Player Watch Welcome James Blanck. Extends to 2026!

Remove this Banner Ad

He's about 22yrs old with 25x games (give or take).

I reckon his next step (over the next 75ish games) is to develop into an elite stopper & work through his positioning deficiencies so that he's the bedrock of a Team Defensive Unit.

This. We have enough players who create play from the back line - Blanck's job will be to mark/bring the ball to ground and get it to them.

I am wondering where Blancky sits in the clubs plans with indicators that one or more key defenders could be coming in over the off season.
The club seemed to be super excited where Blancky was at the start of this year and a knee shouldnt really change that.
But has it?

Any new additions must impact his spot in the team for next year and beyond.
He is only 23 and could be that KPD that the club is looking for.

I am wondering where Blancky sits in the clubs plans with indicators that one or more key defenders could be coming in over the off season.
The club seemed to be super excited where Blancky was at the start of this year and a knee shouldnt really change that.
But has it?

Still very much in the mix I’d say. Let’s be realistic, it’s highly unlikely we’d get both Barrass and Battle.

Let’s say we get Barrass, the backline becomes Sis, Blanck, Barrass, taking pressure off Scrim and allowing Weds to go onto the ball more.

That looks pretty damn good I reckon.

But has it?

I think it could be a win for Blanck. As you say - he's only 23 and the pressure of coming back from an ACL and being a KPD in an improving side would be immense. I think acquiring Barrass would be great for him as it would provide a mentor for him to develop back at Box Hill and gain his confidence back post-ACL recovery.

I think it could be a win for Blanck. As you say - he's only 23 and the pressure of coming back from an ACL and being a KPD in an improving side would be immense. I think acquiring Barrass would be great for him as it would provide a mentor for him to develop back at Box Hill and gain his confidence back post-ACL recovery.
Yep, means we won't have to rush him back and he'll have a couple of elite defenders to play alongside and learn from

Just read he’s been suffering setbacks, infections and stuff, and may even possibly be doubtful for rd 1. I like him and badly hope he succeeds, but we need to have the pieces in place at the start of next year.

Barass and/or Battle, come on down…

They hope he's "running by December"

That's a very poor recovery by any measure.

I'm a bit worried, tbh... ACLs are an uncertain thing at the best of time, let alone with repeated infections. If he's still at this stage seven-eight months after the injury...hmmmmm

They hope he's "running by December"

That's a very poor recovery by any measure.

I'm a bit worried, tbh... ACLs are an uncertain thing at the best of time, let alone with repeated infections. If he's still at this stage seven-eight months after the injury...hmmmmm
Yeah, still another 3-4 months before he is “hopefully” running again so it could be even longer.

I hope things come good and we see him back to his best next year.

Was it 5 surgeries due to complications? Surely not
Alex Johnson had close to 20 surgeries over 4 years with his knee injury due to issues with infection, it's very rare but it does happen. Wanna be positive about this stuff but as far as news on a reconstruction goes it's one of the last things you'd wanna hear.

The news was kept off broadway, but can unfortunately confirm the knee issues post-surgery are true for Blancky. :(

He has had an incredibly unlucky run, but he is working hard to get back. Keeping my fingers crossed!!
That’s a shame, good kid and I like him. Hope he recovers okay now, has a very bright future at Hawthorn.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sounds like we will take the cautious approach and bring him back slowly, let him get strong and not create any other risks. Fingers crossed the next recovery phase goes well, will have a lot to offer on his return

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Welcome James Blanck. Extends to 2026!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back