Mega Thread We can't lose Tom

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
ure living in a fantasy land if you think rivers doesnt deserve more than scully at this point in time, rivers is nearing on 10 years of service with the footy club and scully has played a handful of games, there are literallly over 10 players who could make a very strong case for a pay rise if we go all out for scully

Nick, your point about Rivers getting paid more than Scully at this point is correct. In a fair and just world that is. However, in this current climate, it is not a fair and just world.

Let me ask you this question. Of Rivers and Scully, who will be more important to the club over the next 10 years? Rivers, a rock solid KPD who is playing at his potential and has perhaps 3/4 years more service? Or Scully, who has only started his career but could be that once in a generation player? Safe and dependable Rivers or the elite potential of Scully?

As much as I like safe and dependable, it don't win you premierships.

jamar, rivers, frawley, moloney, sylvia, trengove,

they deserve to atleast be around the same figure as scully at this stage, in 2 years time, no doubt scully will be worth that sort of money but i just dont think he justifies it now, his market value is way over inflated due to gws, if they were not around there is no way ure carlton,collingwood,essendon or anyone for that matter would pay him anywere near the money that gws is offering
I agree with the bolded names. As for justification, the market is willing on what has been suggested that he is worth much more than we can pay (And yes that exceeds his value) but we have to try to meet the market with an inflated offer. I agree he should not become out highest paid player, however external interest requires he is paid above the value of a third year player.

Nick, your point about Rivers getting paid more than Scully at this point is correct. In a fair and just world that is. However, in this current climate, it is not a fair and just world.

Let me ask you this question. Of Rivers and Scully, who will be more important to the club over the next 10 years? Rivers, a rock solid KPD who is playing at his potential and has perhaps 3/4 years more service? Or Scully, who has only started his career but could be that once in a generation player? Safe and dependable Rivers or the elite potential of Scully?

As much as I like safe and dependable, it don't win you premierships.

i agree with you 95% but shouldnt that mean that all draftess are paid the most money because they have the longer careers plus more upside, an lets face it every kid we draft is a 'future' star

second of all rivers has earned that after years of hard work and injury problems etc, where as all scully has done is shown he 'could' be an elite player in yrs to come

And as for Crimson Azure
yes and no, if we werent being held over a barrel by gws there is no way we would even consider paying him that sort of money, so we really have to find the middle ground

i agree with you 95% but shouldnt that mean that all draftess are paid the most money because they have the longer careers plus more upside, an lets face it every kid we draft is a 'future' star

second of all rivers has earned that after years of hard work and injury problems etc, where as all scully has done is shown he 'could' be an elite player in yrs to come

Potential is a dirty word, isn't it.

But potential is why Tom will be close to our highest paid player next year. Not on current out-put. We know what we will get from Riv, Jamar, Sylvia, Moloney, etc. They are all good AFL players. What the club and the football public sees in Tom excites them. He is good now, and the natural rate of progression suggests he will reach be even better in the years to come.

I think we must pay slightly over the odds to keep TS. And the FD would have known that this day was coming, and would be well prepared for it from a salary cap perspective.

yeah but thats why trenners is being talked about as the next captain and sculls aint

i also think that players would have a ballpark idea of were scullys contract is at

I don't think many are advocating Scully to be captain - and Trengove to me displays far more leadership qualities - but the fact is Scully is / will be our best footballer. The other players would be able to recognise this and would understand he will one day be our highest paid player

Better than having Cam Bruce as our highest paid - I didn't see too many other players defecting when he was

jamar, rivers, frawley, moloney, sylvia, trengove,

they deserve to atleast be around the same figure as scully at this stage, in 2 years time, no doubt scully will be worth that sort of money but i just dont think he justifies it now, his market value is way over inflated due to gws, if they were not around there is no way ure carlton,collingwood,essendon or anyone for that matter would pay him anywere near the money that gws is offering

I agree that we will have to pay over the odds to retain Scully now. But think of it this way. This is our 1 shot to keep him. If he leaves, we can't get him back.

He is vital to our success. Sure, 1 player generally doesn't make a team and we have loads and loads of young talent, but he'll be the one dragging the team over the line in years to come a la Judd.

