Weaver's phantom predictions... we got picks 1, 5, 10, 18 + 17 from the superdraft!

Remove this Banner Ad

lids2004roar

Premiership Player
Nov 30, 2006
AFL Club
Richmond
1 = Cotchin
5 = Gourdis
10 = Rance
18 = Putt
Superdraft 17 = Collard

:D

Throw in Morton, Silvester, ACL (ruck insurance) and the Pool Boy and in these early stages it looks like we killed it :thumbsu:

I havnt followed this closely but it begs the question, if Weaver and others rated Gourdis so highly, why was he completlely overlooked in the ND?

I think weaver rated him so highly because of his potential and athletic capabilities. Something that had been very popular amongst AFL clubs in recent drafts.

This year clubs shied away from these "project" players and most of the draft enthusiasts didn't see that coming.

Does anyone else have the opinion that predicitons don't mean anything. I mean no offence to Weaver, but that fact that he had Gourdis at number 5 and he eventually went in the PSD might suggest Weaver doesnt know any more than the rest of us. In reality I think most people did a better job than weaver in picking the top 5 and leaving Gourdis out.
Don't get me wrong, i am very happy we got Gourdis, so glad we didnt get richards.
:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu: Go Tiges

Does anyone else have the opinion that predicitons don't mean anything. I mean no offence to Weaver, but that fact that he had Gourdis at number 5 and he eventually went in the PSD might suggest Weaver doesnt know any more than the rest of us. In reality I think most people did a better job than weaver in picking the top 5 and leaving Gourdis out.
Don't get me wrong, i am very happy we got Gourdis, so glad we didnt get richards.
Weaver knows more about the draft pool than most of us on this board put together and then some, but he never professes to be an expert or a prophet.
That's why they call the draft a lottery. Nobody can accurately read the minds of football recruiters or anyone else for that matter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mate weaver has a much better knowledge of the draft then 99% of people on Bigfooty.

Of course he makes mistakes, but so do recruiters, the draft is not an exact science its a lottery. He rated Daniel Connors a lot higher then he went last year. Foley was somebody he thought should have never slipped through to the rookie draft.

He gets some wrong he gets some right. But he certainly knows more then most people about the draft.

I also dont actually think that this was how he rated the players, just where he thought they would be drafted (except cotchin and kruezer but he was having fun with that).

What weaver probably failed to pick this year, along with many others, was the recruiters moving away from project players to more ready made types.

i doubt he knows more than everyone on this on this board put together. And yes he never does profess to being a phophet but saying he knows more than everyone else put together suggests you taking his word as gospel.

And if it is such a lottery like you say, why do you even listen to anything thats said. If he gave you a bunch of numbers would you go out and by a lottery ticket with those numbers on it? I really dont think you can liken it to a lottery, players are picked on skill and clubs needs and wants.

In the case or gourdis and why he was rated so highly, clearly he has ranked this guy purely on draft camp results, possibly without actually ever seeing him play a game of footy.
Maybe he should be a talent scout for the olympics track and field team... or better yet, maybe he should get a job reading books and regurgitating facts.

Suggestion, change the title of the thread to - we got picks 2, 18, 51 and 1 in the PSD?:p

i doubt he knows more than everyone on this on this board put together. And yes he never does profess to being a phophet but saying he knows more than everyone else put together suggests you taking his word as gospel.

And if it is such a lottery like you say, why do you even listen to anything thats said. If he gave you a bunch of numbers would you go out and by a lottery ticket with those numbers on it? I really dont think you can liken it to a lottery, players are picked on skill and clubs needs and wants.

In the case or gourdis and why he was rated so highly, clearly he has ranked this guy purely on draft camp results, possibly without actually ever seeing him play a game of footy.
Maybe he should be a talent scout for the olympics track and field team... or better yet, maybe he should get a job reading books and regurgitating facts.

Suggestion, change the title of the thread to - we got picks 2, 18, 51 and 1 in the PSD?:p
I reckon you'll get shot down pretty quickly but i gotta say i like ur style:thumbsu:

I never said he knows more then the entire board put together, i said he would have a better knowledge the 99% of bigfooty posters. Nor do i take everything weaver says as gospel. But he is somebody i respect highly on this board, as do the majority of posters.

Maybe lottery isnt the best analogy. But the draft isnt an exact science either. To use weavers own analogy its like playing darts. Pick 1 is a throw taken from a meter away from the board, no certainty that it will be a bullseye but your chances are greater. For every pick you take a step back. When you get to pick 50 you are throwing from 50 meters its likely you will not even hit the board but you could fluke a good player.

As i said again i dont believe weavers phantom draft was an indication of where he personally rated players but where they were more likely to go. He followed the previous AFL trend of picking "Project players", which this year AFL clubs didnt do for one reason or another and instead picked more ready to go players.

Anyone who has been around for more then 2 seconds would know that Weaver goes to most TAC cup games all the championship games and sees as many interstate games as possible. He is highly respected by all draft enthusiast on the draft board.

So instead of being a W@nker and paying out somebodies informed opinion why dont you tell us how you rated Gourdis and his fellow draftees??

It looks like the 2006/2007 drafts will be good ones for us! hopefully it will shore us up for the future for long continuous stints in the finals.

You muppet;)

It looks like the 2006/2007 drafts will be good ones for us! hopefully it will shore us up for the future for long continuous stints in the finals.
2004 has been good as well.

Deledio, Tambling, Patto, Polo, McGuane are all handy types.

Thursfield from the Rookie draft.

We have Morton now who was a top ten prospect in the said draft.

Hopefully Meyer can pull his finger out.

I will be watching Junior 24's career closely. A join date in the last couple of days, comes out all guns firing at a BF institution, gives off a bit of an anti-Tiges vibe...

Won't be surprised if we never see Junior24 and Magnificence in the same room, if you know what I mean. Or Hawk 80 or Parrot. We can rule out our man Aimsley though - grammar is way too good.

I will be watching Junior 24's career closely. A join date in the last couple of days, comes out all guns firing at a BF institution, gives off a bit of an anti-Tiges vibe...

Won't be surprised if we never see Junior24 and Magnificence in the same room, if you know what I mean. Or Hawk 80 or Parrot. We can rule out our man Aimsley though - grammar is way too good.
Yes HH will be watching closely too, Loved Weave's CC on SO'R, Love it:thumbsu:

Don't think Junior said anything too outlandish. With all due respect to Weaver, the only real line we have on these kids at the moment is where they fell in the actual drafts. And we all know that isn't a fool proof guide by any shot either. The main thing is that mostly we seem to have gotten the players that filled our needs and in most cases seemed to be among our more preferred choices.:thumbsu:

Don't think Junior said anything too outlandish. With all due respect to Weaver, the only real line we have on these kids at the moment is where they fell in the actual drafts. And we all know that isn't a fool proof guide by any shot either. The main thing is that mostly we seem to have gotten the players that filled our needs and in most cases seemed to be among our more preferred choices.:thumbsu:

Thank you, some one that speaks some sence. Exactly what i'm saying. Where a kid is placed in a phantom draft means nothing, so saying something like we got players that are ranked 1, 5, 10 etc is just stupid. And i agree, we have done very well in this draft in terms of picking up players in positions we need filled.

love it u got it in one

Remove this Banner Ad

Weaver's phantom predictions... we got picks 1, 5, 10, 18 + 17 from the superdraft!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back