WE NEED QUALITY MIDS

Remove this Banner Ad

The high bench rotations of the last 4-5 years has given teams the option of using ' big bodied mids' as they can burst for 5-8 min then bench . With the bench cap will teams be able to use a lot of big bodied mids ? Or will they end up being effective for 1/2 of each quarter and then be slow plodders after that .
It time for the rise of the ' Endurance running mid ' and by seasons end they will be all the rage !
Lucky for us we have them in spades and our recruiters and coaching staff will be visionaries

Was considering having a thread listing all the quality WA mid's playing / contracted interstate.

I'm sure I'll miss someone but I can think of by ranking:

1. J O'Meara
  2. H Bennell
  3. T Mitchell
  4. D Swallow
  5. A Swallow
  6. Coniglio
  7. D Rich
  8. B Hill
  9. R Conca
  10. Harry Lumumba
  11. Lewis Jetta
  12. B Matera
  13. C Yarren
  14. J Martin
  15. Lucas
  16. P Cripps (corrected)
  17. Acres
  18. R Palmer
  19. Armfield
  20. Leroy Jetta
Crickey that's some decent WA talent has been drafted / moved away from their home states.:(

Last edited:
Was considering having a thread listing all the quality WA mid's playing / contracted interstate.

1. J O'Meara
  2. H Bennell
  3. T Mitchell
  4. D Swallow
  5. A Swallow
  6. Coniglio
  7. D Rich
  8. B Hill
  9. R Conca
  10. Harry Lumumba
  11. Lewis Jetta
  12. B Matera
  13. C Yarren
  14. J Martin
  15. Lucas
  16. J Cripps
  17. Acres
  18. R Palmer
  19. Armfield
  20. Leroy Jetta
Crickey that's some decent WA talent has been drafted / moved away from their home states.:(

Good list, although I think you mean P Cripps. :)

Of that list probably only the following are both gettable and worthy (IMO):

Bennell
Coniglio
Lewis Jetta
Matera
Yarran
Acres (at end of first contract)

Kane Lucas is an iffy one as we are probably in need of wing-depth but he is similar to what we already have.

It's funny to think midway through last season we were all discussing the possibility of both Yarran and Conca being on our list - seems bizarre now.

1. J O'Meara
  2. H Bennell
  3. T Mitchell
  4. D Swallow
  5. A Swallow
  6. Coniglio
  7. D Rich
  8. B Hill
  9. R Conca
  10. Harry Lumumba
  11. Lewis Jetta
  12. B Matera
  13. C Yarren
  14. J Martin
  15. Lucas
  16. J Cripps
  17. Acres
  18. R Palmer
  19. Armfield
  20. Leroy Jetta

Yeah there is. Don't know why you've got the sad face though.

Jordan Lockyer and Harrison Marsh are other tall inside mids from the Swans from WA I wouldn't hate to recruit.
ADD a few more wa boys too the list

Mitch Duncan
Jared Jensen
Nick Robertson
Charlie Cameron
David Elard
Alex Fasolo
David Myers
Ben Howlett
Travis Colyer
Dean Kent
Andrew Swallow
Ben Newton
Brendon Ah Chee
  1. J O'Meara
  2. H Bennell
  3. T Mitchell
  4. D Swallow
  5. A Swallow
  6. Coniglio
  7. D Rich
  8. B Hill
  9. R Conca
  10. Harry Lumumba
  11. Lewis Jetta
  12. B Matera
  13. C Yarren
  14. J Martin
  15. Lucas
  16. P Cripps (corrected)
  17. Acres
  18. R Palmer
  19. Armfield
  20. Leroy Jetta

ADD a few more wa boys too the list

Mitch Duncan
Jared Jensen
Nick Robertson

Charlie Cameron
David Elard
Alex Fasolo
David Myers
Ben Howlett
Travis Colyer
Dean Kent
Andrew Swallow
Ben Newton
Brendon Ah Chee

I've bolded the ones who are both somewhat realistic in the next 2-3 years and also worth targeting. Myers is borderline for me.

I'm still annoyed we went for Karpany over Robertson.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thoughts on Elliot Yeo becoming our next great hope for an inside midfielder with size and pace? I honestly think this could happen down the track once he puts on a little more muscle. He's 86kg already so I'd think around 90-92kg should be where he ends up.