Scully has achieved more output wise in his 1st 2 seasons than any of those other players you mentioned IMO

I don't think many are advocating Scully to be captain - and Trengove to me displays far more leadership qualities - but the fact is Scully is / will be our best footballer. The other players would be able to recognise this and would understand he will one day be our highest paid player

Better than having Cam Bruce as our highest paid - I didn't see too many other players defecting when he was

I agree that we will have to pay over the odds to retain Scully now. But think of it this way. This is our 1 shot to keep him. If he leaves, we can't get him back.

He is vital to our success. Sure, 1 player generally doesn't make a team and we have loads and loads of young talent, but he'll be the one dragging the team over the line in years to come a la Judd.

Scully has achieved more output wise in his 1st 2 seasons than any of those other players you mentioned IMO

well for mine trengoves been better in his first two years
and sure he has but frawley is an AA FB and at age 22, could well be more valuable than scully ... plenty of quality onballers not many AA full backs

jamar is an AA ruckman and had he stayed fit moloney could have been an outside chance for AA

im not arguing with how good he could/might/will be, i just dont think the clun should be help to ransom by anyone let alone a <30 gamer .. the upside in watts is huge, do we pay him 700k a year as well, what about gysberts shit wait till his frame fills out..imagine jurrah in 3 years?? i duno i just dont like the idea of basing our contracts on potential... but do i want to keep scully ... of course

well for mine trengoves been better in his first two years
and sure he has but frawley is an AA FB and at age 22, could well be more valuable than scully ... plenty of quality onballers not many AA full backs

jamar is an AA ruckman and had he stayed fit moloney could have been an outside chance for AA

im not arguing with how good he could/might/will be, i just dont think the clun should be help to ransom by anyone let alone a <30 gamer .. the upside in watts is huge, do we pay him 700k a year as well, what about gysberts shit wait till his frame fills out..imagine jurrah in 3 years?? i duno i just dont like the idea of basing our contracts on potential... but do i want to keep scully ... of course

I don't like it much either if that's what happens, but sometimes its the way it has to be

Tom is more than potential, he is no doubt, undeniably the real deal

The reality is, we don't know what motivates Scully, it may not be money

He legitimately may have wanted to worry about football this year and negotiate at the end of the year

If he signs a modest 2 - 3 year contract at the end of the year, a lot of people are going to feel very silly

I don't like it much either if that's what happens, but sometimes its the way it has to be

Tom is more than potential, he is no doubt, undeniably the real deal

The reality is, we don't know what motivates Scully, it may not be money

He legitimately may have wanted to worry about football this year and negotiate at the end of the year

If he signs a modest 2 - 3 year contract at the end of the year, a lot of people are going to feel very silly

I really hope this is the case, will be beautiful.

Why the F*** do people like you have to always attack people personally? We are talking about football and you have to rip out a comment like that.
You took that as a personal attack? Been on BF long? ;) No keyboard warrior or going out of my way to try hurt anyone's feelings here. I thought my comment was pretty valid given your comment about "not wanting to be positive about Scully because then you'd be more pissed off about it if he leaves". Sorry if my generalisation in the comment upset you. Shame you let your emotion wash the rest of what I posted in the comment away & you condensed your reply back to a sentence.

If we let Scully go and he becomes this sort of player (a guy talked about as the best in the league, like a Judd, Ablett, Swan, etc), what are the people saying we shouldn't pay him more than X going to say in hindsight?

We can't match GWS for cash, but I think for an exceptional talent we can give him a bit more than he really deserves at this point in time, the contract guys will figure creative ways around it & they aren't going to go totally stupid & cost us keeping a bunch of other players just to keep Tom.

Fact or life, with or without Scully, in 3 to 5 years if not sooner we will have salary dramas the way Geelong did & Collingwood are probably about to face this year & next

yeah but thats why trenners is being talked about as the next captain and sculls aint

i also think that players would have a ballpark idea of were scullys contract is at

Easy there Nick, you're not allowed to say that you think Trengove is ahead of Scully at this stage and is a better leader...lol

I agree he is ahead of Scully at this stage, I think Scully is spoke about more the Trenners coz of this GWS BS. Scully is a way better running but Trenners has better disposal and is a goal kicker.

You and I think the same lol

Easy there Nick, you're not allowed to say that you think Trengove is ahead of Scully at this stage and is a better leader...lol

I agree he is ahead of Scully at this stage, I think Scully is spoke about more the Trenners coz of this GWS BS. Scully is a way better running but Trenners has better disposal and is a goal kicker.

