Review Was round 9 2017 Geelong vs Western Bulldogs our best game plan?

Remove this Banner Ad

Was this our most convincing game plan. How does it compare to the final against Sydney. What type of approach do we need going forwards to be a better team and get the most out of our list?View attachment 479044

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
In both games, we attacked from the outset, and had the correct personnel.
Injuries are significant early this year.
Intense tackling and attack at all costs seems the way, but do we have the players equipped to keep this up for more than a quarter?
And then follow it up the week after, and again...

Think the ship has sailed in regards to developing the gameplan to get the most out of the list that was. Needed to be done in 2016/17. First two rounds of this season tell me Geelong is a long way off, and it's no longer primarily a tactics/gameplan problem. The players just aren't there or won't be there for a significant amount of time.

Think the ship has sailed in regards to developing the gameplan to get the most out of the list that was. Needed to be done in 2016/17. First two rounds of this season tell me Geelong is a long way off, and it's no longer primarily a tactics/gameplan problem. The players just aren't there or won't be there for a significant amount of time.

As in availability/injuries or headspace?

In both games, we attacked from the outset, and had the correct personnel.
Injuries are significant early this year.
Intense tackling and attack at all costs seems the way, but do we have the players equipped to keep this up for more than a quarter?
And then follow it up the week after, and again...

I think we do have the list to be able to do it. It’s just a mindset. You are either going to be guarding space or applying pressure because of the way you set up. If the group were to play team football and defend at all costs and help each other out in contests rather than guarding their man or chipping in to apply pressure to their team mates direct opponent you would see a more ferocious attack on the footy like we saw in last years game against the doggies. We won’t have to do this week in week out, 1) because of our talent and 2) because it probably isn’t needed against lesser skilled teams. I think in big games like that against Sydney in the finals last year, it is truly the most important aspect of our game. You could argue we couldn’t back it up week after week but I think when it comes to winning finals you may only need to do it for 3 weeks in a row like Richmond and Doggies the previous 2 years. In saying that we need to have a game plan which implements this type of focus and not fall back into a mindset that it’s more important to be guarding space which is exactly what happened in the prelim against Adelaide. I would love to see us begin to change that focus this season and let our less talented players just become more ruthless at the contest so what they lack in skills they make up for in endeavour to hunt the ball carrier and that will allow our top shelf guns to be able to run over teams more easily. It showed in the doggies game and the Sydney game and even the last game at home against GWS. When we attack the man first we look a lot more impressive and IMO should win more games than we lose. If not that then what are our options?

I think we do have the list to be able to do it. It’s just a mindset. You are either going to be guarding space or applying pressure because of the way you set up. If the group were to play team football and defend at all costs and help each other out in contests rather than guarding their man or chipping in to apply pressure to their team mates direct opponent you would see a more ferocious attack on the footy like we saw in last years game against the doggies. We won’t have to do this week in week out, 1) because of our talent and 2) because it probably isn’t needed against lesser skilled teams. I think in big games like that against Sydney in the finals last year, it is truly the most important aspect of our game. You could argue we couldn’t back it up week after week but I think when it comes to winning finals you may only need to do it for 3 weeks in a row like Richmond and Doggies the previous 2 years. In saying that we need to have a game plan which implements this type of focus and not fall back into a mindset that it’s more important to be guarding space which is exactly what happened in the prelim against Adelaide. I would love to see us begin to change that focus this season and let our less talented players just become more ruthless at the contest so what they lack in skills they make up for in endeavour to hunt the ball carrier and that will allow our top shelf guns to be able to run over teams more easily. It showed in the doggies game and the Sydney game and even the last game at home against GWS. When we attack the man first we look a lot more impressive and IMO should win more games than we lose. If not that then what are our options?

Good points.
The only area I slightly disagree is our talent. I do not think we are ahead of most teams. In fact, after our top 6, we drop away badly, and many of our keys are injury prone.
The comp is so even now that on any given day, there are no easy games. I would not be at all surprised to see Saints win this week. We saw NM smash Crows last year. Brisbane will scare teams. GC are undefeated. We struggle against Pies. Blues are laden with top end talent, although many fewer than we have.
We possibly do need to have the attack attitude every week because as we saw, only a 10% drop off and we lose games "inexplicably"

Good points.
The only area I slightly disagree is our talent. I do not think we are ahead of most teams. In fact, after our top 6, we drop away badly, and many of our keys are injury prone.
The comp is so even now that on any given day, there are no easy games. I would not be at all surprised to see Saints win this week. We saw NM smash Crows last year. Brisbane will scare teams. GC are undefeated. We struggle against Pies. Blues are laden with top end talent, although many fewer than we have.
We possibly do need to have the attack attitude every week because as we saw, only a 10% drop off and we lose games "inexplicably"

Yeah I totally get your point, I guess what I’m saying is we have shown we are capable of doing it. I think our talent isn’t as big a drop off as some people like to think. Our list is in a pretty good position and I reckon our recruits like Kelly will be crucial come finals. Same goes for Parfitt from last year. I think we lack consistency more than a lack of talent. If we could play 4 qtr rather than 2 or 3 we would win most games (wouldn’t every team). But I know if our 2nd tier players put in we look so much better. I just think we have a better chance of the team performing well by focusing on the one percenters more and doing the easy things like applying pressure well rather than relying on everyone’s talent so often to win contests. But I really do get your point there aren’t many easy games. The equalisation is starting to take affect more so than ever but to have so much talent and not get a premiership I think will be such a waste when I believe there are definitely ways we could work at to give ourselves a better chance.

Availability/injuries. The team will struggle to do much as long as Taylor and Henderson are out, and it looks like that will be a while away yet. The holes in the backline and ruck division are now too large and fundamental.
completely agree, reminiscent of Swans 12m ago when they had all their outs as well- I hope not.

Was this our most convincing game plan. How does it compare to the final against Sydney. What type of approach do we need going forwards to be a better team and get the most out of our list?
Very much assisted by the fact that we were playing on our cigar-shaped ground - which makes it easy to press from side to side. Hawthorn were able to bring the footy out the other side of the G fairly easily and with great success last week - can't pull that on Kardinia Park.

Very much assisted by the fact that we were playing on our cigar-shaped ground - which makes it easy to press from side to side. Hawthorn were able to bring the footy out the other side of the G fairly easily and with great success last week - can't pull that on Kardinia Park.

That’s a good point you make, yet clearly we didn’t seem to struggle bringing that pressure against Sydney in the finals... although the tackling wasn’t as ferocious it was nearly as relentless. We just need to have that mindset. It’s not so much having to lay record number of tackles. It’s more about defending and applying pressure

I reckon that on any given weekend, there are twelve or so clubs (at least) in the AFL with the *mindset*. There's personnel, there's experience, there's structural setup, there's speed of opposition ball movement...

So when do we play our best football if it isn’t when we approach the game with that sort of intent??? I struggle to see how we can be so indifferent from one week to the next. The Prelim against the Crows is a great example. Our game plan was completely different from the week before and it was obvious we were guarding space and trying to zone when we should have continued to bring The same structure as the week prior.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As long as this "gameplan" is gone...

3o6ozyETCSBsjxPnRS.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Was round 9 2017 Geelong vs Western Bulldogs our best game plan?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back