Some of his attributes:
1) Height and weight is 190cm and 86kg. Perfect size for a midfielder in the here and now.
2) Elite on both feet and a competent handballer.
3) Elite aerial ability. Massive leap and very good mark, ala Fyfe.
4) Elite speed both laterally and in a straight line.
5) 'Swervabilty' as GE calls it is also elite. He has a mean side step and tested in the top 2 for agility in the 2010 draft camp IIRC.
6) Can keep his feet and doesn't go to ground easily.
7) Has a bit of mongrel about him in the games I saw of Brisbane last year. Also a good tackler which can also improve with time.

The only question marks I have are whether he can kick enough goals as a midfielder and increase his disposal count. Both I'm not too worried about due to where he plays currently. In his colts days he averaged 23.2 possessions, 4 tackles, 4.5 marks and just under a goal a game as a inside/outside mid so it seems he should to be able rack up decent numbers. At very worst he will end up an half back flanker/wingman, but his upside for a big bodied inside midfielder with pace and skill which we have been desperately seeking is enormous.

Nice post about yeo above. I think your spot on. Maybe we have quality mids and this is the year they show it. We could use a line breaking runner, whether thats on the wing or hff/hbf or midfield I'm not fussed.

Maybe we have quality mids and this is the year they show it.

exactly. its what i was trying to say. between our mid tier and newbies youd think some class will rise and shine this season...and if not, then its a pretty solid interchange and depth waiting to have some class added next draft.
(in fact the next draft top up, and season, promises to be something special !?)

Our Back 6, and Forward 6 are good enough to compete with the best, but i feel our mids is where we need improvement!

Selwood, Shuey, Wellingham, Priddis & Masto are very serviceable.

But i feel we need an out and out star A+ grader to make our midfield competitive. We don't stack up to Sydney, Hawthorn, Collingwood, Fremantle. If we want to finish top 4 we either need Shuey or Masto to totally take the next step and become elite, or need to source that player.

To win a premiership we have to finish top 4 and to do so, we need a midfield that can match it with the best, because we are certainly good enough with our Def & Fwds.

Thoughts?

I think we have the guys to get the ball in the middle and if fit I think Masto, Gaff , Wellingham , Shueys disposal is good enough And how about Yeo and Ellis and their disposal he could throw either of those guys in there , don't forget he may throw Darling in there and Nic Nat and his second efforts in the middle count for two , but your right we need a bit of polish in disposal maybe a new year and the boys will step up

Lets look at the Hawks midfielders by ranking, they are reigning Premiers:

1. Sam Mitchell - now playing across half back / on ball
  2. Luke Hodge - now playing mainly half back and on ball
  3. Isaac Smith
  4. Lewis
  5. Sewell
  6. Rioli - hammie issues restrict his time on ball / plays high half forward
  7. B Hill
  8. Burgoyne - plays mainly defense
  9. Whitecross
  10. Shiels - run with mid
  11. McEnvoy / Hale rucks
  12. Anderson - 2nd year player

Now does that list leap off the page as being a super dominant star studded midfield?

Hawks have more stars playing across half back than on ball. They have a very good spread of gun players across every line tall and small.

How about Freo, they came 2nd last year:

1. Fyfe
  2. Mundy
  3. Barlow
  4. Sandilands
  5. Hill
  6. Crowely
  7. Suban - utility
  8. de Boer - utility
  9. Muzungu - half back / mid
  10. D Pearce - half back / mid
  11. Sylvia - HFF / mid lots to prove
  12. Clancy Pearce - utility
  13. Neale - emerging

So now we have the Eagles in order of quality:

1. Shuey
  2. S Selwood
  3. Masten
  4. Gaff
  5. Cox / Naitanui - ruck / forward
  6. Ellis - half back / mid
  7. Wellingham - utility
  8. Hutchings
  9. Priddis
  10. Rosa
  11. Yeo - utility
  12. Cripps - forward / mid
  13. Sheed - first year
  14. Darling - forward /mid experiment in 2014
Those in red in 2013 were either injured / suspended for large periods or not on the list at all. Gaff had a shocker and Darling didn't have a midfield role.

If we can stay fit and on the park we have some good depth and quality in 2014 running through the middle. Add a new game plan where we retain possession more instead of bombing long we will spend more time with ball in hand and less time chasing the opposition.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

WE NEED QUALITY MIDS

Remove this Banner Ad

Back