Analysis We need to chat ( some of our more sensitive posters, probably shouldn't enter)

Remove this Banner Ad

Surely the old adage 'once a shitmen, always a shitmen' must come into consideration though? If you laid out a shitmen's output over his career, the mean output would be shitmen-esque. You can't be a shitmen for one year if it's a clear outlier year in the wider context of your career

Ha if you cared to look I was gentle on our young crew. I called we could delist 14 a few years ago, and there was an uproar on here. We delisted 11 at seasons end.

I hope we go as hard again, enough is enough.

Career? Over a career? Has powell played out a career?

having a dig at me is all, and I don't mind that. This is tough for us rusted on to get our heads around we've cornered the market in shitmen. It was a Luff natural bias I'd suggest and a few before him.

Not sure about Archer. Has worked unbelievably hard and fights like his father, but I just don’t think he was born in the right era. Happy to be proved wrong of course.

As for the overall thread tone. We were the sixth most experienced team today, but we are considered a young team.

Why? Because years of poor recruiting and list development, shifting drafting priorities under different coaches and coaching changes has left us with a lot of 30+s, not much quality in the 25-29 range and a lot of youngsters and long term list gaps.

Young talent is not the major problem, though we do have list gaps like any club (KPF, small forward, wing, tall mid, project ruck).

The problem North has possessed since the end of the Scott era was poor drafting (poor decisions, expansion teams & compromised drafts) in the 2011-2015 period, which resulted in a quality gap in the middle experience tier. We are top heavy with experience (Goldy/Ziebell/Shiels/Hall/Greenwood) with little in quality in the middle tier. It is why the club and Clarko went out and got guys like Logue, Tucker and Howe to help with experience in that middle tier, even if a few of those names don't survive multiple seasons.

For example:
The only players remaining from the 2010-2015 drafts are Ben McKay (2015), Luke McDonald (2013) and Kayne Turner (2013). We have missed a lot of secondary picks, even during the 2016-21 period. I have listed our misses below, but many are later main draft picks, so a grain of salt. I have also added bolded names that I don’t think will make it long term, or will struggle without major improvement.

Misses include:
  • Harper at 27
  • Delaney at 69
  • Mabon at 71

• McKenzie at 18
  • Tom Curran at 40

• Garner at 15
  • I won’t count Jacobs or Wood as misses
  • Wilkins at 47
  • Currie at 56
  • Hine at 61

2013 had L Mac, BB and Dumont

• Durdin at 16
  • Neilson at 25 (yikes)
  • EVW at 36

2015:
  • Clarke at 31
  • Hibberd at 33
  • Wagner at 43
  • Mountford at 60

Due to coach changes, COVID and poorly coordinated drafting has also affected drafting in the 2016-2021 period.

Misses include:
  • Watson at 34
  • Williams at 36

• Walker at 23
  • Hayden at 62
  • Hartung at 77

• Thomas? At 8
  • Taylor at 46 (harsh I know)
  • Crocker at 69

- Hosie at pick 5 in the msd.
- Mahoney at 34 (too limited)
- Perez at 35 (injuries have wrecked his pace and athleticism)

• Laz at 36 (I like him, but has no outstanding attributes beyond a tank)
    [*]Spicer at 42 (Refuses to put his head over the footy and struggles with the contested stuff)
    [*]Ford at 56 (Harsh, but he should be getting a look in, but has no other tools outside marking. Is an undersized third tall. Up against it, but hope he makes it. Good game today)

- Edwards 1 in the MSD
  • Ham at 16 in the MSD
  • Maybe Archer, but perhaps I’m being really unfair.

That is a lot of misses. Add in a new coach (so many in a short time), gameplan and fitness regime, then we get results like today.

Trades have been hit and miss. Stevo, Tucker, Logue, Greenwood have been hits in recent times. Jury is still out on CCJ. Misses: Atu, Young (I like him, but don’t think he’s in Clarko’s plans), Polec and Pittard, Tyson and Hall (was cheap and has played many good games in a struggling side, so Miss is harsh). With the exception of Polec, our bad trades haven’t cost us much in trade value.

