WE NEED QUALITY MIDS

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Gaff?
I said this (he or Selwood) early last year and got pretty slammed for it.

(I suspect you'll reply with some sort of sassy remark, which is fine ya know)

I said this (he or Selwood) early last year and got pretty slammed for it.

(I suspect you'll reply with some sort of sassy remark, which is fine ya know)

Im open to the idea of trading gaff, i haven't particularly warmed to him or feel he is a necessity to keep. This may have something to do with him being on my daughters height chart from membership pack, boy does he look creepy.

Its unfair in general that JoM and other guys like Martin are not in WA but at the same time id hate them at Freo.

Ill give shuey this season and next season to prove himself as a top mid of the game hes got the tools.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WC's lack of midfield strength and depth gets mentioned often, but WC also need a couple extra quality small/medium defenders, too. I believe this to be a need, not a want.

McGinnity and Brennan should be de-listed at season's end.

Ellis, Waters and Butler aren't reliable and can't be banked on due to being injury-prone. Butler's slower than a wet week too. Waters and Butler are of the class of 2003. They're getting rather long in the tooth as far as their football career goes.

Smith, Bennell, Carter and Wilson have plenty to prove. De-listings may also come from this group.

Sheppard may be used as a defender, but even he is unproven and needs to pull his finger out, no matter which position he plays.

Schofield can play on certain mediums, but WC may not want to play four talls down back if he's not used as a KPD. When Glass retires, Schofield takes his place as a third tall.

Hurn and Yeo are the only reliable, quality, small/medium defenders WC have, but Yeo may not remain a defender in the future.

Turning Rosa into predominantly a HBF is a viable temporary option. This is his 10th year on the list though, so a better quality and more longer term option is needed for the future.

As seen here, WC have plenty of small/medium defender options. That's not the issue though. The issue is not having enough reliable quality. An investment of one or two first round picks or upgraded second round picks into this area over the next few years may give WC the opportunity to acquire the talent through the draft to remedy this weakness.

The acquisition of Sheed and Waterman means WC won't have to focus as much on the midfield with their drafting and trading.

Swallow rumoured to have signed MASSIVE contract . Hopefully with ablett contract aswell someone like bennell could be poached ! We could even throw in smith as part of the deal :)

What would you offer for either?

Would Coniglio come into consideration?

I really dont know. I highly doubt GC would trade those two. FA might be our only chance.

Coniglio at the moment hasnt impressed as much as the two above. They are both players with that X factor we need.

Who would you target?

Yeh late teens i reckon. Though we picked up Darling next so i don't think we missed out. Though i think Smith wouldn't be overrated if he had gone pick 4. He came from nowhere though, i think he played amateurs then picked up after very little vfl exposure

Moved from NSW to study in Ballarat, played with Redan in the local comp, got picked up mid year for the Roosters playing on the wing and played in their second or third consecutive flag.

I really dont know. I highly doubt GC would trade those two. FA might be our only chance.

Coniglio at the moment hasnt impressed as much as the two above. They are both players with that X factor we need.

Who would you target?

O'Meara would cost a fortune and as you say the Suns would make retaining him their first priority. While they certainly would like to hang on to Bennell he is more of a wildcard given his previous behaviour, not to mention he wouldn't be absolutely unattainable price-wise.

Assuming no father sons get taken in the first round by us - which I admit is a possibility given we have three supposedly due in the next 3 drafts - our first rounder would likely come into the mix. Then a player would be needed, a like-for-like replacement in Gaff or someone of positional need to them - perhaps Mitch Brown if he continues his preseason form.

Gaff + 10-12 range draft pick may be an enticing offer, assuming Bennell is hellbent on coming home. This is probably a pre-requisite.

