Fixture Week 1 AFL finals

Remove this Banner Ad

The AFL will want maximum eyeballs and attendance for Swans v Giants, so I expect it will be Friday or Saturday night, not Thurs
I can see Thursday night for Swans and Giants, means it's not forcing fans to travel interstate during the working week and the NRL that night features two non-NSW sides. Would be a cracking game to kick off the finals series.

Swans as top ranked team won't play later than Friday night.

If Port v Geelong (2nd v 3rd) is on the Thursday as per Morris, then Friday has to be 6th v 7th.

Otherwise the winner of Hawks v Dogs will be coming off a six-day break to play the loser of Port and Geelong.

I’d be shocked if Swans and Giants was on the Thursday or Friday. Won’t rate as high as the other games.

All the swans giants finals have been Saturday afternoons, even when they've finished first. I think it'll go:

Dogs v Hawks
Port v Geelong
Swans v giants
Lions vs

Dogs v hawks should get at least 80k plus

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My predictions:

Thur 7.30 Port v Geelong
Fri 7.40 Bulldogs v Hawks
Sat 3.20 Sydney v GWS
Sat 7.30 Brisbane v Carl/Freo

We'll find out soon!
Exactly what it should be every year. Means no 6 day breaks throughout the finals series and the QF losers get an extra break on their week 2 opponents

You would have assumed that Brisbane vs Carlton was the Saturday afternoon game to give Carlton reasonable time to fly home that night if they won.

The only MCG game not being on the Friday night feels strange in its own right.

I thought the following made the most sense, but sounds like it won't happen this way...

Thursday - Sydney vs GWS
Friday - Hawthorn vs Bulldogs
Saturday afternoon - Brisbane vs Carlton
Saturday night - Port vs Geelong

You would have assumed that Brisbane vs Carlton was the Saturday afternoon game to give Carlton reasonable time to fly home that night if they won.

The only MCG game not being on the Friday night feels strange in its own right.

I thought the following made the most sense, but sounds like it won't happen this way...

Thursday - Sydney vs GWS
Friday - Hawthorn vs Bulldogs
Saturday afternoon - Brisbane vs Carlton
Saturday night - Port vs Geelong

Why would the loser of 2v3 get a day less break than winner of 6v7?

Why would the loser of 2v3 get a day less break than winner of 6v7?

They won't. As I said earlier. There's two groups of timeslots. One is Thursday and Friday, the other is Saturday. And they're two groups of matchups. One is 1v4 and 5v8, the other is 2v3 and 6v7. One group of teams to one group of timeslots.

Given that Sportsbet leaked the Doggies v Hawkers fixture to be on Saturday twilight, it's probably going to play out like this:

Thursday Night: Sydney v GWS to avoid NRL finals clash
Friday Night: Brisbane v Carlton by going off Ralphy from the Herald Sun
Saturday Twilight: Bulldogs v Hawthorn because thanks sportsbet
Saturday Night: Port Adelaide v Geelong to cap things off

Remove this Banner Ad

Fixture Week 1 AFL finals

Remove this Banner Ad

Back