Welcome Welcome To Freo Josh Corbett!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Andy Murray had a hip replacement in 2019 and has since been competitive on the pro circuit. Ranked 50 I think, not bad at 37 yr with a metal hip. Not a contact sport though.
Now it makes sense to me that Corbett was training right up to the time of surgery.

Andy Murray had a hip replacement in 2019 and has since been competitive on the pro circuit. Ranked 50 I think, not bad at 37 yr with a metal hip. Not a contact sport though.
Now it makes sense to me that Corbett was training right up to the time of surgery.
that's promising

The thing that interests me about his story is that he was playing AFL only a few weeks before he went in for surgery, and he pretty much played his part. He wasn't brilliant by any means, but he had a couple of serviceable games, including 7 marks and 2 goals against Geelong.

So, if he was able to do that with a hip that was needing to be replaced... is there some chance that he could be a decent player if he somehow manages to return to AFL with a fully operational hip?

What would that mean for end of year list management? It all seems very unlikely, I know, but the club seems to be really supporting his goal of returning to AFL.

The thing that interests me about his story is that he was playing AFL only a few weeks before he went in for surgery, and he pretty much played his part. He wasn't brilliant by any means, but he had a couple of serviceable games, including 7 marks and 2 goals against Geelong.

So, if he was able to do that with a hip that was needing to be replaced... is there some chance that he could be a decent player if he somehow manages to return to AFL with a fully operational hip?

What would that mean for end of year list management? It all seems very unlikely, I know, but the club seems to be really supporting his goal of returning to AFL.
you wouldn't think they would invest this much into him if they felt he wasn't worth it

The thing I was told with hip replacements and the reason why I couldn’t play anymore was because the running action with the bone rubbing on the titanium ball slowly wears it down and is not good for it, without running/physical sports you can get 15/20 years out of a hip replacement but you can only have 3/4 in your life time, so if he does come back and want to risk it, it’s a pretty big risk and can effect his life after footy really massively

He was never quick to begin with. I reckon his 2013 season was his best for the club. His 2010 season was probably more impactful but that was very much contextual
He was quick though, just never looked like it because of his waddle. I’m sure I’ve seen it said that he ran 20 metres under 3 seconds, but can’t find it. This article however says:

‘Endurance is his pet subject, yet at the state screening trials that year, the "wounded duck" ranked in the top 5 per cent over 20 metres.’

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back