List Mgmt. Welcome Bailey Smith - officially (and finally) traded to Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

No doubt a great acquisition for the Cats. He’s a very good player (not yet a great player). Most of us here have changed jobs in our lives, not sure why people get so upset about it. People used to criticise Dangerfield for his questionable disposal, he goes alright.

In saying that, he still has a lot to prove and his me first attitude will need to evolve to succeed at Kardinia. He shamelessly took the piss with the Dogs this year and he can obviously do it again to anyone. Time will tell with this one. Any Dogs supporter that says he’s a spud or good riddance is kidding themselves. Likewise, any Cats supporter thinking the “Geelong system” will miraculously turn this self centred guy into Danger 2.0 is also kidding themselves.
Cheers - a very fair and balanced post 👍

All the best for next year.

No doubt a great acquisition for the Cats. He’s a very good player (not yet a great player). Most of us here have changed jobs in our lives, not sure why people get so upset about it. People used to criticise Dangerfield for his questionable disposal, he goes alright.

In saying that, he still has a lot to prove and his me first attitude will need to evolve to succeed at Kardinia. He shamelessly took the piss with the Dogs this year and he can obviously do it again to anyone. Time will tell with this one. Any Dogs supporter that says he’s a spud or good riddance is kidding themselves. Likewise, any Cats supporter thinking the “Geelong system” will miraculously turn this self centred guy into Danger 2.0 is also kidding themselves.
Agree with everything there. He's talented but he's going to be a lot of work

Consistently poor disposal. No defensive intensity. Coming off an ACL. Red flags everywhere, absolutely everywhere.

Honestly I will be surprised if this works out for you guys.

Sounds like you want salt with your fries

Andrew Mackie - cool hand Luke. Well done, didn’t get drawn in, toned down your natural trash talk when on the field (Sacred Heart boy ). We have a job to do with Smith but he will contribute NOW while Danger, Blitz, etc still have a juice, and then when they retire, he will still have at least 5 years more to go. Even his floor is better than a pick 17 may produce in 3 or 4 years. Clean, 18 months of preparation, well done Cats. Now lets get to some pick swapping from next year into now if we can and Wellsy the hell out of rounds 2, 3, and 4

I really don’t see any problems with Smith.
23yo
Elite athlete
Hungry to prove himself
Has the swag required to be a star
His best (eg 2021 Finals) is elite
Best marketing in the AFL
Any discipline issues will be guided by our leadership group and club values
Stick him straight in the guts!!
Suddenly our starting mf is any 3 of Danger, Holmes, Smith, C. Guthrie, followed by Atkins, Bowes, Clark, Bruhn and Clohesy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like you want salt with your fries

He knows full well he is about to fulfill his potential.

I think we get ourselves a line breaking player who will accommodate our playing list perfectly. With the decline of Duncan, Dangerfield and Guthrie, Holmes and now Smith have essentially replaced two of those players.

Another Dangerfield will be difficult to locate.

Our midfield is still going to need more than just Smith but we've landed the best available midfielder on the market for a modest price. Can't ask for more than that. Back over to you Scotty to turn water into wine.

Our midfield is still going to need more than just Smith but we've landed the best available midfielder on the market for a modest price. Can't ask for more than that. Back over to you Scotty to turn water into wine.

I'm factoring in the rise of Holmes who has developed into a player. So much so he could become one of the premier mids given his trajectory.
Holmes and Smith are going to be brilliant.

Ultimately think that we will need another A grade mid via trade. Butters or H.Reid or whoever. We may get lucky and land another Holmes but it’s unlikely.

I really don’t see any problems with Smith.
23yo
Elite athlete
Hungry to prove himself
Has the swag required to be a star
His best (eg 2021 Finals) is elite
Best marketing in the AFL
Any discipline issues will be guided by our leadership group and club values
Stick him straight in the guts!!
Suddenly our starting mf is any 3 of Danger, Holmes, Smith, C. Guthrie, followed by Atkins, Bowes, Clark, Bruhn and Clohesy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dempsey?

He knows full well he is about to fulfill his potential.

I think we get ourselves a line breaking player who will accommodate our playing list perfectly. With the decline of Duncan, Dangerfield and Guthrie, Holmes and now Smith have essentially replaced two of those players.

He's already located, just needs relocating from WA.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ultimately think that we will need another A grade mid via trade. Butters or H.Reid or whoever. We may get lucky and land another Holmes but it’s unlikely.
Yeah, we need three.

Looks like (well, hopefully) we have two now, but the third is the one that really puts you over the top.

Not quite there, but a big step in the right direction nonetheless.

Bruhn is the one we really need to go up a level next year.

When injury free he was consistently solid this year. It was a big step up from being a liability in the first half of 2023 and just passable in the second half.

He's got all the tools and another year improving on a similar trajectory can make him an excellent player with more still you come. He could provide the inside extraction to complement the explosiveness of Holmes and Smith.

Love Bowers development this year, also Bruhn. Hopefully this is Clarke’s breakout year, for some in tight smaller, quicker zip and add Smith as bigger inside/outside. I think ruck is an issue but the wild card is actually Mitch Edwards as an athletic ruck coming on later in the year. Ain’t it grand to support a club that wont lie down ?

Smith in the Hoops is going to be one interesting ride

He's definitely someone who seemingly marches to his own beat, but now he's ours and we'll get to see how he grows & matures in his new environment - could definitely be a case where having that slightly more mature squad profile has its benefits

Getting Smith in for a late first rounder and a slight downgrade of our second pick is a big win whichever way you look at it. Yes, there are reservations about him and he's not an elite talent out of the box who will have the same impact as a Danger or Cameron. However, he has already shown a capacity to play very high level football and is only 23 years old so a lot of time to add consistency to his game and to iron out behavioral issues.

He's a far better chance at making us a better side and being a long-term, productive player for us than the player we would have drafted at pick 17. So if the definition of succeeding in trade period is to come out of it with a net gain overall, upgrading the side without hurting it, then I think we can absolutely call this a win.

We didn't lose anyone we wanted. We lost a pick that is very unlikely to have landed a player the quality of Smith, who is proven, and we've retained out 2025 draft hand in totality.

While it's talked about as an area of current weakness, we now have a number of midfield players in that early 20s age bracket, Smith included, and it's going to be interesting to see how they develop and progress in the coming years and who of them ultimately comes out a lock in the side. Based on proven form, Smith and Holmes will be a quality pairing. If Bruhn and Clark can make some inroads next year that would really hold us in good stead for the future as well in terms of the midfield.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Welcome Bailey Smith - officially (and finally) traded to Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Back