List Mgmt. Welcome Harley Reid (Pick 1, 2023 National Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

An amazing first year.

Came to the club with all the expectations and has lived up to every single bit of it. He’s combative far beyond his years. Kicked amazing goals, taken hangers, fended off just about every star midfielder out there. A pleasure to watch.

We’ve had some very good footballers play for us over the journey, but I can’t recall the level of excitement in any player we have had in a first year player since our last #9.
He’s made us watchable, in a year when we had no right to be.

Say what you want about the rising star, but I can’t think of another this year (eligible or otherwise) that could even come close to capturing the imagination of a footballing state quite like Harley has.

Sucks watching him flourish and then we bend over to Adelaide while he tries his best to lift the side….then knowing what happens vs St K. All a little bit depressing after that - starts getting reamed by the umps, giving away lots of frees and then deciding to request a trade in a year

Sucks watching him flourish and then we bend over to Adelaide while he tries his best to lift the side….then knowing what happens vs St K. All a little bit depressing after that - starts getting reamed by the umps, giving away lots of frees and then deciding to request a trade in a year
Why'd you give your account to ep2018?

Always thought a young bash and crash player would have a quieter second half of the season with all the hits his young body was taking. Also, getting a tag after playing less than 10 games wouldn't have helped. With a little more maturity he'll learn to channel his frustration back into the contest rather than the umps, it's all a learning process.

JHF really did a number on ya'lls trade request paranoia, ay?

Whether anyone can admit it or not, we torched him a bit this year with overexpectations + the wrong role in our side. He spent way too much time winning the ball, way too much time in the guts and took way too much physical pressure with turncoats like Kelly/Duggan/BWill unable to help as more experienced bodies

Whoever is the new coach needs to change his role up to get the best out of him + protect him more. We need to get the guy some ****ing outside ball. The reason he was caught holding the ball so often at the end is because its tough to win your own ball and then shrug of tackles as a person who isnt hitting the ball with any speed or run due to picking it up. We need to handball the ball to the guy who can then go to work with his body in a better position to burst out of a pack.

Changes next year should be
1) Never and I mean EVER have Tim Kelly/Reid in the same midfield. Kelly needs to get the hell out of his wauy
2) A guy who can lay a sheppherd, stand over the ball and let Reid stay on the outside a bit more so he isnt doing the bullocking work, Would love it to be Peatling but yeah, it may be Jack Graham
3) More time deep forward. Jack Hutchison can train for some more midfield minutes with Reid able to rest forward a hell of alot more. Even if this means alot less midfield time, we need to prioritise longevity over carrying a bunch of overpaid potatoes.

New coach needs to do what Simmo didnt. Build the midfield around getting Reid handball receives and the way to do this is to tell Tim Kelly to play a new role up on HF or on a wing. If he is too lazy for any of these roles he can go to the WAFL and wait for a early retirement. This move would be the key to unlocking the best of Reid.

If we cant do any of the above, he will leave and Im not sure id blame him too much. No one wants to be a 19 year old carrying a team on your back in a role that doesnt suit you, because your teammates are too self entitled to sacrifice their own games to help teammates flourish

Whether anyone can admit it or not, we torched him a bit this year with overexpectations + the wrong role in our side. He spent way too much time winning the ball, way too much time in the guts and took way too much physical pressure with turncoats like Kelly/Duggan/BWill unable to help as more experienced bodies

Whoever is the new coach needs to change his role up to get the best out of him + protect him more. We need to get the guy some ****ing outside ball. The reason he was caught holding the ball so often at the end is because its tough to win your own ball and then shrug of tackles as a person who isnt hitting the ball with any speed or run due to picking it up. We need to handball the ball to the guy who can then go to work with his body in a better position to burst out of a pack.

Changes next year should be
1) Never and I mean EVER have Tim Kelly/Reid in the same midfield. Kelly needs to get the hell out of his wauy
2) A guy who can lay a sheppherd, stand over the ball and let Reid stay on the outside a bit more so he isnt doing the bullocking work, Would love it to be Peatling but yeah, it may be Jack Graham
3) More time deep forward. Jack Hutchison can train for some more midfield minutes with Reid able to rest forward a hell of alot more. Even if this means alot less midfield time, we need to prioritise longevity over carrying a bunch of overpaid potatoes.

