Up the Coasters Brilliant. Just ******* Brilliant (Positives and Negatives vs Narrm)

Remove this Banner Ad

People have very short memories around here. He was just about best player in the league in 2018 before getting injured.

Darling was best player in the league for the first half of 2018 and even with missing a few games was still #1 for contested marks across the competition.

2018-2019 Darling was pretty special.

Big scandal. Kornes better get investigating

View attachment 1994984
I have the inside goss.... The club has actually set up a room with 8 business class seats at Lathlain - for home games, the best/ biggest players are required to sit in them for half a day, 1-2 days before the match.

I still want to see Culley back in the team, i feel he can add a lot, another big body around the contest he can kick goals. I would bring him in for Aaron Edwards or JJ

In fact when Yeo, Culley and Hewitt are in i dare say Edwards, JJ and Sheed may be out

Aaron Edwards still needs time and is worth persisting with
We have an aaron Edwards? Or did it just alphabetise the first Edwards?

Coaches votes are out
Waalitj Marawar v Narrm
10 Harley Reid (WCE)
8 Jake Waterman (WCE)
6 Tim Kelly (WCE)
2 Jeremy McGovern (WCE)
2 Jack Darling (WCE)
2 Liam Duggan (WCE)

Nice easy breakdown, with only 2 players getting votes from 1 coach and not the other.
Three 2s split 2-0, 2-0 and 1-1 which is almost the most interesting part about them.

At one centre bounce in the 3rd quarter we had Jack Williams rucking to Reid, Ginbey and Edwards. The Dees had Gawn, Petracca, Oliver and Pickett

Love that we were prepared to back the young guys in when the game was at it’s hottest - Melbourne had closed the gap to 11 points

It was the bounce where Reid did the double fend and the clearance eventually ended in a goal to Darling

QUARTER 2

Sheed early pressure on Oliver fantastic. Wasn't a solid tag in the first quarter but he was matched up on him at stages, but Sheed spent some time at HFF as well. This quarter looks like a hard tag to start. As the quarter goes on there are other players on Oliver at times, so Sheed wasn't tied to him exactly but did cover him for the majority I would say. Wasn't the old school tag where he follows him to the bench or into the centre bounces though.

TB chase down tackle, forgot about that. Adds to a stellar 1st quarter.

16:11 - Chesser bounce handball # 1, wide to Cripps for an easy gather in space. End result Cripps runs onto his own kick to Waterman, drops, fumbles, falls over, hits up Ryan for goal #1.

Kelly tackles Oliver, wins free kick for Oliver throw, then later stands under a kick from Gov to take contact from Oliver but complete the mark, hits up Darling with a nice kick. A good few minutes.

Poor umpire non-call on Maric’s tackle, HTB all day and umpire let’s them play which results in Brown’s fluke goal from the boundary.

11:10 – Cole smothers the handball chain, soccers long to Darling, draws the player then handballs long to Cripps who spots up Waterman (misses set shot). Great team play. That front on pressure felt like it had been missing recently.

08:13 – Jack Williams’ good 2nd efforts against Gawn on the wing, gets the ball to ground and then swats it away, Sheed gathers down low out to Hough, back through Jack Williams who Gawn doesn’t follow, eventually Gov with a great handball wide to Hunt, kicks inboard a little awkward but follows up, Ryan with a long handball back to Hunt who gathers clean on a half-volley then goes long to Maric (goal).

04:59 – Reid steals the ball off the boot, Oliver collects him and he’s gone for all money HTB as another player comes in as well. A small wrestle and somehow a handball comes out. Crazy good for 19 years old.

Jack Williams looks like he moves well across the ground. Looked at his stats and he’s 68% TOG which probably helps as he always looks fresh. Has good speed for a big man at times.

00:35 - Hunt’s busiest quarter, ball seemed to live on his wing in the 2nd quarter (broadcast side), 0:31 left high pressure impacts Viney’s kick for a direct turnover to Witherden. The one leading to Witherden’s bullet to Reid, with his bullet to Cripps who very nearly goals after the siren from a tough angle 50 out.

When Witherden takes the mark at 0:29 you can see Cripps tracking his man forward in the centre square, then he turns as Witho marks, you see him turn goal side of his man, with another Demon’s defender also between Cripps and the goal. Neither is there when Cripps marks it, he out worked them both to generate that scoring shot.

