We got the Jack

Remove this Banner Ad

I am a Collingwood supporter and I am not cocky and I never said you would not get Jack. Having said that, Jack may have some problems living up to your KPP dream. He has not impressed as a key position player since his VFL days, though to be fair he was underdone last year. Good luck with him.

id be suprised if jack didnt kick more goals than dawes next year :)

I am a Collingwood supporter and I am not cocky and I never said you would not get Jack. Having said that, Jack may have some problems living up to your KPP dream. He has not impressed as a key position player since his VFL days, though to be fair he was underdone last year. Good luck with him.

I think us Freo supporters are pretty realistic about Anthony. No one is expecting him to come in and be a match winning superstar.

But KPF's are an area we are a bit thin in, so at worst he will provide a bit of depth and competition for spots. Best case scenario he slots in as a permanent FF and bags a couple of goals a game.

Any way, still stoked

Chris Tarrant + pick 44 FOR pick 43 + pick 55 + John Anthony

That's how the trade should be re-written. It's good to finally get one back off Collingwood.

This...^ ^ ^

Guess we won't be seeing any of those Collingwood posters coming back any time soon eating their words..;)

Couldn't handle the one that turned even then :D

You're a funny guy, Sully...

Mates with Gav, good pick up fellas. has a few issues with his body but has a decent leg and is a great athlete. could be anything, best of luck:thumbsu::)

Just one leg?:cool: Hopefully hes useful with both otherwise they'll just turn him inside and onto his non-preferred and he'll be ineffective.

Better update his Q&A about Carltank and their Visy brownbags.

No, it'll be re-written at Round 16 next year when JA has kicked 43 goals in 16 games and Tarrant has been injured for 8 of their 16 games.

Nice. If JA kicked 30-40 goals it'll mean Pav, Mayne, Ballas and co have had that much less defensive pressure and would've scored more heavily too. If JA can kick more than that then we're seriously laughing. Very happy to have another developed possible key forward in the pack.

Also, I have a feeling Lower will surprise a lot of people. At worst, he should be a much better version of Schammer.

John Anthony, Gavin Roberts and Nick Lower have joined Fremantle. Antoher Victorian and two South Australians. No KPP's
How many do you want? There only 4 KPP's that run out in a team of 22. Let say 20%.

We have recruited 2 out of 8. Sound about right.

Now of the 4 that run out, Pav and McPharlin have 2 positions sewn up.

That leaves Anthony, Faulks, Silvagni with back up from Grover, McPhee and Johnson. The in the wings we have Sibosado, Shepheard, Houghton.

And potentially Morabito as KPP forward if you believe the West.

How many do you want? There only 4 KPP's that run out in a team of 22. Let say 20%.

We have recruited 2 out of 8. Sound about right.

Now of the 4 that run out, Pav and McPharlin have 2 positions sewn up.

That leaves Anthony, Faulks, Silvagni with back up from Grover, McPhee and Johnson. The in the wings we have Sibosado, Shepheard, Houghton.

And potentially Morabito as KPP forward if you believe the West.

As we have said; Pav, Mcpharlin and Grover are nearing the end of their careers. We NEED to have KPP's ready to go once they are gone. Mcphee is not a KPP. Sibo and Houghton are no guarantee to come on and Shepherd i don't think is going to. Faulks is still a fair way off being ready to play on the likes of Jonathon Brown, both Riewoldts, Barry Hall and the other great forwards of the game. Silvagni while being a great recruit may be a tad small to play on the monsters. Look at Brian Lake who i reckon was the best KPP defender in the AFL this year, 195cm's and 100+ kg's.

As someone said KPP's take a bit longer to come on so in 1-4 years when Pav, Mcpharlin and Grover retire they will not be ready if we wait too long to draft them. It's the backline that i am mainly worried about and Johnno will have to go back there to help out from now on. There is talk of the premiership window but if we don't win a premiership before the veterans retire it doesn't mean our window is over but if we have to KPP's ready to step in, it will.

It isn't really fair too put all our hopes on one player but i hape Faulks takes a quantum leap and becomes our number 1 defender.

Back on the Jack.

