Welcome Welcome Josh Draper!! - 2022 Cat B Rookie List

Remove this Banner Ad

Unsurprising given he was also a basketball player.
Basketball background you say?

Excited Thomas Lennon GIF by ABC Network

It is quite interesting amid all of the NGA discussions that the only two that we have recruited successfully are in the NGA program due to African bloodlines and not aboriginal.
I think the fact more indigenous players aren't coming through is a legitimate issue for the league however they want to balance the NGAs.

Reckon there'd be at least a dozen HoF level talents across the country that just don't have a pathway.

It is quite interesting amid all of the NGA discussions that the only two that we have recruited successfully are in the NGA program due to African bloodlines and not aboriginal.
WCE are the same. Was chatting to the father of one of the NGA boys for WCE (sad for the kid because he worships Fyfe). He is Indian and told me the majority in the WCE academy are now African.

Reduction in Aboriginal recruitment/representation is a league-wide issue mostly. We've dropped right off in our representation, but we have had to contend with plagiarists like Carlton and the Saints whiteanting in the shadows.

Reduction in Aboriginal recruitment/representation is a league-wide issue mostly. We've dropped right off in our representation, but we have had to contend with plagiarists like Carlton and the Saints whiteanting in the shadows.
there is another aspect to it which is demographics.

the african australian community is about half the indigenous group but i suspect is far far younger than the african australian community. which means i think from ages 10 to 18 there isn't too much difference.

which means the 60 odd indigenous players in the league will soon be equaled by the african community.

there is another aspect to it which is demographics.

the african australian community is about half the indigenous group but i suspect is far far younger than the african australian community. which means i think from ages 10 to 18 there isn't too much difference.

which means the 60 odd indigenous players in the league will soon be equaled by the african community.
Indigenous numbers on AFL lists have reduced pure and simple. Whereas the aim would be to have them growing year on year... not be one disadvantaged group sacrificed due to the growth of other disadvantaged groups.

I think the fact more indigenous players aren't coming through is a legitimate issue for the league however they want to balance the NGAs.

Reckon there'd be at least a dozen HoF level talents across the country that just don't have a pathway.
Conrad Williams is a prime example for Freo to point to. He needs to be able to sit as Cat B rookie until like 25 at no list or cap cost short of playing like 10 AFL games.

We can all see the talent but the kid needs time

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Indigenous numbers on AFL lists have reduced pure and simple. Whereas the aim would be to have them growing year on year... not be one disadvantaged group sacrificed due to the growth of other disadvantaged groups.
ah yeah fair. and i agree with everything you've written.

but, in the case of the nga it might be. freo isn't going to have a 100 person nga.

This is sort of an aside from Draper but at the end of the day, I hope JLo backs in his youth a bit more from here on in. In particular, if we lose Darcy through injury I would love him to back in Reidy....

I agree with your sentiments regarding JLo backing the young players. It's critical for us at this stage to find out who the keepers are and either develop or delist the others.

We were brave when we selected Jye Amiss in a final against the Bulldogs and that selection has worked a treat. Draper has shown some good signs of plenty of talent so just play him and let him flourish.

WCE are the same. Was chatting to the father of one of the NGA boys for WCE (sad for the kid because he worships Fyfe). He is Indian and told me the majority in the WCE academy are now African.
In 5./ 10 years they will be dominating football. So athletic and understand and read the game very well.

Might have to change my buddy tag to Josh Draper 2025 Freo premiership defender, thats how well this kid is coming along. In my mind, he is officially tracking a year ahead of schedule.

This is HUGE for our chances going forward and has the potential to release Chapman from the backline to join his partner in crime Young, further up the ground.

I can now clearly see a scenario, perhaps as early as next year after one more preseason, where we play tall with Moose, Cox and Drapes as our 3 KPDs, our run provided by Ryan, Clark, Walker and Aish/Wagner.

Thats a good backline and Im drooling to see Chappie dominate in the air and on the ground on the wing.

Bring it on!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back