List Mgmt. Welcome Bailey Smith - officially (and finally) traded to Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Bevo in a presser last year after a loss basically blamed the loss on the fact he hadn't made any changes for 3 weeks and i was WTF

The man can't coach without constantly shuffling players around.
It just goes to show that Bevo has no accountability if he’s looking for reasons for a loss and pinning it on stuff like this

I think there’s a good chance Geelong supporters will be a bit disappointed with Smith, at least in 2025.

That’s because (a) he’s not the superstar some think he is and (b) the ACL will be a drag.
That kind of thinking is not welcome around here

I think everyone has a realistic expectation of a player coming off a long term injury and having to adapt to a new gameplan…I think he will be fine at the very least it takes some pressure and opposition attention away from the kids to allow them to delvelop at their own pace and frees them up.
I must have interpreted the expectations on here differently to you.

Based on the reactions to the trade, some people on here think we have pulled off the heist of the century.

Based on the reactions to the trade, some people on here think we have pulled off the heist of the century.

Gave up pick 17 & 38 for a player who will play over 250 games for the club and we also get back pick 45 (probably comes down to 40 after all is said and done.

Obviously, if, and it's a big if, but if we turn pick 45 into a player who is in our best 22 by 2026, it is a masterstroke.

I must have interpreted the expectations on here differently to you.

By RD 13 2023, Smith was probably the 2nd best midfielder selected from the 2018 draft (behind Sam Walsh)

That draft contained -

1 - Walsh
5 - Rozee
7 - Smith
8 - T Thomas
9 - C Jones
11 - Caldwell
12 - Butters
14 - Hately
16 - McHenry
17 - Sturt
18 - Duursma

The second half of that season saw a pretty major drop off in performance from him (RD 1-13 ave 26.9 possessions 14-23 ave 18.9 possessions), and he was overtaken by both Rozee and Butters.

Then, obviously, 2024 was a wipe out..

That kind of thinking is not welcome around here
Look I’m 20 years into not drinking bath water and I’m not about to start now. You make a few enemies along the way. 🤷‍♂️

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We can't.
He is who he is.

As long as he remains level-headed off field, that's all we can ask for.
Look, I dont mean that we try to make him.
And to be honest, if he kicks 40 and has 30 goal assists I really won't care.

But by being around others like Danger, Stewart, Cameron that may just make him re-adjust on his own.
Thats where Selwood and Hawkins were so important I think.

I did like how he said he likes the idea of training and then hitting the beach.
Because we know Geelong run a completely different training regime. i.e. 'do what you want but get your training done'.

And if he sees others working their butt off and then hitting the golf course (for example) then I hope he falls into that mantra.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Welcome Bailey Smith - officially (and finally) traded to Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Back