WCE looking for speedy mids already in the system.

Remove this Banner Ad

what are u 18?

we look sluggish bc we dont have "gun" midfielders

of course the team is one dimensional, we dont have "gun" midfielders

how can u break lines when your midfield cant get or give you the ball without making clangers

just b/c being quick looks good on tv doesnt mean its 100% effective, how often do you see a player run and carry the 4qtrs?

kerr cant take no one on if hes got somone up his ass all day

ur top 3 midfield should have 2 onballers (inside/outside) and a tagger

hodge, black, luke power, hayes, stevens, goodwin, bartel, corey

just some names who are very effective in the midfield without "speed"
mate your an idiot..never said gun midfielders werent needed just that speed offers another dimension to teams no matter what position they play. ..perfect example Wojinski in geelongs 18 every week..shit skills but lightning fast takes them on splits open the middle. yeh hodge black etc are all guns but nobody said they werent simply stating that speed would offer something new to an eagles midfield thats got nothing going for it at the moment. you can list as many players as you want but the fact is the "guns" of the afl are unlikely to be traded. if the eagles cant get them then why say thats the solutions. think of something not totally obvious to everyone else like : we need guns like hodge and black cause thats what were missing. if the "guns" are of limits you have to look at the next tier that could offer us something and all people are saying is that speed is an attribute that these people should have not in isolation but as one of their skills base

I think if J.Corey wanted to leave then Geelong would trade him for Pk 18. They wont do any better but would refuse worse. And those looking to trade for Prismall, it's probably an option, but he's not quick persay, average speed, sensational skills is his selling point.

Btw that team some guy put up for nxt year actually looks very good, would be threatening in a few years time

I've been against getting Corey but the more i think about it i wouldnt mind it if it were for Pick 18 and even a player like Staker.

We were all hoping Cousins last year would have got himself right but that didnt turn out as planned. He would have been 3 years older than Corey and taken the main tag of Kerr so my thoughts in that Corey would be too old seemed irrelevant.

We will probably trade away some players anyway and try snare another 2nd round pick so we can still draft another talented youngster.

We will have a big bodied football smart midfielder who will not only help ease the workload of Kerr but bring valuable knowledge about Geelong, their structures and more importantly help the development of Masten, Ebert, Rich..

Im aboard the get Corey train..but didnt he sign a few months ago?

I've been against getting Corey but the more i think about it i wouldnt mind it if it were for Pick 18 and even a player like Staker.

We were all hoping Cousins last year would have got himself right but that didnt turn out as planned. He would have been 3 years older than Corey and taken the main tag of Kerr so my thoughts in that Corey would be too old seemed irrelevant.

We will probably trade away some players anyway and try snare another 2nd round pick so we can still draft another talented youngster.

We will have a big bodied football smart midfielder who will not only help ease the workload of Kerr but bring valuable knowledge about Geelong, their structures and more importantly help the development of Masten, Ebert, Rich..

Im aboard the get Corey train..but didnt he sign a few months ago?

Ah i liked reading this post. Finally someone that understands where im coming from. I also think if the club can snare him kerr will stay (if he was planning on leaving). :thumbsu:

get that judd guy, he runs pretty fast.

or i've heard some drug addict is coming back to the AFL...is he any good?

get that judd guy, he runs pretty fast.

or i've heard some drug addict is coming back to the AFL...is he any good?

Jeff Farmer still plays for Fremantle. Oh you go girlfriend.

That has to get me a card surely

Joel corey WILL NOT be leaving Geelong next year. The Eagles should go for Brent Prismall, he isn't happy playing at Geelong, because he knows that in any other side he would be playing. Geelong should sell James Kelly and put Prismall in, but they are too dumb. If the Eagles pick up Prismall, they will have done the best trade in years. He will give toughness in the guts and a nice injection of Skill. What would you trade that the Cats could take?:confused:

Joel corey WILL NOT be leaving Geelong next year. The Eagles should go for Brent Prismall, he isn't happy playing at Geelong, because he knows that in any other side he would be playing. Geelong should sell James Kelly and put Prismall in, but they are too dumb. If the Eagles pick up Prismall, they will have done the best trade in years. He will give toughness in the guts and a nice injection of Skill. What would you trade that the Cats could take?:confused:

I'v been saying this for weeks:thumbsu:

Second round pick would be about the mark, ready made player but hasn't had a chance to make his mark.

Straight swap for Staker would be brilliant. Player + a low third round pick would be what the Eagles would like to pay IMO.

