List Mgmt. Welcome Campbell Chesser (Pick 14, 2021 National Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

He’d be a 100+ game player in his mid twenties now

We’ll never know whether he would’ve made it as a genuine AFL midfielder but he was quick and could use the ball well. Just needed to find the ball more regularly
The point being he would have been someone who sometimes struggled to find the ball playing in a dysfunctional team that struggled to win the ball. Would have been a polarising player too, I imagine

All the Chess haters, is it because he is like really, really, ridiculously good-looking?

ben stiller film GIF

I find the obsession insane, like, look internally, why do feel so strongly and certain about a 20 gamer kid?

Is CC definitely our new whipping boy now?

Anyway, I think it is fair to ask whether he would be in our first 22 if we had a fully fit line-up. I think it is also fair to say he hasn't yet had a breakout game that made the competition take notice. And - logically - fair to debate that given the body of evidence so far, whether this could be a bust especially given at the time there were plenty of other options at pick 14 we all were clamouring for and are now showing signs at their respective clubs.

I hope he shuts us all up with a BOG next weekend against Melbourne - but I'm not holding my breath. :huh:
I'm not sure we can put together a best 22 at the moment with AFL level players even if everyone is fully fit....

Chesser gets way too much negative attention on this board. He’s a 20yr old kid who is finding his way in an all time horrible WCE team. It’s not easy.

It’s impossible to hit on every draft pick and there’s every chance that he goes the way of Brander, but personally I’m pleased to see the match committee back him in and help develop his game.

He’s also being Reid’s best mate and helping him settle in WA.

Basically jubilant Campbell is the new jubilant Masto etc etc

Just wondering where you got this information.
Looking at the AFL site I found the following re ranking points for the 2024 season:
  • Hobbs 253.2
  • Johnson 161.5
  • Chesser 105.6
I think Chess is developing fine, but wondering if you could send me the link to where you got the player rating from in relation to your comments above.
What on earth are those ranking points haha. AFL player ratings are posted on Wheelo. Pretty easy to find once you know where.

A good question on wing role from Keys

Simmo talks about the specifics of wing role and how it is structurally important and can lead to low possession count.

Talks very specifically about the game being “straighter” ie teams not switching as much and wings running up and back for not much reward.

Simmo also spoke about this last week in his presser btw as it related to chesser.

6:08

AFL Rating points. Thanks for pointing us towards Wheelo

View attachment 1988575

Both AFL.com and wheelo use the same Champion Data AFL player rating system. Both platforms support what i have said here over and over again. Chesser is actually performing better than both Johnson and Hobbs.

Here’s screen shots from AfL.com for 2024 season from 3 players in question.

Chesser 6.9
79c00a3d7097777321fa366726ea0559.jpg

Johnson 5.1
4d5e0b8a85ec2a3b2ba01d767061719e.jpg

Hobbs 5.2
c262b22354c1faf06b7131723a90fc23.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Simmo's response to an avid fan's question on the Schodown yesterday(thanks Keys) explains the low possession count for wingers in the side.

Basically said it's a league-wide trend at the moment, where the wings will run up and down up to 15kms a game, yet only get 10-14 possessions, as most teams are going far more direct than previous years. Reckons the days of high-possession wingers are dead for the time being.

Harley Reid also has a below average disposals and below average kicks per game - are the people who want Chesser out of the side also wanting to get rid of Reid.

I did say that our new gameplan won't be the same for wingers, it would be nice if they can get them involved a bit more in transition.

I personally wouldn't have Hunt as a winger because I feel we're better off with him getting the ball more and taking the game on.

I think Chesser can elevate himself in the f50 if he can generate shots for himself pushing forward he can really impact the game.

He did just that on the weekend, although he missed.

I do recall Brad Hill having a massive purple patch with the Saints this year (could still be in it), but I am unsure what their style of play is to compare the two teams.

Harley Reid also has a below average disposals and below average kicks per game - are the people who want Chesser out of the side also wanting to get rid of Reid.
Trade bait at this stage of his career.

Has over 300 games experience from under 12's onwards so he should be getting 30+2 as a minimum.

I did say that our new gameplan won't be the same for wingers, it would be nice if they can get them involved a bit more in transition.

I personally wouldn't have Hunt as a winger because I feel we're better off with him getting the ball more and taking the game on.
People say the modern game of footy has changed a lot.
I say it hasn't.
If I was a coach at WCE I'd tell the boys to get it out of centre and take the shortest route to the goals.
Reid, Hall, Yeo and Hunt would be as good at getting it out of the centre quickly as any midfield.
Seeing Hunt on a wing doing nothing, Reid in the goal square twiddling his thumbs and Dom Sheed and Gaff trying to get a touch in the centre is not worth watching.
Meanwhile all the WCE Eagles coaches are happy for players like Gov to kick the ball out from goal into a pocket. A long kick to out of bounds on the wing. If lucky they get another kick forward to Waterman who takes a mark from 55m out and doesn't even think about turning around to see if someone's alone closer to the goal.
That's been happening for three years and it's woeful to say the least.
Hunt could still be on a wing because you can't have 12 players in the centre bouncdown, but he can help with that transition, as you say wce4premiership
But they don't. Both wingers just stand there waiting to see which way the ball will go.
I know which way it's going to go out of the centre unless the Eagles change their gameplan - straight to the opposition's goal!

People say the modern game of footy has changed a lot.
I say it hasn't.
If I was a coach at WCE I'd tell the boys to get it out of centre and take the shortest route to the goals.
Reid, Hall, Yeo and Hunt would be as good at getting it out of the centre quickly as any midfield.
Seeing Hunt on a wing doing nothing, Reid in the goal square twiddling his thumbs and Dom Sheed and Gaff trying to get a touch in the centre is not worth watching.
Meanwhile all the WCE Eagles coaches are happy for players like Gov to kick the ball out from goal into a pocket. A long kick to out of bounds on the wing. If lucky they get another kick forward to Waterman who takes a mark from 55m out and doesn't even think about turning around to see if someone's alone closer to the goal.
That's been happening for three years and it's woeful to say the least.
Hunt could still be on a wing because you can't have 12 players in the centre bouncdown, but he can help with that transition, as you say wce4premiership
But they don't. Both wingers just stand there waiting to see which way the ball will go.
I know which way it's going to go out of the centre unless the Eagles change their gameplan - straight to the opposition's goal!
I am far worse off as a person for reading this.

Both AFL.com and wheelo use the same Champion Data AFL player rating system. Both platforms support what i have said here over and over again. Chesser is actually performing better than both Johnson and Hobbs.

Here’s screen shots from AfL.com for 2024 season from 3 players in question.

Chesser 6.9
79c00a3d7097777321fa366726ea0559.jpg

Johnson 5.1
4d5e0b8a85ec2a3b2ba01d767061719e.jpg

Hobbs 5.2
c262b22354c1faf06b7131723a90fc23.jpg
Have they always had it on afl website? I swear it wasn’t for awhile so switched to wheelo. Good to know they aren’t hiding the data.

AFL Rating points. Thanks for pointing us towards Wheelo

View attachment 1988575
Yeah so when you sort it like that all you are doing is taking all their scores from their last 40 games added up. Not corrected for how many games played. So Chesser has played less than Hobbs so has way lower score. On average is higher this season tho.

Have they always had it on afl website? I swear it wasn’t for awhile so switched to wheelo. Good to know they aren’t hiding the data.

It’s honestly so hard to find. It seems be appear on the desktop version, but not the app and it is very hard to find from afl homepage.

Best way to get it is to go to a players profile, click full stats then “key stats” and “season 2024”.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back