Been a few times over the last year or so witherden looks like a shoe in for a delisting spot and then he goes on to play like he has the last two weeks. Man i kinda hope he can have some continuity into his game cause when he plays like that that back 6 looks elite. Starting to notice some really good kicks where there’s risk but he isn’t biting off too much

For those who were a bit flat with Ginbeys 2nd half, for whatever reason in the 3rd qtr onwards, he was manning up on Petracca at CBDs and when Tracc rotated forward, he followed. Was definitely a tactical change, because when Tracc went forward in the first half, he was manned up by Duggan. So wouldn’t put the blame solely on Ginbey, he was probably just doing what is asked of him from the coaches

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At one centre bounce in the 3rd quarter we had Jack Williams rucking to Reid, Ginbey and Edwards. The Dees had Gawn, Petracca, Oliver and Pickett

Love that we were prepared to back the young guys in when the game was at it’s hottest - Melbourne had closed the gap to 11 points

It was the bounce where Reid did the double fend and the clearance eventually ended in a goal to Darling
Same quartet, JWill/Reid/Ginbey/Edwards on the three bounce goal of the year.

I know these are long but may as well finish them.

QUARTER 3

Start of quarter is good, Bwill with the big hitout win into space, Jones to Reid, sells Duggan into trouble but manages to handball 25m forward being tackled, Sheed soccers long to Darling who tackles strongly, havoc ensues until Chesser unveils a weird non-bouncing style of handball to Waterman for the goal assist. Was good open play with everyone thinking on their feet.

17:56 – Melbourne kick their 2nd behind of the match. Gov surveys the field which is weighted to the right wing and Ryan cleverly doesn’t get drawn in with his man, realising the space on offer when his opponent gets far enough away he breaks on a long lead. No stopping that.

When the ball is about half-way to Ryan notice Waterman take off in the background into space, gets an instant 5m on his opponent as he realises what’s unfolding. This is the play that ends in Ginbey’s goal by the way. Ryan makes a mess of it midfield but cleans it up with Cripps help, Darling’s great forward pressure gives the spill out to Ginbey.

At the time of the kick in Ginbey is pushing out to the right wing on the back of the centre square, looks to be loosely following Gawn for the spillage if the ball did go long and right as it often does. Ran hard the whole way to get the goal and never got picked up by a defender.

16:00 - Petracca takes advantage and misses. Umpire gives the Demons another shot. This quarter is a rort from the umpires.

14:50 – Really good pressure from Chesser, thought it was Cole for a second, didn’t get sold the dummy and pressures the kick. Rotham drops an uncontested mark and Demons goal but the defensive efforts were good resulting in the up and under kick. Following this Fritsch loses Rotham a tiny bit on the turn as Oliver has a free kick. Rotham does well to close this ground but weirdly elects not to jump. Looks very bad following the dropped mark. Good coverage but poor decision.

10:29 – Kick in number 4, the cameras miss it but Gov goes quick and finds Rotham on the 50, Cole’s hard run past stops anyone manning the mark allowing Rotham to turn and go, he hits Jwill 55m away on a huge lead and kick up the middle. 2 quick kicks and we're 80 out from our own goal.

05:35 – Desperate effort from Cole to smother, turnover ball that Kelly rips from Ginbey’s hands as his arms are pinned, Liam Ryan with another awesome long handball into space, this one for Cole who can run onto it and have a shot (misses).

02:52 – Kick in number 7 goes left of screen to Ryan on a long lead, feel like Ryan should have taken this but the ball goes to ground (poor camera angle can’t see what happened). Ball comes back in and Billings gets a free kick for no apparent reason but he misses the shot anyway.

02:07 – Kick in number 8 goes to the right of screen but this time nobody is there and Chesser is in heaps of space, easy uncontested grab 50m out from goal.

00:53 – Proof that Darling can still jump and a tidy little step from Ryan in traffic before hitting up a short kick inboard off one step. So good, vision and composure that opens the game up. This is the play that leads to Harley’s one handed grab and turn goal.

Darling from the marking contest provides an option for Cripps, kick forward is bad but both he and somehow Cripps gets there to bodyline the ball, takes two Demons players out of the play, Chesser with another strange aerial handball to Kelly, Reid does the rest. Ryan’s class and the other two’s work rate gives Reid the chance to shine there.

