WAFL 2010 Dockers Player Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep, five full games and three part games where I had to leave part way through.

What?
Less than a 15 paragraph response!
The enchantment is upon us.
Five games and you still couldn't recognise natural ability?

I didn't say draft camp itself did assess those things - the stats prepared for recruiters for draft camp and state screenings do, though - drawing on stats from (in recent years) nearly 3 full seasons of play in most cases. And, so you know, the actual tests are also designed to allow an objective assessment of a player's willingness to consistently push the limits under extreme pressure - which is just what I define as the extra efforts required for 1%.

You don't agree with this, fine, that's your opinion. There is no reason to call my opinion (or Chris' or any of the other posters) w*nk.

Every man, his dog and my crippled aunty know what the stats you refer to are for.

funnilly enough, which is what you conveniently ignore, they make no judgement on natural footballing ability.
They cant.

Which was, after all, my initial point.

What?
Less than a 15 paragraph response!
The enchantment is upon us.
Five games and you still couldn't recognise natural ability?

Every man, his dog and my crippled aunty know what the stats you refer to are for.

funnilly enough, which is what you conveniently ignore, they make no judgement on natural footballing ability.
They cant.

Which was, after all, my initial point.

I guess those recruiters sitting around at under 18's games are doing..........

George we drafted Sibasodo on the premise that he could play the game and ignored his lack of fitness ,stamina and pace . Lets see how he works out (at the moment its going pretty much down the same track as Mourish)before taking the same gamble.

George we drafted Sibasodo on the premise that he could play the game and ignored his lack of fitness ,stamina and pace . Lets see how he works out (at the moment its going pretty much down the same track as Mourish)before taking the same gamble.

The difference with Casey (from the reports that I am getting) is that he is committed to his training and becoming an AFL footballer. Working on his skills and fitness.

Previous occasions (Drafts) we have recruited players with high draft picks with freakish ability and totally wavering commitment,average speed and/or fitness.

Casey was brought in as a Rookie

Fingers crossed Casey can take that big step up and become the forward that we need him to be.

Ugly but effective.

I like the other description: An old woman holding 2 bags of shopping on each arm

Hugely effective.
Especially in traffic and under pressure.
You can't measure that with a beep test.

And Salim. I take your point mate.
But I am happy for us to take a gamble on one kid with potential every year or two.
You roll the dice and sometimes you end up with a freak.
Look at Sandilands for example.

His times in the draft camp were outstanding though, which destroys your withered argument.

The times you mentioned show that he has a tank and is quick over 20 metres..balah, blah.

They give no measure of his ability to be a footballer.
They measure athletic ability, not footballing prowess.

Don't get me wrong, these trials have their place in the overall scheme of selecting a player.

But if you re-read my posts here, with an open mind, (which may be difficult for you), you will see that my point is that posters hang their hats on these stats alone. Which is patently absurd.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Michael Barlow runs like a crab with ricketts. Athlete my arse.

He is a natural footballer however.

Sorry George. WAY off the mark there. try again!

Height: 189cm
Weight: 92kg
DOB: 18/12/87
Recruited from: Werribee (VIC)
Bio: Tall midfielder/forward whose ball-winning ability and clean hands in traffic are features of his game. Won the 2009 Fothergill-Round Medal for most promising young talent (U23) player in the VFL. VFL team of the year 2009. Had outstanding test results at Victorian screening session with a 2.89sec for 20m and level 14.12 beep test (top 5 per cent).

They also show that Naitanui can jump higher than Michael Jordan and outrun a speeding bullet.

The slime now have the job of showing him how to play the game.

The times you mentioned show that he has a tank and is quick over 20 metres..balah, blah.

They give no measure of his ability to be a footballer.
They measure athletic ability, not footballing prowess.

Don't get me wrong, these trials have their place in the overall scheme of selecting a player.

But if you re-read my posts here, with an open mind, (which may be difficult for you), you will see that my point is that posters hang their hats on these stats alone. Which is patently absurd.

Happy with his history in the VFL giving the club a measure of his ability to play the game and the draft camp is capacity as a 'footballer' athelete?

Happy with his history in the VFL giving the club a measure of his ability to play the game and the draft camp is capacity as a 'footballer' athelete?

Absolutely.
He was dominant in the VFL. And it was there where we measure his footballing capabilities.

But the player in question here is Cam Kickett.

And the argument that was given was that because he didn't meet a certain set of draft camp parameters, then he was unworthy of selection or even consideration.

I call that as bullshit.

Sandilands had no idea when we got him, and now he's the best.

Naitanui gives a team a lot of ability to work with.

Are you rebutting me simply because it is me?
I have already mentioned Sandilands and his "potential" in this thread, and said that I was more than comfortable to roll the dice on players like this.

My whole point is that it is ridiculous to overlook a player because he doesn't measure up to the required stats at draft camp.

And the stupidity of posters hanging their judgement on a player because of these stats in isolation.

Now you seem relatively intelligent. Have you got it yet?

I reckon the skinfolds measure is a reasonable enough one to reject a player, if it is especially bad. Reports of having a bad attitude just compound that. Still want him?

It all comes down to the coaching staffs, (psyches), assessment of his ability to turn that attitude around.
If they believe he has the necessary tools to do that then the skinfolds will look after themselves.
A lot of these aboriginal kids have never had a decent work ethic or role model and these concepts are foreign to them.
But plenty have turned a bad start in life into a cracking football career.

It all comes down to the coaching staffs, (psyches), assessment of his ability to turn that attitude around.
If they believe he has the necessary tools to do that then the skinfolds will look after themselves.
A lot of these aboriginal kids have never had a decent work ethic or role model and these concepts are foreign to them.
But plenty have turned a bad start in life into a cracking football career.
Probably doesn't have the necessary tools. That's why 17 clubs passed.

Probably doesn't have the necessary tools. That's why 17 clubs passed.

Under Harvey I have noticed that the young players that are coming to the team all have excellent attitudes that are accelerating their development. I firmly believe that if we recruit the players with the right mindset that are willing to make football their Number 1 priority then we can make the most of their talent.

Players like Hill, Suban,DeBoer, Balla, Mayne and Broughton all show excellent work ethics and attitude.

To recruit a player that is relying on his talent alone will not excite our Recruitment team one bit.

Fremantle have turned the corner and we are getting future leaders in a strong team instead of a bunch of individuals playing to improve their pay packets and to get on TV.

Remove this Banner Ad

WAFL 2010 Dockers Player Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Back