Roast We need to talk about Lachie

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s odd. I reckon Hinkley does his best work with young players who respond to his motivation style. Seems he maxes out once players need to find another level ie Impey, Wingard, Amon, etc

Yeah this is a great call. We've had a lot of players who have gotten to the young and exciting could be anything stage without really progressing into dependable stars. Rozee and Butters seem to have gotten there but it's rare.

I don't think it was a Bronx cheer as much as a cheer of encouragement and trying to get him back on track, but yes, the man needs to go back to the twos and build up his confidence again. Absolutely killed our momentum a bunch of times with some real fundamental skill errors
He marked it about 10 meters from where I sit everyone around Bronx cheered him the frustration with Jones tonight was next level in my bay

Hes the epitome of the modern draft ‘Athletes’ era. Absolutely no skills, cannot even take a chest mark and has the football IQ of a walnut.

Prime example a naturally gifted player like Dylan Williams cant get a look in over him as he doesnt have the athletic traits. They see the upside in Jones from a physical perspective and think if he puts it together imagine what he could be. The problem is hes now 4 years in and still has detergent on his hands.

He needs to be trialled as a forward in the sanfl and if that doesnt work then i dont know what they can do with him. You cant be making the mistakes he does in such a crucial part of the ground.

Why this bloke is playing ahead of Dylan Williams who has impressed time and time again in defence boggles my mind.
It needs to be directly questioned to the coaches. Imagine being Williams and having to sit there and watch a bloke drop 5 chest marks they select over you. He should explore his options if he doesn’t immediately come in and play for the rest of the year.

Hes the epitome of the modern draft ‘Athletes’ era. Absolutely no skills, cannot even take a chest mark and has the football IQ of a walnut.

Prime example a naturally gifted player like Dylan Williams cant get a look in over him as he doesnt have the athletic traits. They see the upside in Jones from a physical perspective and think if he puts it together imagine what he could be. The problem is hes now 4 years in and still has detergent on his hands.

He needs to be trialled as a forward in the sanfl and if that doesnt work then i dont know what they can do with him. You cant be making the mistakes he does in such a crucial part of the ground.
Bit insulting to walnuts there, mate!

In a serious vein, I've been a Jones lover from day '1' but even I now think he needs to be dropped to the Maggies and play 10 decent games with no skill errors, and show some intelligence to his play, before even remotely considering him for AFL again.

Really disappointed in his lack of development (would suggest he's gone backwards fast over the past season or so).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Considering that old mate Bonner just had a record amount of turnovers with the Aints then I'd still say that Jones is a way better ball user than either him or Pittard.

It was purely just the constant dropped marks that was the difference between him being one of our better defenders on the night... or a complete liability.

If the club had any balls or knew that there is such thing as Accountability then they would make Lachie spend his entire Monday doing nothing but routine marking practice, but more likely they will just give him a pat on the back for his hard gut running and continue to pick him over the clearly better and more skilled Dylan Williams.

I will go into bat for Lachie Jones.

If, and if he marks those balls, he would've played a very good game. He also has some fumbles so not the best.

He has a lot of potential and those elements of his game need to be ironed out. It' not like he's always played that way. You don't make it onto an AFL list as a 1st Rounder with that kind of poor game.

As others have stated, he flies too much and doesn't really know when to mark or kill the ball. He has so many times that he is just so close to making a huge impact on contests.

There is an element where he needs to be coached to the player that they want in the backline.

Having said that, he has to be seriously looked at moving back to the SANFL to gain some confidence.

If, and if he marks those balls, he would've played a very good game. He also has some fumbles so not the best.

He has a lot of potential and those elements of his game need to be ironed out. It' not like he's always played that way. You don't make it onto an AFL list as a 1st Rounder with that kind of poor game.

As others have stated, he flies too much and doesn't really know when to mark or kill the ball. He has so many times that he is just so close to making a huge impact on contests.

There is an element where he needs to be coached to the player that they want in the backline.

Having said that, he has to be seriously looked at moving back to the SANFL to gain some confidence.

It’s not as if he made a few mistakes early in the game and then steadied as the game went on. He dropped uncontested mark after uncontested mark killing the momentum and leading directly to Melbourne goals. His skills aren’t afl standard

Hes a nearly there player. Unfortunately ball handling is a pretty dire thing to have as your flaw. Not sure thats fixable tbh

As others have said, he just needs to learn a bit of focus and concentration and to see the ball into his hand and then think about the next play.

He didn't come into the AFL as a fumbly mumbler.

If he gets over that, he's going to be a very good player.

If he doesn't, he's not even going to make A grade at Port Districts.

His potential is worth waiting on but for how long, we will see.

As Macca said, he's nearly there.

His ball handling skills are basically non existent. He doesn't take ground balls cleanly, drops uncontested chest marks.

Being big and fast might be great when you are playing juniors but it ain't good enough in the AFL.

With his skills. If he was built like Jase Burgoyne, would he even get a run with a SANFL side ?

If it was the 90s or early 2000s and someone like Robert Walls was coach, you could see the whole team lined up each with a ball about 15 metres away with everyone getting to launch a ball at Lachie Jones where he has to mark or pick the ball up off the deck.

Remove this Banner Ad

Roast We need to talk about Lachie

Remove this Banner Ad

Back