2nds WAFL/WAFL Reserves Thread 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

Dont know if I said it earlier but Bennell has been penciled in as our small backman next year pending good form and no injuries.
Was part of the reason we rookied him, his kicking in drills at training has been very good for the last month or so.
Looks a better choice than Carter who is the other small backman we have on list.

Dont know if I said it earlier but Bennell has been penciled in as our small backman next year pending good form and no injuries.
Was part of the reason we rookied him, his kicking in drills at training has been very good for the last month or so.
Looks a better choice than Carter who is the other small backman we have on list.
sounds good,and plenty on here have been bagging the bennell pick recently.If he stays healthy will be a great pick up.Hopefully Dick can crack a game at some stage too

That's good. Carter's wasted down back; he just isn't quite quick enough for small forwards at AFL level IMO. His ball use and decision making are excellent though, and his defensive nous may mean he is a good choice as tagger.

That's good. Carter's wasted down back; he just isn't quite quick enough for small forwards at AFL level IMO. His ball use and decision making are excellent though, and his defensive nous may mean he is a good choice as tagger.

Not sure. If, as you claim, he isn't quick enough to take the small forwards then he won't be quick enough to tag the quick outside mids/wingers. And he won't be big enough to tag the bigger inside types.

Not sure. If, as you claim, he isn't quick enough to take the small forwards then he won't be quick enough to tag the quick outside mids/wingers. And he won't be big enough to tag the bigger inside types.

Man, I had that nagging thought at the back of my head as well. He just doesn't have enough natural ball winning ability to compensate for his lack of pace, so I couldn't place him in the guts or on a wing.

FWIW, I base that claim re: Carter's pace on watching Dick get goalside on him in that EF/SF derby a couple of weeks ago. Carter played well on him for the most part, but just couldn't go with Dick when he got goalside.

Man, I had that nagging thought at the back of my head as well. He just doesn't have enough natural ball winning ability to compensate for his lack of pace, so I couldn't place him in the guts or on a wing.

FWIW, I base that claim re: Carter's pace on watching Dick get goalside on him in that EF/SF derby a couple of weeks ago. Carter played well on him for the most part, but just couldn't go with Dick when he got goalside.

It's probably too early to be making these calls on Adam anyway, he's still only in his first season of senior WAFL footy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's probably too early to be making these calls on Adam anyway, he's still only in his first season of senior WAFL footy.

Good point. I'm sure our development staff are aware of his deficiencies and are working to address them regardless.

Carter's a good player, it's just hard for me to pinpoint a role for him within our structure at the moment.

Additionally, it's probably unfair to compare his WAFL form to Bennell's given Bennell has spent time on an AFL list previously and has a few years of development (albeit at Melbourne) under his belt.

WC's season is shot, so may as well play Newman, (and some others), sooner rather than later. Perhaps another game or two at waffle level, then a good, continual stint at AFL level for the rest of the season to see how he goes, without the pressure that comes from potentially being axed and sent to the magoos hanging over his head. I think Newman would thrive under those conditions. At the very least, he'll be better prepared to step into his role at AFL level next season, in spite of the burden of potential axing if he doesn't perform. Such an opportunity might just see the becoming of a player who becomes a shoo-in for a place in WC's best 21 at the outset of season 2014.

Just on Newman, if he comes into the team where would he play and who would go out for him? Isn't he more of a forward?

Newman would be lucky to get a gig prior to August

His fitness base would be nowhere near afl standard

We do have a vacant small pocket up for grabs which hams tries and fails to fill

So if Newman's fitness isn't quite there yet, make him the sub.

( I do get that it is better for him to play a full game in the WAFL, but better for our team for him to be sub as he offers more than Hams/ Cripps IMO. We played Gaff as sub for most of his first year, so it's not unheard of.)

I thought Nicoski was not great at all yesterday. Bennell beat him convincingly for most of the game, and a couple of Nicoski's goals were gifts due to a 50 metre penalty and a lucky kick into the pocket that fell his way. Bennell looked good for his first senior game back. Funnily enough Ch7 mentioned Nicoski's 3 goals in the WAFL report as if it was the highlight of the game.

murray was excellent yesterday. his intensity and hunger to be involved in everything was really obvious imo. that is the most important thing as his talent is undoubted.

Remove this Banner Ad

2nds WAFL/WAFL Reserves Thread 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

Back