Just looked at the press conference on the fremantle site. Liked what I saw and listened to. I am the first to be sceptical about what people say versus their real attitude.... But I liked what Jack was saying. I liked his positive, team orientated approach. It showed for mine a lack of too much ego and willingness to fit into the requirements of the team, down back or up front... So he is on board now. Wasn't convinced prior to now, but happy to welcome him with open arms and a willingness to take him on his merits. All the best Jack!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Back on the Jack.

Just looked at the press conference on the fremantle site. Liked what I saw and listened to. I am the first to be sceptical about what people say versus their real attitude.... But I liked what Jack was saying. I liked his positive, team orientated approach. It showed for mine a lack of too much ego and willingness to fit into the requirements of the team, down back or up front... So he is on board now. Wasn't convinced prior to now, but happy to welcome him with open arms and a willingness to take him on his merits. All the best Jack!!

You just beat me to the punch there mate, I just watched it. Very impresssive i must say. Doesn't care at all where he plays as long as he can get a game. He sounded really positive about the future which is great. Like he said i reckon Simon LLoyd was a massive part of why he has come to us after coaching him at Collingwood.

Hope he has a scorching 2011.

You just beat me to the punch there mate, I just watched it. Very impresssive i must say. Doesn't care at all where he plays as long as he can get a game. He sounded really positive about the future which is great. Like he said i reckon Simon LLoyd was a massive part of why he has come to us after coaching him at Collingwood.

Hope he has a scorching 2011.

Seems well spoken and positive about the opportunities.

I like how he handled the reporter who asked about rumours of attitude problems.. i mean ffs

2010 VFL Collingwood Results/Reports http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/vfl news/tabid/8727/default.aspx
24 June: Gavin Brown’s mid season review: John Anthony (6 games, 14.5 av. disposals, 5.5 av. marks, 14 goals): We have played him a little higher in the VFL, not just as FF. The goal is to get him more involved around the forward line and not the goal square. His primary objective is to get fitter. That’s why we are playing him a little bit higher. He needs more conditioning so he can maintain his spot in the senior side.

27 Jun 2010
Box Hill Hawks: 7.15 (57)
Collingwood: 13.18 (96)
Goals; Collingwood: 4 Reed, 3 Fraser, 2 O'Bree Wood, Hunter, Barham, Rounds
Best; Collingwood: Anthony, Thomas, Fraser, Pendlebury, Reed, Buckley

Comment by Luke Beveridge: John Anthony (31d, 12m, 1t) played deep in defence all afternoon and I couldn’t remember his direct opponent touching the footy. His one-on-one game and his disposal were outstanding. Terrific game for his first game in awhile playing in defence.

3 Jul 2010: John Anthony: didn’t play as he played for Collingwood AFL side against West Coast

10 Jul 2010: John Anthony: didn’t play as he played for Collingwood AFL side against Port Adelaide

17 Jul 2010: John Anthony: didn’t play as he was an emergency for Collingwood AFL side.

24 Jul 2010
Collingwood: 11.4 (70)
Casey Scorpions: 14.11 (95)
Best; Collingwood: Medhurst, McCarty, N.Brown, Blight, Buckley, Hunter.
Goals; Collingwood: Rounds 2, Barham 2, McCarthy, Rusling, Wood, J.Thomas, Medhurst, Cook, Hunt.
Comment by Luke Beveridge: John Anthony (4k, 3h, 1m, 6t) played full back on Mathew Bate and kept him goal less.

31 Jul 2010
Port Melbourne: 14.21 (105) 

Collingwood: 11.16 (82) 

Goals; Collingwood: 2 McCarthy, 2 McNamara, Pendlebury, Rounds, Reid, Rusling, O’Bree, Fraser, Barham

Best; Collingwood: Anthony, Cook, McCarthy, Fraser, Medhurst, Buck
Comment by Gavin Brown: John Anthony (9k, 10h, 5m, 2t) played a key defensive role in the backline and had two goals kicked on him but marked the ball really well and had 11 spoils. Very solid and has put his hand up for a senior recall.

7 Aug 2010
Bendigo: 12.12 (84)

Collingwood: 10.16 (76)

Goals; Collingwood: J. Fraser 2, S. Reed 2, T. Francis 2, J. Thomas, J. McCarthy, N. Brown, T. Lockyer
Best; Collingwood: Francis, Wood, Brown, Lockyer, Anthony, Fraser
Comment by Paul Licuria: John Anthony (10k, 5h, 1m, 1t) played in defence on Jason Cloke and restricted him to one goal. Very good in the air and provided a lot of run.