You guys should "go out"....:heart:

Who said he's not allowed to think Trengove is ahead of Scully??

Trengove is an unbelievably good player and has displayed amazing leadership traits

In a race for captain Trengove >>>>> Scully

And Jack shades Tom in many areas of ability (i.e. overhead, goal kicking)

But overall, in my opinion, Scully will be a more important footballer

Who said he's not allowed to think Trengove is ahead of Scully??

Trengove is an unbelievably good player and has displayed amazing leadership traits

In a race for captain Trengove >>>>> Scully

And Jack shades Tom in many areas of ability (i.e. overhead, goal kicking)

But overall, in my opinion, Scully will be a more important footballer

Not on Big Footy but with other Melbourne supporters I have spoken to and said that and they've cracked it at me it's not funny lol

Today I heard on SEN that Sylvia's contract talks are going no where. I can't see him leaving but we need to get it done asap.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His manager said they have only had 'initial' talks and that Col was still focusing on becoming more consistent and a leader of the footy club.

Doesn't sound like he is thinking of a move.

Sign Col ASAP, trade Morton to GWS for Viney, and say **** off to Sydney Tom!

Absolutely ****en sick and tired of this bullshit from Tom and his management.

Sign Col ASAP, trade Morton to GWS for Viney, and say **** off to Sydney Tom!

Absolutely ****en sick and tired of this bullshit from Tom and his management.

I'd say this if they were in contract talks nd nothing could be sorted then they said no more talks till years end..

BUT THEY MADE THIS DECISION LAST YEAR PEOPLE.. give Tom some respect, the club has known where the situation has stood nd don't seem one little bit worried by it so would everyone just relax abit please.. the last thing we wanta do is abuse the boy if he's planing on staying.. I have faith in him

Tony Shaw just said on AFL teams that he's heard Melbourne wants to know now Toms position and in the last 48 hrs have put their final offer to him............. something upto and around 3 million over 4 yrs.. said they want the deal done now..

if this is true, which I'm def not saying Shaw is right but if he is, pretty sure were guna know where Tom will be next yr very shortly.. It's a big big gigantic offer

Tony Shaw just said on AFL teams that he's heard Melbourne wants to know now Toms position and in the last 48 hrs have put their final offer to him............. something upto and around 3 million over 4 yrs.. said they want the deal done now..

if this is true, which I'm def not saying Shaw is right but if he is, pretty sure were guna know where Tom will be next yr very shortly.. It's a big big gigantic offer

If this is true, it's ****ed! He's not worth that much! He is a 2nd year player for **** sake! While we're at it let's re-draft Newton. I'm not worried in the slightest if Tom goes-seriously!

If this is true then you'd expect Tom to stay, that is a massive offer.

His manager said they have only had 'initial' talks and that Col was still focusing on becoming more consistent and a leader of the footy club.

Doesn't sound like he is thinking of a move.

Agreed.

Sounds like he is planning on using the remaining games to prove his worth and secure more cash. I don't think he is on GWS radar.

If this is true, it's ****ed! He's not worth that much! He is a 2nd year player for **** sake! While we're at it let's re-draft Newton. I'm not worried in the slightest if Tom goes-seriously!

I trust the FD to make the right decisions here. We won't throw money we don't have around to keep one player and put re-signing other players in doubt. True, 3 mill over 4 years from OUR perspective is a lot of money but if it means we can keep him PLUS sign others then I'm okay with that.

Plus, if Tom turns that down then we know it's all about money. Mercenary of the highest order... if it happens...

A bloke pushing for money at an early age can keep doing it his whole career with little regard to the clubs need to improve its entire list.

Gaspar was pushing for the big money before he played a game and put us over a barrel after a good year where we had to lose players to keep him. This was a year where we wanted to build on a finals appearance.

Toms clearly looking to maximise his deal with the Dees and just using GWS as leverage and you will be happy to give it to him. Good to see GWS being used the same way Sheedy used Richmond to bump up his pay.

Problem is blokes who do that dont take into consideration the bigger picture of compiling a premiership team.

What I do fear is players coming out of contract next year using the Scully contract (if he signs with us) as leverage. Why GWS gets 2 years to sign uncontracted players is beyond me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back