If we trade for 1 person I hope its Prismall, IMO this kid is Joel Selwood mark 2.
Imagine a midfield like this Next year
FB: Waters, Glass, Davis
HB: Embley, McKenzie, A.Selwood
C: Hurn, Masten, Rich
HF: Ebert, Kennedy, MacNamara
FF: LeCras, Brown, Wirra
RR: Cox, Kerr, Prismall

Int: Priddis, Houlihan, Butler, Lynch.
All Bolded players can and Have Played as Midfielders.:thumbsu:

wow clearly u assume anyone with a tank can be a midfield

what part of gun midfield dont u understand?

compare your bold list of mids and mine

why be naive and name the whole wce players who "can" and "have" played as mids. not in the same category as "gun midfield"

mate your an idiot..never said gun midfielders werent needed just that speed offers another dimension to teams no matter what position they play. ..perfect example Wojinski in geelongs 18 every week..shit skills but lightning fast takes them on splits open the middle. yeh hodge black etc are all guns but nobody said they werent simply stating that speed would offer something new to an eagles midfield thats got nothing going for it at the moment. you can list as many players as you want but the fact is the "guns" of the afl are unlikely to be traded. if the eagles cant get them then why say thats the solutions. think of something not totally obvious to everyone else like : we need guns like hodge and black cause thats what were missing. if the "guns" are of limits you have to look at the next tier that could offer us something and all people are saying is that speed is an attribute that these people should have not in isolation but as one of their skills base

who the fk are u calling an idiot.

copy and paste where i stated we should draft those "guns" mid i listed?

my mere point is getting the ball + skills > speed

you think just bc u got speed you can take on the opposition the four qtrs? id like some names who can do it tool. wojinski only breaks lines with success like 4 times a game? compare that with his possessions to what joel corey or ablett did during the game without "speed". absolute pisser u are.

why i listed those guns mids? ITS BC THEY ARE EFFECTIVE IN THE MIDFIELD WITHOUT SPEED. you must be on some sh!t to intepret differently.

its not a solution, its common sense. DRAFT THE BEST MID AVAILABLE.
RICH > ANY OF YOUR SO CALLED SPEEDY MID THATS DRAFTABLE TO WCE.

who the fk are u calling an idiot.

copy and paste where i stated we should draft those "guns" mid i listed?

my mere point is getting the ball + skills > speed

you think just bc u got speed you can take on the opposition the four qtrs? id like some names who can do it tool. wojinski only breaks lines with success like 4 times a game? compare that with his possessions to what joel corey or ablett did during the game without "speed". absolute pisser u are.

why i listed those guns mids? ITS BC THEY ARE EFFECTIVE IN THE MIDFIELD WITHOUT SPEED. you must be on some sh!t to intepret differently.

its not a solution, its common sense. DRAFT THE BEST MID AVAILABLE.
RICH > ANY OF YOUR SO CALLED SPEEDY MID THATS DRAFTABLE TO WCE.
never said we shouldnt draft the best available your just making crap up. i said speed offers a new dimension never said you only get people with speed and no actual talent. you said we lack gun midfielders. what im saying is you list these gun midfielders that dont have speed but what stops us trying to uncover a potential gun with speed ala judd ablett. this thread is about getting mids already in the system. so i simply stated that when we look at players with potential currently running around, speed is something i think they should have ( along with skills obviously). i never said speed alone so read my post before trying to say im wrong. this post was never about the draft. of course you would draft rich becasue he has the potential to be a gun. but when your are trying to find these "guns" already in the system that you suggest we need ( no arguments there) it doesnt hurt for them to posess speed. its an opinion mate get over it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thought i might give this a bump due to Corey and Wells re-signing. Looks like Ray and Prismall are the only ones left for us to go hard at.

Lovett and JON maybe... both are big risks in my opinion.

Anyone else?

JON still has a couple more years of development to become a decent AFL player. Jury still out with him, worth the risk? Dont know if this is BS but i read somewhere (probably bigfooty) that WC rated JON the most talented player in his draft year.

Lovett & Ray would both add some speed to our team. I would prefer us to get Ray but i wouldnt be against getting Lovett.

Date Posted: 16:06:55 11/29/05 Tue
Author: Colin Wisbey
Author Host/IP: c211-28-121-197.eburwd3.vic.optusnet.com.au / 211.28.121.197
Subject: Profile: Oakley- Nicholls

Jarrad Oakley-Nicholls (East Perth)

188/75 bottom-age right foot (has other foot if necessary) outsidish mid / flanker

*STYLE LIKE: Rob Murphy

*MY RANKING (not meant to reflect appropriate draft pick to use): 5

*PROBABILITY OF AFL CAREER: Definite. Ready year 2.