Last edited:
QUARTER 4

18:45 –
Kick in number 9 is a short kick to Duggan, both Brown and McAdams go to Duggan for some reason allowing Gov to run on for the receive and drill it to Jones on a long lead, but Jones drops a relatively easy mark. Similar to kick in 5 I think where Gov played on and ran through the middle but in that one Gov turned it over eventually. Luckily Witherden recovers it but a series of dropped marks in the middle turn it over again.

17:06 – Kelly having a good few minutes with ground ball gets and just being hard to pin down, very agile moving around in f50

15:15 – Barrass again huge. Surprised there’s no coaches votes for him he was incredible. Reid gets the ball and 15:05 Jones takes off to the wing. Massive lead and in the end it is a life saver as Reid can’t see any option in the corridor.

I really like the switch here, Rotham to Barrass, Duggan opens the field up by coming in towards Barrass and being unused, Barrass hits the long kick end result is a ball up on the f50 after a sloppy kick from Kelly but with cleaner disposal and maybe taking the short option this play ends in a mark inside 50.

13:20 – Tom Cole saves the game. Chandler goes up for a mark and Cole worries him out of it then follows up with the ground pressure, results in Gov intercept mark. Demons still in the game at this point so this was huge.

12:00 – Sheed’s run down tackle on Rivers, it’s actually a result of not quite being close enough to Oliver who he was on. Duggan lays a big bump on Woewoedin causing a spillage. Originally I thought this hurt Duggan but it didn’t, Reid pushes someone over and their boot smashes into Duggan’s knee which made him react a bit. Was right on his left knee which I think was the problem knee for him.

08:38 – Witherden’s clearly being held but does well to win it regardless, this is what I was talking about with Darling getting awkward balls and turning them to our favour. The kick from Witho is under pressure, snap with side spin falling short and Darling just manages enough of a directing hand on it to get it out of bounds. Good half-volley again from Hunt in the lead up play, clean below the knees.

08:20 – Peak Gov, intercept mark turning the opponent, eyes for the ball the whole time while the opponent worries about him, then a one step bullet 50m to Cripps. End result is Liam Ryan goal from 50m out. Thanks Gov. Pressure from Chesser on the kick helps as well.

06:09 – Kick in number 10, short to Gov, Gov goes long to TB leading him up to the ball, relatively easy two kicks and we’re 70 away from our own goal. Leads to Darling outmarking Gawn on the wing.

02:34 – Maric with a kick that Jetta would be proud of, drops it wide of the body and nails it off the outside of the boot. Swings a bit away from Sheed who probably didn’t expect it to be so good, drops it but he looks pretty tired by this point, tricky to grab.

01:25 – Rivers thinks he can get around Cole but Cole doesn’t fall for much, JWill takes over and does amazing work to create the turnover, agility for a big bloke. Again with long handballs from Dewar and finally Darling to Cripps to take the team over 100

After seeing Harley’s goal from the centre bounce a million times, i can’t quite see who the Melbourne player is, but a Melbourne player runs parallel to Harley for the majority of his run rather than just run at him to stop the whole thing. Quite funny.

After seeing Harley’s goal from the centre bounce a million times, i can’t quite see who the Melbourne player is, but a Melbourne player runs parallel to Harley for the majority of his run rather than just run at him to stop the whole thing. Quite funny.

Was Viney

He had an uncharacteristically quiet game. Didn’t have any influence at all

Yellow top with royal shorts under lights are thing of beauty. Gotta petition the club to start wearing the yellow wings at home at least once a season
I've said it 100 times - a dig deep cancer fund raising game with the yellow wings

This ****ing tag making it impossible to find the god damn autopsy.
Why wait to be insufferable i can start right now.

In all serious, hamming up the dickhead approach for the comedy, but glad to hear oppo having a good time at a game that didn't go how they planned.
Also nice to hear we are better than freo, much like my penis size i know it already bit hearing it from others always puts a smile on the face.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240520_193118_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240520_193118_Chrome.jpg
    542.1 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Been a few times over the last year or so witherden looks like a shoe in for a delisting spot and then he goes on to play like he has the last two weeks. Man i kinda hope he can have some continuity into his game cause when he plays like that that back 6 looks elite. Starting to notice some really good kicks where there’s risk but he isn’t biting off too much
Witherden has been quite good this year. Was great last night.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back