Welcome Welcome Josh Draper!! - 2022 Cat B Rookie List

Remove this Banner Ad

Just watched the segment on the Sunday Footy show.

Full credit to Matthew Boyd & I’m sure the rest of the backline group. Draper has come a long way in a short period of time & his positioning in many pressure situations was fantastic. I’m sure Alex Pearce deserves a lot of the credit, no doubt he’s worked closely with him over the last couple of seasons.

Will be as good or better player for Freo than Michael Johnson.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Josh Draper reveals WAFL reality check resulted in his game saving heroics against Sydney​

If not for a WAFL reality check, Josh Draper doesn’t believe that he would’ve been capable of his game saving heroics against Sydney writes ELIZA REILLY.

3 min read
July 3, 2024 - 7:57PM

0 Comments

SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA – JUNE 29: Joel Amartey of the Swans competes for the ball against Joshua Draper of the Dockers during the round 16 AFL match between Sydney Swans and Fremantle Dockers at SCG, on June 29, 2024, in Sydney, Australia. (Photo by Matt King/AFL Photos/via Getty Images)

SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA – JUNE 29: Joel Amartey of the Swans competes for the ball against Joshua Draper of the Dockers during the round 16 AFL match between Sydney Swans and Fremantle Dockers at SCG, on June 29, 2024, in Sydney, Australia. (Photo by Matt King/AFL Photos/via Getty Images)

He was the hero of Fremantle’s incredible upset win over Sydney.
But if not for being omitted a fortnight ago, Josh Draper wouldn’t have been brave enough to save the game against Sydney.
Stepping up in the absence of captain Alex Pearce, the 20-year-old made a series of clutch plays in the dying minutes against Sydney, including two intercept marks and a handful of spoils against Sydney tall Hayden McLean.
McLean had kicked two goals and reeled in seven marks before the final quarter kicked off at the SCG. And if not for a WAFL reality check, Draper doesn’t believe that he would’ve attacked the contest so feverishly in the last five minutes.
“It was around being more decisive in my contest and I thought I brought that in the Sydney game,” Draper said of the feedback he received after being dropped before in favour of debutant Hugh Davies. “It was good for me to go through that and work on my game and get better.

“My mindset changed. When I got dropped, I went back to the drawing board and really changed my mindset.
“I wanted to be confident. I’m only young. I’m only in my second year. I’m only going to keep building.
“It was an unreal win to be a part of. To get the win at the SCG was pretty crazy. I’ll remember it for the rest of my career.”
Stand-in captain Andrew Brayshaw was full of praise for Draper’s final quarter, lauding his ability to stand up under pressure.
“He was in a really vulnerable position on a number of occasions and he was able to hold his own and win it,” Brayshaw said. “I love playing with Drapes. He backs himself in.
“When he does that, he’s a really hard opponent to play on. It’s not an easy position (to be in), some of those looks that he had.
“We probably hung him out to dry a few times in one-on-ones but he was able to stand up, win those one-on-ones and get us going the other way again.”

Despite finding himself in precarious positions against McLean, Draper revealed it was instinct, not by design, that he played in front of the 197cm spearhead.
“My strength is my athleticism so I tried to get the ball at the highest point,” he said. “That’s what I did.”
The display also marked a significant step in Draper’s development given the last time he was under that much pressure, he conceded a final quarter goal to Charlie Curnow that kickstarted Carlton’s last-gasp win in round four.
“A game that comes to my mind is the Carlton game,” Draper said. “I guess it was good to go through those experiences early in my career.
SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA – JUNE 29: Joshua Draper and [PLAYERCARD]Sean Darcy[/PLAYERCARD] of the Dockers competes for the ball against [PLAYERCARD]Hayden McLean[/PLAYERCARD] of the Swans during the round 16 AFL match between Sydney Swans and Fremantle Dockers at SCG, on June 29, 2024, in Sydney, Australia. (Photo by Matt King/AFL Photos/via Getty Images)

SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA – JUNE 29: Joshua Draper and Sean Darcy of the Dockers competes for the ball against Hayden McLean of the Swans during the round 16 AFL match between Sydney Swans and Fremantle Dockers at SCG, on June 29, 2024, in Sydney, Australia. (Photo by Matt King/AFL Photos/via Getty Images)

“It’s going to make me a better player. I thought I stood tall and that was off the back of my teammates as well, setting me up in the right spots.”
Draper was snubbed for an AFL Rising Star nomination this week in favour of Gold Coast’s Will Graham though it’s not something that’s played on his mind.
“I don’t really care about the Rising Star award,” he said. “I keep focusing on my role each week.”
Draper is also set to soon be under pressure to retain his spot in the side once Pearce and Brennan Cox return from injury lay-offs. But the NGA academy graduate said that the skipper has been a big factor in his development this season.
“He’s been very good for me,” he said. “I’ve been having conversations with him and he’s been giving me confidence to go out there and play his role.
“He said (before the Sydney game) to play to my strengths and to keep being me and keep doing what I’m doing. It’s okay to make a mistake and lose a contest but to get back up and get going.
“I’ll take it one week at a time. We’re a big loving group down there. I’ll keep learning every week and getting better.”

Josh’s poise, football skills, decision making and confidence belie his young age.

He’s a Michael Johnson clone who wears his jumper number with pride.

What an asset for our Club.

Really good interview with Draper. Not too many cliches. Told us how he
approached the task at hand during the last quarter and how he has felt since.
The inclusion of Brayshaw’s words of praise was an additional plus.

Draper has debuted at a similar age to the great MJ. MJ preseason draft 2004. Played a few games 2005. Goal with 1st kick? Never dropped from 2006 on. Played a few at Perth/Peel coming from injury, suspension?
Sitting at same table as Coach 2006 preseason, Coach remarked that his plan was to play MJ in defence as he kicked the ball so well.
That worked I think.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back