Toast Warren Tredrea - Elected to the Port Board (Football discussion only)

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty sure they're all adults. I'm not into racing whether it's dogs or horses but football players and gambling have been synonomous for years.

A head coach and GM in gambling industry ownership syndicates with current players is one of the more fertile red flag forests a club can plant, I’d have thought.

I'm as big a Tredders fan as you can be, but it's a results business. Needs to get Hinkley sacked

He needs to convince the very football committee who recently recommended extended Hinkley’s contract. He is just one vote.

A head coach and GM in gambling industry ownership syndicates with current players is one of the more fertile red flag forests a club can plant, I’d have thought.

Warning Watch Out GIF

Warning Inside Out GIF by Disney Pixar

The Deep Amber Alert GIF by The Deep (Series)

Port officials:
bart simpson GIF

If you're president, do you let it occur?
I'm guessing you mean the President of our club which is a part of a national organisation who makes tens of millions of dollars a year directly from gambling sponsorship and product fees. Sportsbet reportedly paid over 8 million to the AFL last year. The previoius CEO now works for Tabcorp. I don't like or participate in dog or horse racing and have had to have a constant conversation with my sons who talk about their multi's during the game but I'm not naive enough to think that Ken's dog sydicate with his players is the hill our President will choose to die on under the circumstances.

I'm guessing you mean the President of our club which is a part of a national organisation who makes tens of millions of dollars a year directly from gambling sponsorship and product fees. Sportsbet reportedly paid over 8 million to the AFL last year. The previoius CEO now works for Tabcorp. I don't like or participate in dog or horse racing and have had to have a constant conversation with my sons who talk about their multi's during the game but I'm not naive enough to think that Ken's dog sydicate with his players is the hill our President will choose to die on under the circumstances.

What would you do if you were president?

It's not illegal, but I would request the coach not to involve any player or coach, with a rationale. I know that it may be futile, but it gives a profile.

Jesus it's an easy answer but he gave you that feels for that one finals win against Hawthorn where we fell over the line but pretend there's no leadership issue with the syndicates.

Here's a hint, it's nothing to do with the gambling industry and everything to do with culture and how to run things the right way.

What would you do if you were president?

It's not illegal, but I would request the coach not to involve any player or coach, with a rationale. I know that it may be futile, but it gives a profile.
Fair call - you're right it would be a great way of making a stand as a club - even if it was a little bit hypercritical. Would you get rid of the pokies or is it just gambling with animals that is the problem?

Fair call - you're right it would be a great way of making a stand as a club - even if it was a little bit hypercritical. Would you get rid of the pokies or is it just gambling with animals that is the problem?
You'd get rid of neither the pokies or worry about anything to do with gambling, it's not the issue. Maybe think about it from a players view and then imagine what sort of a shitshow of leadership even allows this to happen in the first place without blowing a fuse?

You are one of the players on the fringe of the first team and you are not in the special coaches group, next week you are up against one of the players in it for the last spot in the squad for the next game. You get 25 and a goal in the SANFL and they get 11 and kick 2 points. They get selected.

The entire afl is hypocritical but there should still be boundaries. The problem for me is that each year young men come under the coach's guidance and club's responsibility. It could be tempting for some to develop the same habit as their coach and via their coach, and not control it. I just don't like it.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Awwwww Kenny the father figure. The wonderful father figure that encourages his kids to join him in a gambling syndicate. You're quality.

Imagine being ok with your club’s coach and players being in a syndicate to race greyhounds, an industry shrouded by so much malpractice and controversy.
It’s totally ****ed up.

You'd get rid of neither the pokies or worry about anything to do with gambling, it's not the issue. Maybe think about it from a players view and then imagine what sort of a shitshow of leadership even allows this to happen in the first place without blowing a fuse?

You are one of the players on the fringe of the first team and you are not in the special coaches group, next week you are up against one of the players in it for the last spot in the squad for the next game. You get 25 and a goal in the SANFL and they get 11 and kick 2 points. They get selected.
I'd agree with you if John Butcher wasn't one of the players in the syndicate - didn't seem to do him any favours.

Imagine being ok with your club’s coach and players being in a syndicate to race greyhounds, an industry shrouded by so much malpractice and controversy.
It’s totally ****ed up.
Come on. Dogs, horses all the same, horses just placed on a higher pedestal.

There are supposed to be controls to stop animal abuse but who knows.

Like head contact being eradicated from our sport leaving us no AFL so will be animal sports

I'd agree with you if John Butcher wasn't one of the players in the syndicate - didn't seem to do him any favours.
Question was, was he in it when he was here on the outer and after his playing career being in it certainly hasn't hurt considered he appears to be always around. You're all over the shop and just trolling now to pretend you can't see the issue.

Its The Future Syndicate.

If its anyone's syndicate, its John Butcher's. And the others are the members of it.

Mind you, Max Power seems perfect for Port.

While Max Power, a son of Bella Infrared and Aston Selena bred by keen Port fan Ray Borda, has won just four of his 30 starts, his most recent success coming at Mount Gambier last October, he's run minor placings in nine of his past 13 assignments.
Hardly ever gets the win, but grabs plenty of minor placings.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Warren Tredrea - Elected to the Port Board (Football discussion only)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back