List Mgmt. Welcome Jack Hutchinson (Pick 3, 2024 MSD)

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it’s not that we have a mostly untalented list but rather we’re still finding where the best positions are for many players.

Ginbey might be a good half back. Hutch might be a good midfielder. Maric looks AFL standard but where? Same for Chesser. BWill might be AFL standard but (obviously) not as a first ruck. Dewar? Johnston? Hall? Brockman? Long?

(Or it might be TK to HFF or Yeo to HBF etc.)

I’d rather we’re experimenting shuffling these guys around rather than taking the easy way out by selecting ‘nearly’ players like Petro or Witho. (Or JD or Sheed.)
And this is why yet again I'm calling for a disbanding of the WAFL team and salting the earth at Mineral Resources Park. You can't possibly learn anything from our players in the reserves because the whole club is too poor to get any genuine reading.

I think it’s not that we have a mostly untalented list but rather we’re still finding where the best positions are for many players.

Ginbey might be a good half back. Hutch might be a good midfielder. Maric looks AFL standard but where? Same for Chesser. BWill might be AFL standard but (obviously) not as a first ruck. Dewar? Johnston? Hall? Brockman? Long?

I’d rather we’re experimenting shuffling these guys around rather than taking the easy way out by selecting ‘nearly’ players like Petro or Witho. (Or JD or Sheed.)
But why wasn’t hutch played as an inside mid in the wafl? Thats the point I’m making. He was mediocre in his wafl role so the next step should have been to play him as an inside mid at that level.

It’s great that it worked but he was set up to fail.

Defence. I don't understand the obsession with playing tall medium paced guys close to the ball drop. Maric is good enough overhead, a beautiful kick and makes good decisions especially by hand. He has all the ingredients for being a great defender and just needs to be trained there. Once he's got that base, then use him like Sicily and swing him up the ground if needed.

Hutch is much more versatile and if he's got height, pace and can kick a goal then the best place to start him should be on the wing.

Was Hutch basically playing Amo's last year?
If so it is a remarkable story to be only needing half a season in the VFL to be good enough to be picked up by an AFL club and then getting a few game under the belt at the highest level. Fair enough in one of the weaker teams but still.

He must have some talent and drive, 2 very important things to naturally have.

But why wasn’t hutch played as an inside mid in the wafl? Thats the point I’m making. He was mediocre in his wafl role so the next step should have been to play him as an inside mid at that level.

It’s great that it worked but he was set up to fail.
He might have been training in there who knows and well done Scofield for trying something. It wasn't like the game or the season was on the line.

Defence. I don't understand the obsession with playing tall medium paced guys close to the ball drop. Maric is good enough overhead, a beautiful kick and makes good decisions especially by hand. He has all the ingredients for being a great defender and just needs to be trained there. Once he's got that base, then use him like Sicily and swing him up the ground if needed.

Hutch is much more versatile and if he's got height, pace and can kick a goal then the best place to start him should be on the wing.
Agree with both. Perfect wing prospect imo. Strong overhead, clean off the deck, bit of dash and goal sense.

Really hope we use Maric as either the other wing or third tall defender as you suggest

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Welcome Jack Hutchinson (Pick 3, 2024 MSD)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back