14 Aug 2010
Collingwood: 8.12 (60)
Box Hill: 13.12 (90)
Goals; Collingwood: McCarthy 3, Barham, Buckley, Sinclair, Keeffe, Corrie
Best; Collingwood: Keeffe, Young, Cook, McCarthy, Barham, Anthony
Comment by Gavin Brown: John Anthony (7k, 8h) played at both ends of the ground and was one of our better players. He was tagged as a defender by Beau Muston.

21 Aug 2010: John Anthony: didn’t play as he played for Collingwood AFL side against Adelaide

28 Aug 2010
Collingwood: 8.9 (57)
Northern Bullants: 15.18 (108)
Goals; Collingwood: Medhurst 3, Reed, McNamara, Cook, Corrie, Lockyer
Best; Collingwood: Anthony, Lockyer, Sundberg, Liston, Medhurst
Comment by Gavin Brown: John Anthony (14k, 8h) was our second best. Played FB on Brad Fishe and even though Fisher ended the day with three goals, he only kicked one or two on Jack. I thought Jack was terrific finding his own footy.

Great interview on the website. Sounds committed to Freo and keen to play. I thought it was all positive. He was also surprisingly articulate. I don't expect AFL players to be completely dopey either, but he didn't hesitate or go umm and ahh, he answered the questions directly and intelligently.

Welcome aboard, jack. hope you have a big season

I'd like to see him go well at Fremantle (obviously not against us!), but I am honestly a little disappointed me lost him. He showed a lot of potential in 2009, but he didn't get much chance this year with injury and the emergence of Dawes. I think he'll have a good season in 2011, though.

I don't rate him at all as a forward, but I rate him highly as a potential full back. He reads the ball well in the air, he has nice skills and he is an aggresive competitor. The question marks are on size and decision making. In my mind, he makes it as a full back or not at all. Lacks the ball winning ability to be a full forward, also his selfishness up forward leads to him continually getting in the way of others. He also lacks the mobility to play a non KPP role.

Like most Pies supporters I'm disappointed that we lost him for nothing, but not really fazed that he is gone, as Reid and Brown are more bankable prospects as tall defenders.

yep ive had the feeling all along if he plays at freo it will be at fullback.
Seems like no others agree though.

Just dont think his game as a fullforward suits our gameplan

I still struggle to find a spot for him in our best 22, when you think of the likes of how we fit Johnson and maybe Griffin into the side. There are only so many tall players you can pick.

I see him as a depth player down back who is there for insurance in case of injuries or poor form from Silvagni/McPharlin/Grover/Faulks.

As we have said; Pav, Mcpharlin and Grover are nearing the end of their careers. We NEED to have KPP's ready to go once they are gone. Mcphee is not a KPP. Sibo and Houghton are no guarantee to come on and Shepherd i don't think is going to. Faulks is still a fair way off being ready to play on the likes of Jonathon Brown, both Riewoldts, Barry Hall and the other great forwards of the game. Silvagni while being a great recruit may be a tad small to play on the monsters. Look at Brian Lake who i reckon was the best KPP defender in the AFL this year, 195cm's and 100+ kg's.

As someone said KPP's take a bit longer to come on so in 1-4 years when Pav, Mcpharlin and Grover retire they will not be ready if we wait too long to draft them. It's the backline that i am mainly worried about and Johnno will have to go back there to help out from now on. There is talk of the premiership window but if we don't win a premiership before the veterans retire it doesn't mean our window is over but if we have to KPP's ready to step in, it will.

But what is the point of picking tall players just for the sake of it? There is nothing inspiring about the bios of any of the talls which went after pick 20 (except Darling, and the coaches obviously didn't want his off-field issues). Why use (and waste) picks on players you don't rate and think will be duds?

Our best chance is with Pav/McPharlin/Sandilands. You don't get that opportunity very often with that calibre of player to build around. All resources must be put into maximising our chance in the next 2-3 years, and suffer whatever consequences after that. We still have these aforementioned players like Griffin, Clarke, Sibosado, Houghton, Shepheard, Faulks, Silvagni, Anthony developing. And there is always free agency which will start to come in and we can try to pick off some players like Mitch Clark, Ryder, Gumbleton, Pears, etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

We got the Jack

Remove this Banner Ad

Back