Mega Thread We can't lose Tom

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
These reports today have a lot more cred than anything else in recent months.

Good news that GWS felt the need to up their anti.. :thumbsu:

Fantastic!
Now all we need to do is secure a finals berth and i have no doubt TS will commit to us......Ive got half a chub now.
however if we play insipid and lose to Port twice,richmond and co he will most likely leave as they will be mininmal progress on last season.Lets win 5 of our last 8 games and hes ours...

hes been offered 1million a season because everyone else has knocked them back, fancy offering a kid with 25 games under is belt that amount of coin, smells of desperation to me. Pendlebury and Thomas are worth 1 million a season.

hes been offered 1million a season because everyone else has knocked them back, fancy offering a kid with 25 games under is belt that amount of coin, smells of desperation to me. Pendlebury and Thomas are worth 1 million a season.

Spot on :) Why would GWS go after a bunch of young kids when they will get heas in the draft? I think they got knocked back by a few established players as well.

Actually rather interesting given he actually names his sources and quotes those in the know, certainly gives the article more credibility than the majority of others.

Probably the best/most positive I've read in ages, it actually tell us that Tom hasn't signed anything or even made a decision. So Ox is 98% full of shit. And Ralphy or whoever it was the other day is 99.5% full of shit, just saying.

His management & GWS refuse to discuss amounts, but his management company confirmed they had offers from BOTH parties (GWS & MFC) & that they have not talked to Tom about it yet, but it they would make sure he knew what the offer was before signing either, which is reasonable.

The actual length & size of the contract is not confirmed or even quoted from a source, it's just stated as "believed to be" amounts, which is their opinions & means as much as you want to believe it means.

So Scully is looking at around a 400K price difference over the next four years at GWS. What do you think Scullys second contract would look like at GWS? certainly that figure couldnt be sustained for 10 years along with the myriad of high end draft picks that will be entering their prime i would suggest over the course of 10 years melbourne could sustain 600-700K (retirements of green and davey will help) and GWS couldnt offer more than 500K for tom going past his first contract. His career earnings should level out if he stays by the end of his career. added to that he will become one of the all time melbourne fav's as we all know what his sacrifice would be and that will have it rewards for a long time to come. Also if he stays he will still have his soul intact.

I always thought obscene numbers like 1 million per for Scully, 700k for Ward were just leaked by GWS to place inflationary pressures on some of the poorer Victorian clubs. Seems like something Sheedy would love to do.

On the other hand, as the franchise calibre guys re-sign elsewhere they will be forced to overpay someone else.

Do any of you tax saavy Demons know what the tax liability for 1 million is as opposed to 600k? I'm sure there will be other elements to the deal, but surely after tax is factored in the difference will be less than 400k.

I suppose the positive out of last nights news is that Scully hasn't signed at GWS.

One of my best mates is related to Greame Allan, and my mate has been speaking to one of his cousins who lives up in Sydney. Word is Scully doesn't want to go but the $1mill is to good to refuse. BUT it is far from a done deal. GWS feel if Melbourne can offer 750K a season he will stay.

rofl the GWS are bunch of twits....

Why would you offer 1 million bucks for 5 years for a player that hasn't even played 30 matches... LOLz...

As much as we want Tommy to stay, He would be absolutely stupid not to take this offer

I always thought obscene numbers like 1 million per for Scully, 700k for Ward were just leaked by GWS to place inflationary pressures on some of the poorer Victorian clubs. Seems like something Sheedy would love to do.

Do any of you tax saavy Demons know what the tax liability for 1 million is as opposed to 600k? I'm sure there will be other elements to the deal, but surely after tax is factored in the difference will be less than 400k.
No class from Sheedy.

The highest threshold is 180 which is 54,450 in tax. From then on it's 45 cents in the dollar.

600k = 250k tax
1mil = 420k tax*

*Estimated sums.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks for that Crimson. So right off the bat (in approximate terms), the difference is more $230,000 than $400,000? Obviously still a significant amount of money (particularly when you multiply it by 5), and I'm sure any GWS deal would come with a variety of guaranteed outside work.