I am really bullish on Sheezel, Wardlaw, George, Goater, Curtis, Bergman, Comben, Powell and Phillips as our young brigade. I am also confident that Logue, Corr, Scott, Tucker, LDU, Simpkin, L Mac, Zurhaar, Larkey, Stevo and McKay will be around next finals push. Fingers crossed for TT too.

We just have to be patient and accept that it is going to take time to overcome past mistakes. Need to do a well targeted clean out again this year and start nailing our later picks.

Last edited:
Ha if you cared to look I was gentle on our young crew. I called we could delist 14 a few years ago, and there was an uproar on here. We delisted 11 at seasons end.

I fully expect a massive clean out at the end of the year

Who do they get replaced with though? The natural chances of success with their replacements won't justify the cull. It'll just mean shitmen are replaced with different shitmen.

95% of these blokes are at the level cos the potential to play a role well at AFL level is within them. We need to find the roles that they can play. CT is the most obvious one of the lot. Impact forward or nothing.

Turner, Mahony and Howe admittedly have no business being on an AFL ground, but mass delisting ain't the answer. We tried it and it got us nowhere

Who do they get replaced with though? The natural chances of success with their replacements won't justify the cull. It'll just mean shitmen are replaced with different shitmen.

95% of these blokes are at the level cos the potential to play a role well at AFL level is within them. We need to find the roles that they can play. CT is the most obvious one of the lot. Impact forward or nothing.

Turner, Mahony and Howe admittedly have no business being on an AFL ground, but mass delisting ain't the answer. We tried it and it got us nowhere

Bergman, Goater & Curtis probably should have played today. But it would seem al clarko favors intent, which is fine.

Wardlaw is a couple of months off, no issue with that. Flog McKay and have a look at some trades at seasons end. We actually have enough youth currently.

You want to keep McKay, turn him into a ruckman. Apparently we did look at that but it didn't go well

Whats the point when you relist blokes like kayne and pick up blokes like howe, should have been balls deep into stocker,

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is our mix even correct?

We have been going well at contest but today got pumped. We can’t keep the footy in the forward line and are happy to play a run and gun from out the backline and hold the footy in our back half 70% of the time.

We need another big forward, athletic though, and put it more on our forward mix to keep it in. Can’t keep Turner in anymore - zero tackles. Wardlaw, Curtis, Zurhaar, Stephenson. All out tackling

Defenders. Reverse land of the giants doesn’t work. Pick two of Mckay, logue, corr. And don’t let them push so ****ing high up the ground.

Midfield mix needs to be dynamic. LDU, powell, Phillips, simpkin, build out from there. Need more pace, pressure and fluidity around a stoppage.

Tldr we are ****ed for the minute 😂

Chom has played 6 ish games and had 6 shots on goal. Bag Chom at your own peril. A Brisbane supporter called me 10 minutes ago and gave Chom a massive wrap.

I said he’s played 6 games. He couldn’t believe it
I wasnt singling out chom, which is why i specifically said chom and souva, absolute minimum we need another with at least the same potential and dont give me an edwards, ccj or X retort.

The Dees are trying to win the premiership and just got demolished by *.

s**t happens. No need to get upset. We're trying to build up. It won't be without setbacks.

I'm glad that the sensitive, overreacting types on here aren't making decisions at the club.

ha, harsh I'm a lot more realistic than the majority of our posters.

It would take some work, but I'd like to be able to name those I don't rate and put up some of the suggestions posters have said they remind them of.

Would be a fun exercise.

E.g. JM - Kosi Pickett lol
CCJ- a tractor, actually that ones fair.
Comben- a young Corey McKernan, actually that was me, and I'm happy with that.

ha, harsh I'm a lot more realistic than the majority of our posters.

It would take some work, but I'd like to be able to name those I don't rate and put up some of the suggestions posters have said they remind them of.

Would be a fun exercise.
Would also be fun to list the good players that posters here have said were shit and need to be delisted.

Both groups overreact. One optimistic, the other pessimistic.

When I've watched games this year, i'm just seeing the improvement. Old staples like Goldy, Cunners and Z are showing their age and will never be able to carry the weight that they have in the past. I have complete faith that the next decade players will step up this year.

If you compare games like today to the last two years, you weren't watching while we were in the pit. There is so much more hope in today's team. Go with it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis We need to chat ( some of our more sensitive posters, probably shouldn't enter)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back