WAFL Watch 2011

Remove this Banner Ad

Very encouraging to read that about Faulks. After a lacklustre start it sounds like he's working up to the level we expected of him going by his VFL form.

His development is probably the most crucial of all our rookies. He's the key piece in the succession plan of our KPP backs (especially crucial since I'm starting to doubt Sibo's chances of making it as a reliable, consistent AFL backman).

Quote:
Casey Sibosado
Casey started at centre half-forward for Perth this week and looked lively early, taking some good contested grabs and hitting the contest hard. He demonstrated accurate kicking and finished with five goals for the day. He played a really good game at centre half-back last week and Mark Harvey wanted to see how Casey presented as a forward. Overall, he had a good day.

I must have been looking at a different game "hitting the contest hard." Agree with the rest though.

So what did you think about Casey? How did he look to you? Does he look like the next possible elevation among our next tier of players?

I would be interested in your thoughts on the matter. Thanks.

So what did you think about Casey? How did he look to you? Does he look like the next possible elevation among our next tier of players?

I would be interested in your thoughts on the matter. Thanks.

I think if people are frustrated by Johnson then Sibosado is going to drive them insane. He has heaps of natural ability but is not a one grab mark yet and is casual in the same vein as Paddy Ryder. On the positive side he has great skills, appears to know his way around the forward line and is a great kick for goal. I just don't believe Harvey will give him much opportunity if he does not increase his intensity. Personally, i am a bit like you I would love to see him elevated because he is an interesting talent and doesn't look too far off at times but at other times.... Whether he puts in a bit more effort at training and the match committee see a different side of him i don't know. But i really wish he would pull the proverbial out, because he is running out of time. I am kinder hoping the rookie list gets incorporated into the main list for next season that way the match committee can give him a little more time.

I think if people are frustrated by Johnson then Sibosado is going to drive them insane. He has heaps of natural ability but is not a one grab mark yet and is casual in the same vein as Paddy Ryder. On the positive side he has great skills, appears to know his way around the forward line and is a great kick for goal. I just don't believe Harvey will give him much opportunity if he does not increase his intensity. Personally, i am a bit like you I would love to see him elevated because he is an interesting talent and doesn't look too far off at times but at other times.... Whether he puts in a bit more effort at training and the match committee see a different side of him i don't know. But i really wish he would pull the proverbial out, because he is running out of time. I am kinder hoping the rookie list gets incorporated into the main list for next season that way the match committee can give him a little more time.

I would agree with this and I have watched a fair bit of Sibo live and on TV. Has truck loads of talent no doubt but even on the weekend with the 5 goals I just didnt see the second efforts. Was crowing at the umpires on occasions and easily out musculed. He is smooth mover though on the lead in space and when in space in general he looks beautiful. The intensity is exactly what is lacking.

I also agree with sentiments on Faulks. Really hoping he comes on. This year has been a real development year for Faulks. I'm sure with an extended injury free run we will see some real progress and he should be adequate coverage even at this time should Groves or McPharlin go down injured.

May aswell get this out of the way now, what else is/was wrong with Scham other than his kicking?

It just appears that when he plays at the next level certain areas of his game begin to disintegrate e.g. his kicking, his decision making and the one time Harvey gave him a job last year to stop Aaron Davey he coped a hiding. Good footballer in a lot of ways just in the wrong team. IMHO. Whether any of this would improve if he was given a little more opportunity, I couldn't tell you. I have never really understood why the use him as an outside rather than inside player. Maybe someone else could shed light on that.

May aswell get this out of the way now, what else is/was wrong with Scham other than his kicking?

Short, slowish, poor awareness, fumbles, can't keep his feet, can't hold his ground and he's a bad decision maker. Basically he's just not very good in/around the contest at AFL level and there is no where else he can play.

In fairness, he got f'd around a lot when he first came to the club, so he never really got the chance to settle into a set position.

You could apply pretty much every one of those things to Palmer, and then some.

I agree. But they may decide they can only have one in the team and it looks like they have chosen Palmer. Having said that I have no doubt they would trade Palmer too if they got the right offer. I thought Schammer played some really good games for freo early in his career, he just dropped off for a period and it has proved to be fatal.

You could apply pretty much every one of those things to Palmer, and then some.

Sure, except for the poor awareness, slowish, short, fumbles, can't keep his feet, can't hold his ground parts, they're like the same player. It's kind of why Palmer is actually able to win the ball around stoppages, whereas Schammer can't. The bad decision making has only crept into Palmer's game whilst he's been on the comeback trail and lacking confidence. He was actually a very creative player when he first arrived; it was only his skills that let him down.

I guess they are both blonde though...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sure, except for the poor awareness, slowish, short, fumbles, can't keep his feet, can't hold his ground parts, they're like the same player. It's kind of why Palmer is actually able to win the ball around stoppages, whereas Schammer can't. The bad decision making has only crept into Palmer's game whilst he's been on the comeback trail and lacking confidence. He was actually a very creative player when he first arrived; it was only his skills that let him down.

I guess they are both blonde though...

Palmer is constantly being run down these days, which shows lack of pace and awareness, his tackles don't stick, he's short, he fumbles, his goal kicking is horrible, loses his feet just as much as Schammer, is incapable of getting the ball this season, and is far less capable of winning a contest.

Can't hold his ground parts? eh?

Point is, Schammer is more capable of playing Palmers current role in the team.

Palmer is constantly being run down these days, which shows lack of pace and awareness, his tackles don't stick, he's short, he fumbles, his goal kicking is horrible, loses his feet just as much as Schammer, is incapable of getting the ball this season, and is far less capable of winning a contest.

I guess they think because of Palmers age he still has a lot more improvement in him, especially as he is coming back from a knee. If they get a good trade for Palmer they may look at Schammer differently. Although it doesn't appear that way at the moment. He looks goneski.:(

might not be the right thread to mention it, but langdon said the other night, that palmer has put a contract to freo, and wants to sign on to stay, but its freo that are holding out. which wouldnt suprise me, but maybe the palmer bashing from us all is a little premature.

on the palmer V schammer, schammer is done and dusted, will play for glenelg next year

There is so much wrong with this I'm struggling for a starting point...

In every single area you are criticising Palmer in - other than when you're just plain wrong - he is better at than Schammer. Every single area. He's faster, taller, better at winning the ball, stronger, smarter, cleaner, the list goes on and on and on.

On the highlighted section, based on the games that Palmer has actually played as a midfielder - by my count there have been 3 and a quarter (Geelong) - he's shown that he has no trouble winning the ball. Even last season, he was our most prolific ball winner when it was broken down to TOG v Disposals.

Typo. It missed about half the sentence to be honest, not sure what happened. It should've read something like the following:

"...can't hold his ground, but apart from that it's like they're the same player..."

Point is, you're wrong.

Palmer has his flaws, but he brings a hell of a lot more to the table than Schammer. There is also a lot more benefit long-term in getting Palmer back to his best.

Strong mail indicates Palmer will be used for a pick from Gws which we will then pass onto another club, with a pick of ours for a W.A player who wants out of his current predicament.

Should just use Schammer seeing as he's better than Palmer and all...

Either way, if the story is true, it better be for Bennell, if it's Mitch Clark I will dead-set spew.

Remove this Banner Ad

WAFL Watch 2011

Remove this Banner Ad

Back