We got the Jack

Remove this Banner Ad

2010 VFL Collingwood Results/Reports http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/vfl news/tabid/8727/default.aspx
24 June: Gavin Brown’s mid season review: John Anthony (6 games, 14.5 av. disposals, 5.5 av. marks, 14 goals): We have played him a little higher in the VFL, not just as FF. The goal is to get him more involved around the forward line and not the goal square. His primary objective is to get fitter. That’s why we are playing him a little bit higher. He needs more conditioning so he can maintain his spot in the senior side.

27 Jun 2010
Box Hill Hawks: 7.15 (57)
Collingwood: 13.18 (96)
Goals; Collingwood: 4 Reed, 3 Fraser, 2 O'Bree Wood, Hunter, Barham, Rounds
Best; Collingwood: Anthony, Thomas, Fraser, Pendlebury, Reed, Buckley

Comment by Luke Beveridge: John Anthony (31d, 12m, 1t) played deep in defence all afternoon and I couldn’t remember his direct opponent touching the footy. His one-on-one game and his disposal were outstanding. Terrific game for his first game in awhile playing in defence.

3 Jul 2010: John Anthony: didn’t play as he played for Collingwood AFL side against West Coast

10 Jul 2010: John Anthony: didn’t play as he played for Collingwood AFL side against Port Adelaide

17 Jul 2010: John Anthony: didn’t play as he was an emergency for Collingwood AFL side.

24 Jul 2010
Collingwood: 11.4 (70)
Casey Scorpions: 14.11 (95)
Best; Collingwood: Medhurst, McCarty, N.Brown, Blight, Buckley, Hunter.
Goals; Collingwood: Rounds 2, Barham 2, McCarthy, Rusling, Wood, J.Thomas, Medhurst, Cook, Hunt.
Comment by Luke Beveridge: John Anthony (4k, 3h, 1m, 6t) played full back on Mathew Bate and kept him goal less.

31 Jul 2010
Port Melbourne: 14.21 (105) 

Collingwood: 11.16 (82) 

Goals; Collingwood: 2 McCarthy, 2 McNamara, Pendlebury, Rounds, Reid, Rusling, O’Bree, Fraser, Barham

Best; Collingwood: Anthony, Cook, McCarthy, Fraser, Medhurst, Buck
Comment by Gavin Brown: John Anthony (9k, 10h, 5m, 2t) played a key defensive role in the backline and had two goals kicked on him but marked the ball really well and had 11 spoils. Very solid and has put his hand up for a senior recall.

7 Aug 2010
Bendigo: 12.12 (84)

Collingwood: 10.16 (76)

Goals; Collingwood: J. Fraser 2, S. Reed 2, T. Francis 2, J. Thomas, J. McCarthy, N. Brown, T. Lockyer
Best; Collingwood: Francis, Wood, Brown, Lockyer, Anthony, Fraser
Comment by Paul Licuria: John Anthony (10k, 5h, 1m, 1t) played in defence on Jason Cloke and restricted him to one goal. Very good in the air and provided a lot of run.

14 Aug 2010
Collingwood: 8.12 (60)
Box Hill: 13.12 (90)
Goals; Collingwood: McCarthy 3, Barham, Buckley, Sinclair, Keeffe, Corrie
Best; Collingwood: Keeffe, Young, Cook, McCarthy, Barham, Anthony
Comment by Gavin Brown: John Anthony (7k, 8h) played at both ends of the ground and was one of our better players. He was tagged as a defender by Beau Muston.

21 Aug 2010: John Anthony: didn’t play as he played for Collingwood AFL side against Adelaide

28 Aug 2010
Collingwood: 8.9 (57)
Northern Bullants: 15.18 (108)
Goals; Collingwood: Medhurst 3, Reed, McNamara, Cook, Corrie, Lockyer
Best; Collingwood: Anthony, Lockyer, Sundberg, Liston, Medhurst
Comment by Gavin Brown: John Anthony (14k, 8h) was our second best. Played FB on Brad Fishe and even though Fisher ended the day with three goals, he only kicked one or two on Jack. I thought Jack was terrific finding his own footy.

Good find superkoops.
Anthony has said all the right things & now , being injury free, I look forward to his addition to our side.
Whether he plays down back or up front I reckon we got him for a steal.
I reckon he is not going to be a depth player & has no intentions of being one.
Just like most on our list .
Spots are definitely going to be hard to get this year & bloody can't wait for the season proper...especially as we can then forget this cricket caper that somehow gets in the way of the AFL season !!!