Coniglio isn't as well performed as the other two at senior level, but this will only mean he would be easier to shake loose from GWS who have an abundance of well-performed young midfielders. He may not project as well as a JOM or even a Bennell but he certainly is a quality talent with the attributes we require - physical, skillful, fast, inside/out. He is the most realistic of the three and given he is a self-confessed Eagles fanatic we may have an opportunity when his contract runs out in 2015 - a time at which Priddis will be 30 and close to finishing up.

Additionally I'm hoping Blake Acres does an Elliott Yeo. :p

WC's lack of midfield strength and depth gets mentioned often, but WC also need a couple extra quality small/medium defenders, too. I believe this to be a need, not a want.

McGinnity and Brennan should be de-listed at season's end.

Ellis, Waters and Butler aren't reliable and can't be banked on due to being injury-prone. Butler's slower than a wet week too. Waters and Butler are of the class of 2003. They're getting rather long in the tooth as far as their football career goes.

Smith, Bennell, Carter and Wilson have plenty to prove. De-listings may also come from this group.

Sheppard may be used as a defender, but even he is unproven and needs to pull his finger out, no matter which position he plays.

Schofield can play on certain mediums, but WC may not want to play four talls down back if he's not used as a KPD. When Glass retires, Schofield takes his place as a third tall.

Hurn and Yeo are the only reliable, quality, small/medium defenders WC have, but Yeo may not remain a defender in the future.

Turning Rosa into predominantly a HBF is a viable temporary option. This is his 10th year on the list though, so a better quality and more longer term option is needed for the future.
I wonder if Colledge could become a player who can play at both ends. He's taller than 'medium' but if he has the agility to take smaller forwards and the height to play on taller ones, that could be handy.

I wonder if Colledge could become a player who can play at both ends. He's taller than 'medium' but if he has the agility to take smaller forwards and the height to play on taller ones, that could be handy.

It'd be worth testing. Given the quality vying for a HFF role it may be beneficial for Colledge to make a change to defence, where there's less quality competition for spots. Some others may be better able to speak of his agility and ability to defend.

more quality mids? i thought we just got some?...i know what you mean, but i think we've got enough variables now going through the centre, and talent that will evolve hopefully sooner than later..i mean who do we call mids already-selwood, priddis, masten, wellingham, cox, NN, shuey, gaff, rosa, sheed, yeo, ellis, hurn, hutchings, darling, lecras, darling, sheppard, cripps, etc.
curious to see how it looks by round 4, then again later in the season in regards to who has stepped up..expect masten, shuey and wellingham to do so, probably gaff too, and the newbies ellis, yeo, sheed should get their groove on..arguably we have enough bigger bodies. maybe not as formidable as freo.
as said before i'm thinking the sum of the new/and overall midfield parts makes up for the lack of any goldplated gun class.? and what may yet turn into class..an example of that theory is our cricket team-not a team of stars, but a star team..or the Moneyball theory...anyway we'll certainly know by years end, and imagine adding a class-gun to the line up! cant be bad.

more quality mids? i thought we just got some?...i know what you mean, but i think we've got enough variables now going through the centre, and talent that will evolve hopefully sooner than later..i mean who do we call mids already-selwood, priddis, masten, wellingham, cox, NN, shuey, gaff, rosa, sheed, yeo, ellis, hurn, hutchings, darling, lecras, darling, sheppard, cripps, etc.
curious to see how it looks by round 4, then again later in the season in regards to who has stepped up..expect masten, shuey and wellingham to do so, probably gaff too, and the newbies ellis, yeo, sheed should get their groove on..arguably we have enough bigger bodies. maybe not as formidable as freo.
as said before i'm thinking the sum of the new/and overall midfield parts makes up for the lack of any goldplated gun class.? and what may yet turn into class..an example of that theory is our cricket team-not a team of stars, but a star team..or the Moneyball theory...anyway we'll certainly know by years end, and imagine adding a class-gun to the line up! cant be bad.

You're not related to alphy by any chance?

Remove this Banner Ad

WE NEED QUALITY MIDS

Remove this Banner Ad

Back