- Within an AFL team list, could prove capable of SUSTAINING a ranking of 5-10.

*HURT FACTORS (Offensive/Defensive/Negative): M-H / M / L

*TRADEMARK:

- Casually pluck the ball out of the air or cleanly off the turf, then an even more effortless (no, make that "cocky") sell-the-dummy, then skim the turf for 30m then accurate fluent kick to a well spotted target.

*SUMMARY ASSESSMENT, RECOMMENDATION:

- Oakley-Nicholls is not a top 5 pick, or even top 10, in a typical year's draft. This year is as light on for obvious top 10 quality as 2000 but at least 2000 had Riewoldt, Didak and Kos who looked to be the clear top 3. I can't see Oakley-Nicholls going top 5 even this year but I rank him at 5 on the basis that:-

1. He has indicated an X-factor upside comparable with Ryder, Varcoe, etc but has the advantage that we have seen O-N's form this year offer greater concrete evidence. Any concerns re any disappointment with O-N not having been more consistent (eg not having played many genuine 4-quarter games) can also be levelled at those others with supposed X-factor upside who follow him in my rankings.

2. He has the tricks to turn a game in one quarter. He is genuinely classy. Clean, silky with a bit of magic.

3. No one after him in my rankings would appear to represent a better all-round package of attributes. Jarrad is a great height for a wing/flank, among other possibilities down the track. He also appears to have a reach advantage (unconfirmed). Reliable kick with high hurt factor. Lightning quick. Can take a huge grab. Excellent evasion. Happy to get his own ball. "Never" flustered. Plays in a manner that suggests he will thrive on AFL centre stage once he has settled in.

4. Only about 3 of the next 15 players in my rankings are similarly reliable all round kicks and probably none of those 3 are quite as good.

5. Despite his speed and silkiness, he wins much more than his share of his own ball - in one-in-one physical tussle contests or inside traffic etc. He is no downhill-skier or stranger to hardball gets or to displays of determination/desperation.

- From rural WA but, on-field, always looks self-assured and never seems flustered. One of those players, regardless of age, who just "moves" like an AFL player of class. I first liked him from the '04 U16 Champs. Back then, he was trying to manage problems with his left knee but he really looked "AFL".

If you had pick 5 and your next pick was beyond about pick 10, I think O-N is worth pick 5 thaer than taking the risk of him slipping through, even though that is shorter than his market value. I'm very confident of his AFL future.

*DISPOSAL:
(see above)

- U18 Champs stats were not representative of his kicking's usual accuracy or hurt factor. I would describe him as an "almost routinely excellent" kick - accuracy, hurt, power. Even on the run (as he often is). Economical kicking style.

- Can kick a big goal but is not in the "reliable around goals" class.

- His handballing is good but, in relative terms, possibly not quite as reliable as his kicking.

- Mix of kicks to feeds varies a lot, game by game.

*DECISION-MAKING, SMARTS:
(see above)

- Generally a good decision-maker. Generally displays poise and looks for options, even on the run.

- Good vision but not always good awareness.

- Uses his body well.

- His average stats are quite healthy and he has had some big games. However it bothers me, just a little, that he doesn't ROUTINELY get more of the pill. He gets his share when at the play but I suspect he needs coaching in where and when to run in order to be in the action more often. Providing a kid is coachable (can listen, understand and implement) I never get overly concerned about kids who tend to be in the wrong places around the ground at 17-18yo. Oakley-Nicholls seems to read the play well enough, especially when he finds himself fairly handy to it. Most kids should be able to improve their positioning if they get the appropriate "match scenario simulation and decision-making dry runs" at their AFL club.

- Importantly, he needs to demand the ball much more often and with more purpose. With his leg-speed he should much more often be running past to offer himself as a potential 80-90m option. Ditto for being more verbally demanding when in good position to have the ball delivered to him.

- Outstanding evasion. Routinely effective, excellent sidestep on the run.

*HANDS:
(see above)

- Routinely clean - ground or waist, on the run or static, under pressure or not.

*OVERHEAD MARKING:

- Very capable and reliable overhead, regardless of pressure. Usually clean hands, usually good judgement, holds his ground. Wins much more than his share of 50/50 contests. I saw him drop a sitter in one WAFL game but that's the only terrible result I can recall.

- He can take the big grab over the back of the pack but he arguably takes more from in front or mid-pack.

*ATHLETICISM:
(see above)

- Terrific athletic package.