New coach needs to do what Simmo didnt. Build the midfield around getting Reid handball receives and the way to do this is to tell Tim Kelly to play a new role up on HF or on a wing. If he is too lazy for any of these roles he can go to the WAFL and wait for a early retirement. This move would be the key to unlocking the best of Reid.

If we cant do any of the above, he will leave and Im not sure id blame him too much. No one wants to be a 19 year old carrying a team on your back in a role that doesnt suit you, because your teammates are too self entitled to sacrifice their own games to help teammates flourish
Couple of things wrong about this.
1. There is no universe or scenario where Harley will be given the reign to be an outside outlet mid. He will be closed checked everywhere. Put him in fremantle lineup he will still be closed checked. Place him in Power and I have a feeling he will still be closed checked.

2. Not everyone knows how to naturally play outside outlet mid. Look at Rowell he looks like a fish out of a water when he doesn't have the ball. I'm not saying Harley can't play outside outlet but he will never be given the reign to be this.

The only way to exploit all this is to recruit dangerous outlet recievers that can run riot when not being closed checked.

Couple of things wrong about this.
1. There is no universe or scenario where Harley will be given the reign to be an outside outlet mid. He will be closed checked everywhere. Put him in fremantle lineup he will still be closed checked. Place him in Power and I have a feeling he will still be closed checked.

2. Not everyone knows how to naturally play outside outlet mid. Look at Rowell he looks like a fish out of a water when he doesn't have the ball.
1. I agree with that but he will be simply too strong to not break that close checking. If he hits the ball with a bit of movement and you try to close check him. He is going to one arm you into the ground and run away. Dusty had close checking his whole career too and his best was him receiving that ball and bursting away from the pack that way. Richmond always had people doing his dirty work

2. Im not suggesting a outside midfield role in its entirety. Im just saying he needs to be more outside then he has been. I think its more of say a 5/5 scenario here. Its a case of mixing it up. I think Tim Kelly does that too for example. You dont spend 10 out of 10 contests in and under trying to win the ball like he did this year. For some of them you simply drift outside to win the handball/run around to get that handball. He will take his player out of that spot for sure and it becomes a 2 on 2 scenario. When he gets that handball he will be in a great spot to shove the guy off and burtst away

I think you bring up the issue also. He spent his year playing like Matt Rowell. He should have spent his time playing like Dusty Martin/Bont/N.Daicos ...

Even Simmo said "we tried him off half back but needed him in the middle"

He literally could play anywhere and star.

Very keen for mid/HFF role

Reckon he kicks 30+ with more time up fwd

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm pleased his development and our development of Harley. It's all up from here.

I don't want his development to change. He is on the path to be a mid leader.

He has been thrown in deep end but I think it's good learnings from that. Full steam ahead and continue on this path

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lol expert level bedwetting here

Gaiz, gaiz....

Leave this to me

Sucks watching him flourish and then we bend over to Adelaide while he tries his best to lift the side….then knowing what happens vs St K. All a little bit depressing after that.... Starts...

Will Smith Slap GIF by Nightingale

Whether anyone can admit it or not,

Fantastic way to open a post. Basically allows you to win any argument against what you said - coz the person disagreeing with you just doesn't want to admit it.

Didn't read the rest of it after that.

In what way are they turncoats?

Put me in the basket of unable to admit that we "torched him". He was fine, he is probably playing pretty much as he wants to, which is on ball.

No injuries, got rested mid year, spent time up forward. Faded a little bit immediately after his suspension but finished with two strong games.

Harely will get better results even if he doesn’t improve his individual game next year, as long as our midfield improves around him. No 19-year-old should be carrying the main load of AFL side straight away in the midfield. If we get some decent bash and crash mids around him to protect him, he will step up another level with time and space.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Welcome Harley Reid (Pick 1, 2023 National Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back