I think JA is the perfect foil for Pav. He may well be another good full back, but we don't have a decent lead up forward to work in tandem with Pav yet. Mayne may be able to work into that position but certainly hasn't so far, though he has shown glimpses, and Johnson is more of a CHF or flanker in his style of play. Anthony playing out of the square and reading the play well, leadng to space is perfect. Sandi lurks around the goals and Pav does whatever he wants.

Remember, JA is a sharp shooter. Give him the ball half a dozen times inside the forward 50 in a game and you are good for 3 or 4 goals. WHy put that skill, which is rare, at the other end of the ground?

hey is maybe going to be the opposite of CT in our forward line. From discussions with Colonwood supporters, he hs a great kick but can have quitet days when matched up on well. Where CT could be matched up on well, still win the ball, but not convert.

Maybe he needs a jelly rubber on his hip and attach it to either Balla, Son Son or the like to mop up after his contest, and stir sh!t in the oposition if he takes it.

Utility, Utility...

He'll be in the side. Anyone that can play both ends like he can is useful. Most likely he'll be our substitute if not in the 22.

Any of our tall defenders goes down, he can come in.

If we need to shake things up in the forward line, he can come in there or replace McPharlin/Silvagni down back so they can go forward.

Utility, Utility...

He'll be in the side. Anyone that can play both ends like he can is useful. Most likely he'll be our substitute if not in the 22.

Any of our tall defenders goes down, he can come in.

If we need to shake things up in the forward line, he can come in there or replace McPharlin/Silvagni down back so they can go forward.

Unlike Collingwood, if JA is being well held up forward and can't get into the game we can switch him to defence (swapping with Silvagni or McPharlin if we're desperate) without disrupting our structures.

IMO he'll do most of his good work in the forward 50 and hopefully kick around 30 goals. Anything extra would be a major bonus.

I still struggle to find a spot for him in our best 22, when you think of the likes of how we fit Johnson and maybe Griffin into the side. There are only so many tall players you can pick.

I see him as a depth player down back who is there for insurance in case of injuries or poor form from Silvagni/McPharlin/Grover/Faulks.

I agree he was not in the pies best 22 so he has very little chance of being in our best 22.unless he pulls something big out of his hat.
Just sit back for a minute and check out our list and you will see that getting a game with freo in 2011 is not going to be a easy task

mathew20;19746602[B said:
]I agree he was not in the pies best 22 so he has very little chance of being in our best 22[/B].unless he pulls something big out of his hat.
Just sit back for a minute and check out our list and you will see that getting a game with freo in 2011 is not going to be a easy task

Settle down! They won a flag for a reason

As we have said; Pav, Mcpharlin and Grover are nearing the end of their careers. We NEED to have KPP's ready to go once they are gone.
Bollocks. If you extend your argument you end up perpetually being in development mode. Your reason for them recruiting for the furture is they need to recruit for the future.

I think we need to ready to go KPP's for winning nexst year. The rationale for that thinking is that is what they have actually done in recruting Anthony and Faulks. Udderwise they would have taken Darling and not Pitt.

Settle down! They won a flag for a reason

They had to travel all the way to the MCG virtually every week including the finals thats the reason.I would love freo to have that sort of run including finals at Patersons

I agree he was not in the pies best 22 so he has very little chance of being in our best 22.unless he pulls something big out of his hat.
Thats right. Cloke was the No 1 contested mark in the whole AFL. Dawes ws in a hot streak.

So the two players you think are better than that who will Jack keep out of our team are who exactly?

I'm hoping the forward line will look:

HF: DeBoer, Pavlich, Fyfe
FF: Ballantyne, Griffin, Anthony

OR, the backline looks;

FB: (Silvani/Grover/Johnson), Anthony, Duffield
HB: Broughton, McPharlin, Mzungu

Either way, I haven't heard of a club bringing in an experienced player and letting them waste away in the lower leagues, I would think Griffin, Mzungu, Anthony and Faulks will all be expected to hold down a senior position in 2011. Either way, our key positions at each end should have a lot of flexibility about them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He will slot straight into full forward, can't wait to see him tear it up. I think we will be very happy with JA.

Bollocks. If you extend your argument you end up perpetually being in development mode. Your reason for them recruiting for the furture is they need to recruit for the future.

I think we need to ready to go KPP's for winning nexst year. The rationale for that thinking is that is what they have actually done in recruting Anthony and Faulks. Udderwise they would have taken Darling and not Pitt.