- Lightning quick. He would be as quick as anyone in this draft. That's how he looks on-field. His DC times reflect that. 5m time among the top 3% ever and the further they go (over a sprint distance) the more elite his times (top 1% of all times over 20m).

- Offensive agility is excellent. Recovery agility disappointing at times.

- I'm still not sure what to make of Jarrad's leap. There are times when he takes some big grabs yet at other times he seems to struggle for leap. I just haven't been able to identify a pattern. Perhaps in certain body on body situations he waits a bit long to jump and finds the opponent(s) has already taken his vertical pathway, or something like that (?), or the cause may even just be injury at the time.

- Very skinny but looks to have a frame that will fill out OK. His game is such that it is not vital to add more than about 7kg. (Would be desirable though).

- Endurance query at the moment. Died in the bum late in various games this year and somewhat below average beep would either support this (no cause for long-term concern) or suggest he doesn't push himself out fully at this stage..

*INTENSITY, ETHIC:
(see above)

- Intensity is generally good except that he often seems unaccountable to his own opponent.. That bothers me in itself but O-N is no less accountable than many/most other similar-role contenders for 1st or 2nd (or even 3rd) round picks this year.

- For his "flashy" type, his "at the scene" intensity is surprisingly quite consistently good - Attack on ball, attack on man, ratio of 50/50 contests won, genuine desperation (including smothers etc).

- Tackling effectiveness needs improvement.

*CONSISTENCY:

- Not that consistent statistically. He had at least one 30+ disposals game this year and a couple high 20s but he is usually around the low-mid teens.

- I would say his effort level is pretty consistent. He is though, one of those players who, when hot, can be very hot. He can have a quiet quarter but then have (say) 15 minutes where he is on-fire.

*AFL VERSATILITY:
(see above)

- Outside mid ("wing") suits ideally but there are other roles at AFL where he could inflict serious damage.

- If he can adopt a more accountable mentality, he could be dynamite running off/through half-back. (That is the role I would like ti see him strat out in).

- He also shows some talent inside traffic so perhaps an onball role down the track (but he is a long way off that, endurance-wise).

- There is probably no reason why he couldn't handle AFL HFF or FP. However, I prefer him in a role in which he can see the play unfold essentially in his flight path and exploit his superior pace, especially direct, so that his main value is as a regularly 80-90m play-breaker.

*CSI (COMPARATIVE SCOPE for IMPROVEMENT):

- Probably normal.

*QUERY:

- Endurance.

*SOME STATS:

- '05 WAFL Colts:
Avg approx 17disposals (incl 3 marks) in his 15 Colts games. Also played 2 Seniors games.

- Stats summary '05 U18 Champs:
Averaged 7 disposals and 2.3 marks in his 3 games. (Best TD 12).
Kicks per 20 disp: 15.
Kicks long vs short: 3-9 (3 long per 10 kicks).
Ineffective kicks: 4/17 (2.4 per 10 kicks), incl 2 clangers (1.2 per 10 kicks).
Ineffective handballs: 3/5 (6.0 per 10 handballs), incl 1 clangers (2.0 per 10 handballs).
Ineffective disposals: 7/22 (6.4 per 20 disp), incl 3 clangers (2.7 per 20 disp).
HandBall Receives: 2/22 (2 per 20 disp).
Hardball gets: 2/22 (2 per 20 disp).
S.P. clearances: 2/22 (2 per 20 disp), incl 0 BU (0 per 20 disp), incl 2 CBC (2 per 20 disp).
Tackles: 4 (Avg 1.3 per game).
Marks: 7 (6 per 20 disp), incl 2 contested (2.9 per 10 marks).

*OTHER STUFF:

- Added to '05 U18 trial squad. DOB orig listed as 2/9/88 but should be 9/2/88.

*more stuff- JON is shit

J-ON is also a huge WC fan, he is obviously struggling with development in the tigers reserves team in the VFL - when I have seen him in a couple of games at AFL level I have been impressed.

Look at how much Josh Kennedy improved in just 1 preseason with the club

J-ON is also a huge WC fan, he is obviously struggling with development in the tigers reserves team in the VFL - when I have seen him in a couple of games at AFL level I have been impressed.

Look at how much Josh Kennedy improved in just 1 preseason with the club

Yes but LTAM Kennedy was supposed to improve that much as he is a KPP. It was only his third season of AFL. JON is a mid and has been in the system longer (all be it not by much) who should really be peaking or close to it right about now.

Remove this Banner Ad

WCE looking for speedy mids already in the system.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back