WE MUST KEEP ACRES

Remove this Banner Ad

Imagine if we had just used pick 5, 6 and 19 in the draft instead of playing around to try and get Hogan and Lobb. Could've had Rozee and King and probably Sturt still.
100% Obviously the next few seasons probably play out significantly different, but imagine just plonking those two in our 22. You'd be devastated if you didn't 3peat with that list.

Hogan trade was clearly a shambles in retrospect.
But no guarantee we would have managed to the the draft haul we did in 2019 if we had got Rozee and king the year before.
Both those guys were very good in their first seasons and certainly would have contributed a lot to us in 2019. We may not have had a low enough pick to get both young and Serong.
you certainly would imagine that by 2021, king and Rozee would have been contributing sufficiently to put us out of the range of Jye Amiss at pick 8 in that draft.

However it doesn’t change the fact that Hogan was still a complete balls up from start to finish.

Is this where we go and find the one thing right about the 20 predictions we made last year and post it to prove our omniscient footy judgement?

Acres reminds me of Sam Menegola. Both exceptional endurance runners from a young age with perfect size frames for AFL Footy, seemingly decent enough skills to play the game but both for different reasons failed to live up to their athletic promise for many years.

Menagola because he apparently didn't really knuckle down to it till the cliff was in sight and Acres because he looked a bit like the Scarecrow in Wizard of Oz for much of his time at Saint Kilda. I mean what was his value when traded to us? Basically nothing because he'd been thrown around the field at different times trying to find where he could utilise his gifts properly but never really given time to settle.

I think a lot of credit in his renaissance goes to JL and our footy dept for persisting with him on a wing when, lets face it he played a hell of a lot of pretty average games, I remember he was constantly in the list of outs here every week with every second poster calling for him to be sent back to the WAFL.

For whatever reason(s) he suddenly clicks as our team starts clicking and plays one really solid, consistent year of good footy and even then he was out for a good few weeks with injury.

I have no idea of the internal machinations that went on with his contract but it probably wasn't an unreasonable position to offer him an incentive based contract to see how his form and fitness played out. Should we have let it get to the point where he decided to leave? No. Definitely not.

But come on, lets not pretend that every man and his dog knew he was a gun and we just let him walk out the door. The guy was nearly finished when he came to us and there were plenty of times during his time here when I guarantee a majority of posters, including me would have been happy if he'd been delisted.

Good on him for what he's done. Produced the best footy of his career on the biggest stage in finals. Sucks its Carlton.

hindsight genius

Lol. Don’t need hindsight to realise it was a terrible decision before we made it. Read some of the posts in this thread.

Made the finals once and the geniuses running the place puffed out their chests thinking they could do no wrong and served up our worst offseason in a while hacking away at our list for peanuts returns.

Apparently he's shit and we won't miss him and his disposal efficiency although very good isn't actually accurate even though percentages don't lie.

Yep we ****ed up

What was acres value deemed as when he came as part of the Hill trade?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
is it true Bell offered him $180000 to stay this year , for me that is unders (like to know what we are paying Ethan Hughes)

Common thread with Hogan and Acres is Bell

He first season was a shocker but his last season was superb.
If it wasn't for Blake and will Brodie we wouldn't have made finals.
Like this year 🚂🤔

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The late season and finals (so far) have put Acres on the umpire's radar and he will poll some serious votes if he keeps up this form.

I say - let this be a learning experience and one filthy, flea-infested feather in your cap Peter Bell.

I’m not sure Bell is the guy, he’s not the list manager. Targeting JOM and undervaluing Acres smacks of someone who didn’t watch Hawthorn matches or perhaps watches only 2-3 games a weekend. I’d expect the person in charge to watch 7-9 afl games and 3-4 games of the lower level.

Carlton would have won if they had Ethan Hughes instead

Remove this Banner Ad

WE MUST KEEP ACRES

Remove this Banner Ad

Back