What you say doesn't make sense. If you have a look at the rookie draft there were some good ready made Key defenders taken after us. If you have seen Faulks at training or on the FTV video's he is almost the skinniest bloke on the list. Hopefully his speed will help him play on the key forwards but his body size needs a lot of work. And we are a club in development mode hence the rise from fourth last on the ladder.

Any how the club has stated before that they need KPP's and were going to target them. Look at Mcpharlin, history shows that rarely does he play a full season injury free, similar with Grover. All we need is one of them to get injured, perhaps one to retire and we are screwed.

True, but he is still 7 kg's or so heavier than Faulks and about 3cm's taller. We just won't know until end of pre-season weigh in.

I'm with the Dr on this. The list redevelopment is very close to complete (we need, whatever the outcome. to stay the course at the end of 2011, and continue the clean out of any dead wood and no trading of draft picks).

Unless they are elite, a focus on traditional KPPs is obsolete - Brisbane in 2003 was the last premiership team to rely on them. With our midfield the focus will be on a forward strategy that works: ie gumbies like Mooney, Hawkins:eek:and whoever played forward for those Swans and Eagles teams (I've tried to blot that era from memory) are likely to be sufficient. Faulks, Anthony and hopefully Sibo will do the trick in 2011-13/14 (the window).

I'm hoping the forward line will look:

HF: DeBoer, Pavlich, Fyfe
FF: Ballantyne, Griffin, Anthony

OR, the backline looks;

FB: (Silvani/Grover/Johnson), Anthony, Duffield
HB: Broughton, McPharlin, Mzungu

Fyfe will be up in the midfield more. Pretty sure Mayne will be in the forward line too. He's one of the main elements in our forward pressure.

I'm with the Dr on this. The list redevelopment is very close to complete (we need, whatever the outcome. to stay the course at the end of 2011, and continue the clean out of any dead wood and no trading of draft picks).

Unless they are elite, a focus on traditional KPPs is obsolete - Brisbane in 2003 was the last premiership team to rely on them. With our midfield the focus will be on a forward strategy that works: ie gumbies like Mooney, Hawkins:eek:and whoever played forward for those Swans and Eagles teams (I've tried to blot that era from memory) are likely to be sufficient. Faulks, Anthony and hopefully Sibo will do the trick in 2011-13/14 (the window).

Slight contradiction there. I am one for never trading away you top draft picks because that is the future of the club. But if we are finished with our re-development like you guys say and our premiership window is only in the next couple of years than why wouldn't they be trading away our top picks for established players who are ready to make an impact straight away. For someone like Mitch Clarke? Obviously Mark Harvey and the club believe there is still work to be done otherwise they wouldn't of drafted raw, unready players in the NAB Draft.

Actually if you look at Mcpharlin and Pav our two best KPP's they were both top ten picks in the 99 draft. We havn't used our first draft pick on a KPP in a long time while other clubs do. ie Michael Hurley at Essendon, Tate Pears, Jack Riewoldt etc. I have always believed our midfield to be our main weakness but that is has been addressed and just needs a year or two for experience. Next weak link in the chain is KPP's.

Slight contradiction there. I am one for never trading away you top draft picks because that is the future of the club. But if we are finished with our re-development like you guys say and our premiership window is only in the next couple of years than why wouldn't they be trading away our top picks for established players who are ready to make an impact straight away. For someone like Mitch Clarke? Obviously Mark Harvey and the club believe there is still work to be done otherwise they wouldn't of drafted raw, unready players in the NAB Draft.

We have elite talls in McPharlin, Pav, Sandi. The drafting is being done with an eye to the future while we tinker with the edges by bringing in guys like Anthony (free) Faulk (nearly free) etc.

Actually if you look at Mcpharlin and Pav our two best KPP's they were both top ten picks in the 99 draft. We havn't used our first draft pick on a KPP in a long time while other clubs do. ie Michael Hurley at Essendon, Tate Pears, Jack Riewoldt etc. I have always believed our midfield to be our main weakness but that is has been addressed and just needs a year or two for experience. Next weak link in the chain is KPP's.

Take your point. I suppose what I'm trying to say is that I think we have enough resources to have a genuine crack while Pav/Sandi/McP are still playing great footy. Long term KPPs are hard to latch on to (I'm not convinced that Hurley, Pears and co are certs to be KPP stars (in the way S Hill is to be a midfield star). In any case Essendon are a good example - some good KPP prospects who we'll never know about because the engine room is a joke. On balance I think Sibo, Faulks and Anthony (forward or back) are as good a chance as any to be able to get the job done for a gun midfield.

Remove this Banner Ad

We got the Jack

Remove this Banner Ad

Back