South Fremantle 24.11 (155) d East Perth 13.7 (85)
Scott Thornton

Scott did a solid job down back and got better with his run as the game went on. He was very good in the one-on-one contests and didn’t get beaten, and he spoilt the ball very well. We’re looking for run from the backline with Scott and that improved as the game went on.

Ryan Murphy
Ryan played full forward most of the day and kicked 4.1. While he only had it eight times he used it well and his kicking for goal was first class. He timed his leads really well and was really dangerous around goal, but we’d like to see him playing a bit higher up the ground now.

East Fremantle 17.11 (113) d Perth 9.2 (56)
Ben Bucovaz

Ben showed some real periods of class in the forward line, finishing with two goals, five tackles and five inside 50s. At one stage he stepped two or three players and kicked a special goal from the forward pocket. While he only had 11 possessions he still had a fair impact on the game.

Steven Dodd
Steven played at half-back and was often the plus-one. He read the play really well, laying off at the right times, and he ran and carried out of defence. He had 35 possessions and there were only a couple that were ineffective. He backed back with the flight probably four or five times and continually filled the space in Perth’s forward line. Almost a complete game from Steven.

Chris Hall
Chris probably played his best game yet for East Freo. He played wing, onball and half-forward and had a really strong second half. He burst from a number of stoppages and broke the lines and was smart when in attack, kicking three goals. He put a lot of pressure on the opposition and you could see him grow in confidence as the game went on.

Casey Sibosado
Casey played deep in defence on Robert Young and beat his opponent on the day. At different times he went onto Bucovaz, who beat him with a couple of tricks, but he’s definitely improved his positioning. Because he was so deep in defence he didn’t generate much run from the backline until late in the game, but apart from that he had a solid game. He took a great specky in the last quarter.

Tim Ruffles
Tim played wing and half-forward and was moving really well, which is something you look for coming back from a knee injury. He had plenty of involvements in the second quarter but turned the ball over a couple of times. Tim plays his best football when he goes in and hunts the ball, and there was one passage where he took a direct line at the contest, hit it at full speed and gathered the ball cleanly, which was really impressive.

Justin Bollenhagen
Justin played on the wing and across half-forward. His first quarter he had two set shots on goal and kicked 1.1. Those two shots came from him spreading really well and finding space. He was alert defensively and looked good early. Following that he drifted in and out of the game, so we’ve spoken to him about ways to keep yourself involved in a game of footy for four quarters.

Joel Houghton (reserves)
We’re working on Joel’s defensive pressure and there was one period where he had three separate efforts and finished off with a tackle. He showed in the second half some real hard pieces of running where he travelled up to 150m to a couple of contests, which was a positive for us. He missed a few chances and could have ended up with three more shots on goal than he eventually did.

Half time Perth vs Peel.

A few dockers playing:

• Crichton - 14 poss to half time, best game to date.
  • Bollenhagen - first goal for Perth, unsighted since.
  • Houghton - league debut, 11 poss, 2 goals, 4 marks
  • Ruffles - 4 poss
  • Sibosado - 10 possessions

There's another bloke out there not on an AFL list who is simply too good for WAFL footy.

Myzunghu - Elite kicking on either size, he would come in and have an immediate impact.

22 years old. Will be drafted, just a matter of who takes him.

Critchon has been very good in a poor side.

There's another bloke out there not on an AFL list who is simply too good for WAFL footy.

Myzunghu - Elite kicking on either size, he would come in and have an immediate impact.

22 years old. Will be drafted, just a matter of who takes him.

Critchon has been very good in a poor side.

Only 22? Yes please. He's been outstanding last few weeks. Has very very good skills. Reminds me a bit of Duff the way he racks up ball and uses it.

Remove this Banner Ad

WAFL 2010 Dockers Player Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Back