Trying to tell myself that I don't care whether he goes or not but in reality it would crush me. With those laser handballs and that 10 step burst out of packs that few players have, he just has that 'it' factor that separates very good players from the elite.

No class from Sheedy.

The highest threshold is 180 which is 54,450 in tax. From then on it's 45 cents in the dollar.

600k = 250k tax
1mil = 420k tax*

*Estimated sums.

WTF!! are you shittin me?? You have to pay 420k in tax if you earn 1 mil!!!! Thats almost half what you earn!!! Omfg thats absolute legalised thievary.

It's going to be mighty interesting to see how he performs against Port. I know if it were me, and believe me I'm as soft as they come, the idea of making such a decision would be soul crushing

I think the news of the offer actually gives Scully some credibility in all this. He stated time and time again that no offer had been put to him by GWS and, with the news of a formal offer only this week, it shows him to be telling the truth. His manager is, and I admit this begrudgingly, just doing his job in trying to get the best offer for his client and as far as I can tell he has been up front and honest with the club. He didn't have to tell anyone of the offer but he did and this backed up his word that the club would be the first to know about it.

I think our offer of 600k is (if it's true) an excellent offer and I'm happy with it as long as it means we can still re-sign other key players. If Scully leaves all that money and the club behind for a few extra quid up north in front of 12,000 clueless fans then so be it. You can't say the club didn't do it's best to keep him.

I think the news of the offer actually gives Scully some credibility in all this. He stated time and time again that no offer had been put to him by GWS and, with the news of a formal offer only this week, it shows him to be telling the truth. His manager is, and I admit this begrudgingly, just doing his job in trying to get the best offer for his client and as far as I can tell he has been up front and honest with the club. He didn't have to tell anyone of the offer but he did and this backed up his word that the club would be the first to know about it.

I think our offer of 600k is (if it's true) an excellent offer and I'm happy with it as long as it means we can still re-sign other key players. If Scully leaves all that money and the club behind for a few extra quid up north in front of 12,000 clueless fans then so be it. You can't say the club didn't do it's best to keep him.

Spot on.

I'm at peace with the whole situation now. Whatever he decides to do I think Melbourne have done everything they can to keep him and not ruin the club in the process. We've handled this very well by refusing to comment (for the most part) throughout the process, and if Tom goes then so be it.

Good call.

As amazing as Scully is, the FD isn't going to gut the entire club just to keep one player. I think given the enormity of the situation, the club is going to assess all viable options and put forward an offer that is balanced and fair for all parties concerned. That's what they're employed to do

I agree with all of this. It's nice to have things out in the open now. Anyone have any idea what Trengove signed for? A large discrepancy causing friction between the two could be a potential concern.

WTF!! are you shittin me?? You have to pay 420k in tax if you earn 1 mil!!!! Thats almost half what you earn!!! Omfg thats absolute legalised thievary.
Not really, you earn more cash you should contribute more to the tax office. You know the money gets spent on the people right? Better schools, roads ext

No class from Sheedy.

600k = 250k tax
1mil = 420k tax*

*Estimated sums.
You have to add a medicare levy and flood levy ontop of that.
Also from next financial year the tax rates get a bit of an overhaul, tax free threshold moves from $6,000 to about $18,500.

So per year on the assumption that he gets paid an equal amount each year of his contract would look like this:
Melb- $356,450
GWS- $576,450

That is a fair difference, however either way you look at it $356,450 for a 20 yera old kid is massive. Surely with that sort of contract he could set himself up for life, unless he is Brendan Fevola.

That being said though, how big of a tax return are you looking at?

I would think that an AFL player would have minimal deductions. They wouldn't be paying travel expenses or staff uniforms. However an accountant would tell them to make substantial donations so that they can claim that back on tax.
However any money that their cash makes whilst in the bank also willl be added ontop of their wages and taxed at 45%, so there is a chance he could end up owing money at tax time. Most individuals who earn massive amounts of cash have to pay back come tax time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back