Up the Coasters Brilliant. Just ******* Brilliant (Positives and Negatives vs Narrm)

Remove this Banner Ad

The kick ins are an interesting one.

Felt like Ryan was involved a lot in that, the HFFs really pushed up well and it caught Melbourne off-guard.

The more we do it the more oppo coaches will try and stifle it, so it becomes a new battle now of when do you pull it out? How creative can you get with dummy leads and using another option etc.

Have you been to the Fremantle board 🙈

They’re convinced he is going to bail after this contract x
Wishful thinking on their part imo as they thought they had got rid of the West being besotted by Nic - and now it’s Harley lol! Mind you in saying that the West do go over the top in their reporting on Harley - particularly on the back page.

I still want to see Culley back in the team, i feel he can add a lot, another big body around the contest he can kick goals. I would bring him in for Aaron Edwards or JJ

In fact when Yeo, Culley and Hewitt are in i dare say Edwards, JJ and Sheed may be out

Aaron Edwards still needs time and is worth persisting with

I mean from a marketing perspective imagine a Fremantle supporter at a booth having Luke Jackson sell your club.

Then in the next booth you have king Harley there. Every kid is running straight to WCE. Brings a tear to my eyes with Fremantle nuffies being so triggered

Kick in tactic is clear as day to me. Pack one side of the ground and have a forward make a 100m lead up the ground for McGovern to find lace out.

We did this a good 5 times today. Most notable one was Waterman literally making 100m lead which took him a good 1 minute to complete mind you but we hit him on the chest and simply split Demons open after.

Its how to use the fact we have so many tall leading forwards to our advantage really. Not many teams can swap Ryan, Darling, Waterman, Maric out as players to lead and take a contested grab. Just using a strength to our advantage, with what you lose and that can be defensive pressure on the half backs
Actually Maric, ball use is very good, Darling was back to his best running up and down the ground providng a target, Ryan was getting involved. Again it all starts with winning at the contest and we also started to score from transition.

Still missing Oscar, Yeo, Long, Flynn, Culley and Hewett folks. Six first 22 players (well I guess the latter three are still marginal).

Obviously this won't happen every week but for the first time in a long time I am bullish about our future. Four quarter performance against a premiership contender and smashed them in most key aspects that measure dominance (scoreboard, inside 50s, clearances, pressure acts etc). There will still be big losses this year, for sure, but I now know they will reduce as the players develop. They all seem to really enjoy their footy at the moment, genuinely.

I still want to see Culley back in the team, i feel he can add a lot, another big body around the contest he can kick goals. I would bring him in for Aaron Edwards or JJ

In fact when Yeo, Culley and Hewitt are in i dare say Edwards, JJ and Sheed may be out

Aaron Edwards still needs time and is worth persisting with
Aaron Edwards (born 2 March 1984) is a former professional Australian rules footballer who played for the West Coast Eagles, North Melbourne Football Club and Richmond Football Club in the Australian Football League (AFL). Edwards also played for the Frankston Football Club in the Victorian Football League (VFL) and in 2022 played in the Southern Football Netball League for St Kilda City.

Still missing Oscar, Yeo, Long, Flynn, Culley and Hewett folks. Six first 22 players (well I guess the latter three are still marginal).

Obviously this won't happen every week but for the first time in a long time I am bullish about our future. Four quarter performance against a premiership contender and smashed them in most key aspects that measure dominance (scoreboard, inside 50s, clearances, pressure acts etc). There will still be big losses this year, for sure, but I now know they will reduce as the players develop. They all seem to really enjoy their footy at the moment, genuinely.

Would like to see Culley play another couple of WAFL games building fitness then bring him in and give him a good crack.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watching the replay and running thoughts

QUARTER 1
Ginbey's early pressure in the stoppage clearance is huge. Goes down back and helps clean up some contested balls as well.

Darling's first goal - he is the one who soccers initially to Kelly, who gets it to Reid who goes deep to Snake, Darling burns past 2 defenders to get that volley, they didn't want to put in the hard yards. Then he chops off an intercept spoil.

Ryan's creativity on full display, little chip kicks from congestion for Cripps to run onto (dropped mark). Shows his belief and natural game are back.

Cole's body work before collecting groundballs is awesome, gives himself time. Has had a few strong full length tackles.

Gov covering 2 players, reading the eyes and peeling off at the perfect time to assist Williams against Gawn on the wing, then goes and wins the ground ball. ****ing animal.

Reid's goal - that's the B-line up in the centre bounce. JWill rucking, Edwards, Reid and Ginbey on Viney, Trac and Clarry. Amazing.

