Walters :Just how good?

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 29, 2004
Kimberley
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Eagles Reserves
A person who I respect re their great knowledge of the game and a great judge of talent believes that Walters may end up being most talented of all the WA draftees.This person has been a very successful counrty Football coach has not player at AFL level but has one of the best eyes for talent I have seen.
He has been proved right and right again over the years

Maybe, but I wouldn't take him ahead of Naita, Yarran, Rich and Blight.

He flat out knows how to play football, is up their with Yarran when it comes to footy-brain, creativity and tricks(though doesn't have the athleticism to boot like Yarran). Incredibly hard at the footy too, high work rate, has plenty of aggro in him (as most the Swan Districts kids tend to) and uses the ball brilliantly by both hands in close and left foot over 50m.

However, he's 177cm (in his favour bottom-aged so could push up to 180cm), 'skinny-fat' (narrow framed, but has high skinfolds) and lacks athleticism - the latter 2 could probably be solved with 2-3 big AFL pre-seasons.

His ball delivery when under pressure is a good as you will see.

Thats the thing I have noticed when you watch him play, always hits targets and keeps his feet i like him for pick 20.

Walters is so silky, beautiful kick, very smart and all class. If we get him at 18 we will have Daniel Kerr Mark II.

Rich, Swift, Walters would be easily the greatest draft ever.

Walters is so silky, beautiful kick, very smart and all class. If we get him at 18 we will have Daniel Kerr Mark II.

Or Naita, Swift, Walters and it would still be the greatest draft ever.

I don't think he is the type of player we would traditionally go for with a top 20 draft pick, seems the mock drafts are turing into group think & because this guy is small, can play forward and is from WA he gets drafted by WC.

I would be looking at quick thinking, good lateral movement & 6'2+ athletes that are not from Vic Metro or Queensland with top 20 draft picks - less chance of failure.

Except for missing out on Naita.
Youd have to loan your missus out to the recruiters if they pulled off another runner up twice brownlow medalist midfielder at #18 just to say thanks.

I don't think he is the type of player we would traditionally go for with a top 20 draft pick, seems the mock drafts are turing into group think & because this guy is small, can play forward and is from WA he gets drafted by WC.

I would be looking at quick thinking, good lateral movement & 6'2+ athletes that are not from Vic Metro or Queensland with top 20 draft picks - less chance of failure.

nah, we have enough of them imo, we can top our young list off with the best talent available, elite one position players is the way to go this time.
walters, swift, yarran, naita, rich, suban, instead of broadbent, smith etc

(Log in to remove this ad.)

nah, we have enough of them imo, we can top our young list off with the best talent available, elite one position players is the way to go this time.
walters, swift, yarran, naita, rich, suban, instead of broadbent, smith etc

The only elite small this year (imo) is Yarran - he has shown through the U16's, U18's & Senior WAFL that he is capable of absolute elite performance.

Having only seen Walters 4 times this year & only one of those times actually impressing me in ANY way (NSW/ACT) it's hard for me to rate him as a top 20 draft pick in a top 25 that is as strong as any over the past 5 years. Top 20 is the area where you get the best talls & the best medium midfielders - not quite small forwards are WAY down the order of draft priority.

I really wouldn't be surprised if he is taken in the 4th+ round this year or rookie listed next year. you really do need to be elite to make it as a small these days, so few end up having an impact. Compare Walters to guys like LeRoy Jetta, Trav Varcoe, Cyril Rioli, Addam Maric ect - these guys were proven elite & all went mid 1st to mid 2nd round. Compare Waltes to guys like Jacky, the Kangas boiys, Nathan Krakouer & others of that quality - not worth top 20 IMO.

Not saying we shouldn't pick him up but I am saying I would HATE to see the club use a top 20 draft pick on a small thats not of the quality of Yarran or Rioli.

One of the Midvale JFC coaches who's seen the Swans top quality youngsters this year go through the ranks (Naitanui, Yarran, Walters, Blight), rated them in order of skill as:

1. Walters 2. Blight 3. Yarran 4. Naitanui

The only elite small this year (imo) is Yarran - he has shown through the U16's, U18's & Senior WAFL that he is capable of absolute elite performance.

Having only seen Walters 4 times this year & only one of those times actually impressing me in ANY way (NSW/ACT) it's hard for me to rate him as a top 20 draft pick in a top 25 that is as strong as any over the past 5 years. Top 20 is the area where you get the best talls & the best medium midfielders - not quite small forwards are WAY down the order of draft priority.

I really wouldn't be surprised if he is taken in the 4th+ round this year or rookie listed next year. you really do need to be elite to make it as a small these days, so few end up having an impact. Compare Walters to guys like LeRoy Jetta, Trav Varcoe, Cyril Rioli, Addam Maric ect - these guys were proven elite & all went mid 1st to mid 2nd round. Compare Waltes to guys like Jacky, the Kangas boiys, Nathan Krakouer & others of that quality - not worth top 20 IMO.

Not saying we shouldn't pick him up but I am saying I would HATE to see the club use a top 20 draft pick on a small thats not of the quality of Yarran or Rioli.

Well I'd say you havnt seen enough of Walters. Was voted the best player at the NAB 16's carnival last year, having a 40+ possession game and averagin over 30 disposals a game, very similar to Tom Swift whos rated as a top.20 pick without having played a game for two years.

The problem is people have been rating him as a small forward really based on the fact that he's indigenous, whereas hes a midfielder, and wouldnt play in a forward pocket.

Of the guys Ltam compared his quality to, I'd confidently say he's better then Varcoe and Maric pre-draft and a long way above Jacky, Krak, Campbell and Thomas at the same point. Rioli and Jetta would've been ahead. If he goes 4th round it will be one of the biggest steals in the history of humans.

That's where Walters is tough LTAM. If you just watch a game he doesn't stand out. I found him to be like watching Masten last year, you had to hone in on who you were watching to really see what they did and what they got up to. I watched 1 game this year, think Sunny hadn't done much and then you see the stats for 13 I50:eek:, yes 13. There are not too many better users of the ball or setters up of play, plus he get's a reasonable amount of the ball and is agro :D.

Midway through the year Sydney were supposedly into him big time, but we'll see. if he's there at 18 I'd play snap!

I would prefer Neville Jetta before Walters, but thats just my opinion.

As much as I love Jetta, Ben, I would take Walters before him every time.

Would you take Blight before Walters, chrsco?

No, I would consider that a bigger risk. However, if Blight paid off, it would be in spades.

I found with Walters he stood out in the champs because he was playing a more outside role (wing/HFF/FP) showing off his range of tricks, but when you watch him play colts he's bang in the middle of packs extracting the footy out and getting down and dirty (apart from the odd miracle snap goal from the pocket).

Remove this Banner Ad

Walters :Just how good?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back