mrmatt

Team Captain
Sep 9, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide
...I know it's probably all too late but, in light of what happened at Melbourne after the tanking allegations and now what appears to be happening at Essendon, we have been totally stiffed. It is completely out of whack in comparison to these other indiscretions. Total joke with us as the punchline.

...I know it's probably all too late but, in light of what happened at Melbourne after the tanking allegations and now what appears to be happening at Essendon, we have been totally stiffed. It is completely out of whack in comparison to these other indiscretions. Total joke with us as the punchline.
Whats this now?

I am happy to accept our penalty. BUT if Essendon get off lightly (which is still yet to be determined) i will be mighty peeved!!

i assure you essendon wont get of lightly, it was only 2 days ago that the afl released the most damning information we've seen thus far (with shitloads more up their sleeve apparently), and asada is still months away from taking action anyway.

now get some rest.

Personally, I thought our penalties (particularly draft sanctions) were over the top. But the time for appealing has long since gone, and what Essendon may or may not get really has no relevance whatsoever.

I'll be as pissed off as the next guy if they're given the deals being bandied about in the ASADA/Doping sub-forum, but let's wait and see what actually happens before working ourselves up into a hysteria.

I am happy to accept our penalty. BUT if Essendon get off lightly (which is still yet to be determined) i will be mighty peeved!!

I think the punishments severity will surprise everyone. The problem the AFL has is this news has made international headlines. if they don't come down hard on Essendon not only the AFL but Australia will become the national laughing stock of the sporting world. I think the smartest thing we should do is sit back and wait for the entire investigation to play out. There are two parts to this punishment, Hird and Co have been charged with infractions based on just whats been released so far and you will need to keep in mind any punishment (I don't gaurentee this) will be subject to substantial increases in severity if the ASADA report comes back guilty.

Just sit back and wait

Penalties need to be consistent and fair, and be seen to be consistent and fair... And if they aren't then questions need to be asked. But I'll bet fairness and consistency was a major part of the discussion between the AFL Club Presidents yesterday... So yes wait for the Essendon sanctions and then see...

Our penalty is what we negotiated - it can't now be revisited just because another club is doing a better job of negotiating their penalty

Why not? Trigg seems to renege on everything else!

Peter J I'm sure that's true. Makes a nonsense of penalties if its not. But surely precedence also has to play a part or the integrity of the whole AFL administrative system gets called into question doesn't it? Perception of fairness is a powerful thing - and I think penalties have been subsequently overturned in the past? But I'm no admin law expert so happy to be corrected.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Peter J I'm sure that's true. Makes a nonsense of penalties if its not. But surely precedence also has to play a part or the integrity of the whole AFL administrative system gets called into question doesn't it? Perception of fairness is a powerful thing - and I think penalties have been subsequently overturned in the past? But I'm no admin law expert so happy to be corrected.

They can be overturned FF it's true - however that's where a penalty has been imposed and is outside an acceptable range. Now I stand corrected but my understanding is our penalty was negotiated and was effectively by consent of both parties. As long as it was within an acceptable range and we weren't coerced ( very hard to prove given our QC's ) then it's the end of the matter.

Personally, I thought our penalties (particularly draft sanctions) were over the top. But the time for appealing has long since gone, and what Essendon may or may not get really has no relevance whatsoever.

I disagree. Unless the AFL are as belligerent with Essendon as they were with us, we have every right to question the Commission. Whether we do or not is another matter entirely.

Well straight away, if Essendon gets off, it does such substantial damage to the AFL brand, ASADA/WADA so you could rule that out.

In reality, Essendon will get the book thrown at them and be absolutely smashed with penalties, you don't fight the government and win, seeing AFL will play the line "Bringing the game into disrepute", they are screwed whatever they do.

The question has to be asked?

who has done more damage to the AFL brand, the Crows or the Essendon football club?

If the rumors are true and the Bombers are not stripped of any draft picks, we must and i stress MUST demand (at least) our second round pick back or gain the entire lot back from this year.

The question has to be asked?

who has done more damage to the AFL brand, the Crows or the Essendon football club?

If the rumors are true and the Bombers are not stripped of any draft picks, we must and i stress MUST demand (at least) our second round pick back or gain the entire lot back from this year.
There is no doubt whatsoever that Essendon have done far more damage to the AFL brand than AFC with Tippett-gate & also AFC co-operated!

Will wait & see what penalty the Dons get, but is has to be much more than AFC. If it isn't, then yes AFC should appeal.

There is no doubt whatsoever that Essendon have done far more damage to the AFL brand than AFC with Tippett-gate & also AFC co-operated!

Will wait & see what penalty the Dons get, but is has to be much more than AFC. If it isn't, then yes AFC should appeal.

This was posted on the Essendon Football club board. Don't know how true it is but if its anything close to thus, it was be a ****ing discrace.

Rumour is that EFC has agreed: - loss of 2013 points - 2.5 mil fine - Hird 6 month suspension - Thompson and Reid fine - Corcoran 12 months

Do you think they've been holding hands all year?

I think they started off very close. No doubt in my mind vlad got them to self-report. vlad and Evans were working towards the royal sweep under the carpet trick that vlad is so good with in an attempt to protect the players as much as possible, Hird got wind of the fact that he was to be banned for 12 months and refused. He's pushed Evans out to bring in the litigious Little. And since then we've hard world war 3 declared. Afl still want to minimise the harm but be seen to be tough. Of course ASADA have still to complete their investigation and players will more than likely receive infractions. Will be interesting to see if the afl go easy on the player sanctions knowing the WADA is looking over their shoulders.

Over on the general board they are some saying the reason draft picks wont be taken is that the AFL has learnt from the penalty they handed out to Carlton, how far it set the club back and now don't want to repeat it with the Bombers.

Didn't seem to have much affect handing out the Tippett penalty.

As I've said before, we are irrelevant to the AFL's grand plans and the Tippett saga carried no futher collateral damage to the AFL brand so the AFL could just swing away at us.

On the other hand the Bombers investigation represents a huge potential hit to the AFL brand so they are far more prepared to tread softly in this case.

Yeah, great equitable competition we support.

This was posted on the Essendon Football club board. Don't know how true it is but if its anything close to thus, it was be a ******* discrace.

Rumour is that EFC has agreed: - loss of 2013 points - 2.5 mil fine - Hird 6 month suspension - Thompson and Reid fine - Corcoran 12 months

That is a joke. Has to be. We lost Dean Bailey for 6 moths because Melbourne didn't tank. Losing points in 2013 after losing 4 games in a row leading into finals = a nothing punishment. Losing Hird for 6 months while probably having Thompson step in as senior coach probably = a positive.

Over on the general board they are some saying the reason draft picks wont be taken is that the AFL has learnt from the penalty they handed out to Carlton, how far it set the club back and now don't want to repeat it with the Bombers.

Didn't seem to have much affect handing out the Tippett penalty.

If this is true and the Bombers are not stripped of any draft picks, Steven Trigg and Rob Chapman MUST call a press conference and publicly ask the AFL for an explanation and then demand our penalty be reduced.

However because they are a bunch of incompetent soft cocked bitches, they won't do a ****ing them and just accept it.

Remove this Banner Ad

WE need to appeal our sanctions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back