[masturbation break]

08:51 - Hunt's pressure from the "stand" on the mark, makes up 6 metres on opponent to pressure the kick and creates a turnover. Followed by Witherden nice long handball, not little one to Chesser running through but wide to Hough.

07:38 - Sheed has 3 handball options but delays the give (doesn't want to handball with his right hand), Duggan suggests Sheed misses the handball and then some switch in his brain goes off as he realises he hasn't helped Chesser get up from the tackle haha.

Rotham has dominated Fritsch this quarter, strong pressure tackle on the boundary and a good spoil in d50. Cole cleaning up everything down there with clean one hand pick ups.

Melbourne's very first behind ... Gov plays on, kicks long to the left for Waterman, marks 60 out relatively uncontested. Great start from the very first kick in, yards of space as everyone filled the other side of the ground.

02:53 - Rivers tries to step Tom Cole, denied, turnover results in Kelly groundball get and rebound immediately to a Darling 2v1, gets spoiled but then pressures the kicker immediately for an out of bounds.

02:00 - Barrass intercept mark, switches across the ground, Trac and Duggan running together, Trac let's Duggan go who marks, plays on, eventually Cripps goes long and Waterman's contested mark from in front of the pack. Can see Waterman's man is up at about the 50. Waterman obviously lead hard for Cripps then doubled back, defender didn't go with him. Good workrate and great grab there.

BOG - Gov, TB, Cole, Reid, Snake, Kelly

Our senior players were fantastic last night.

Gov, TommyB, Darling, TK were playing AA level footy. Duggan was really good. Witho looks a different player.

Jake Muthaluvvin' Waterdawg:
tumblr_mz856aWe8C1s5jeldo7_r1_250.gif

He's playing like peak Carey. Just so stoked he has got this opportunity to show his quality.

Bailey Williams, take a bow. Got towelled last week and must have had some sleepless nights knowing Gawn was his next challenge. Took the bull by the horns and was instrumental.

Harley - nuff said. Just makes footy exciting to watch.

Melbourne fans melting about the commentary. Delicious.

Seeing the team so pumped up, celebrating each other and enjoying their footy. We're watching synergyTM take form.

Neg:

Probably deserved to win by more given the control level we had over the course of the match. It really is the tiniest of quibbles.

Felt like Ryan was involved a lot in that, the HFFs really pushed up well and it caught Melbourne off-guard.

The more we do it the more oppo coaches will try and stifle it, so it becomes a new battle now of when do you pull it out? How creative can you get with dummy leads and using another option etc.

One in particular we had a loose that broke to the opposite wing and looked an option for Gov until he was quickly manned up. We've pulled the trigger on that option this season to good effect.

This time it seemed to be a decoy, Ryan snuck into the space and Gov sizzled a kick over the other two players to hit him.

Ryan and Willie (RIP) would push up the ground a lot in 2018 and their inside 50s were elite.

Used to love watching it.

Being such a late start and playing golf in the morning I was already a few cans deep by bouncedown.
Then as the game went on so did the beers even quicker.
Need to watch game a again I think, a bit fuzzy by the end of it 😁
All the major contributors have been mentioned a few times but I would like to give a shout out to JJ. Didn't get a heap of it but did have 7 marks and kept presenting as an option which added to our spread which in turn ran Melbourne rugged.

Hunt was surprisingly quite against his old mob, thought he may have one of his better games.

Also, how F-N good is Harley. He goes out of his way to find the oppo's best mids just to fend them off. 🤣🤣

Being such a late start and playing golf in the morning I was already a few cans deep by bouncedown.
Then as the game went on so did the beers even quicker.
Need to watch game a again I think, a bit fuzzy by the end of it 😁
All the major contributors have been mentioned a few times but I would like to give a shout out to JJ. Didn't get a heap of it but did have 7 marks and kept presenting as an option which added to our spread which in turn ran Melbourne rugged.

Hunt was surprisingly quite against his old mob, thought he may have one of his better games.

Also, how F-N good is Harley. He goes out of his way to find the oppo's best mids just to fend them off. 🤣🤣
I'm the same, with less beers. But watching a replay to see what happened and how.

Hunts playing on the wing with Edwards and Chesser on rotations. Our wingers never seem to get high numbers.

Personally prefer Hunt doing similar to Duggan as a roaming HBF (not locking down per se like Hough and Cole) to get him the ball.

Pausing all the wide shots and trying to note where guys are is interesting but makes the replay a long watch.

Totally agree, he threw Mcdonald around who is significantly bigger & very strong himself.
And no disrespect to darling, but I don't think he's ever reached these heights
People have very short memories around here. He was just about best player in the league in 2018 before getting injured.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back