Welcome Welcome to Adelaide: Alex Neal-Bullen - Traded for Pick 28

Will ANB replace Murphy?

• Yes, Neal-Bullen will push Murphy out of the side

• No, Nicks will pick both Neal-Bullen and Murphy

• No, Murphy will play with Neal-Bullen playing SANFL as depth

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Alex Neal-Bullen on why he backflipped on never coming home to South Australia​

Six months after declaring he would “never” return to South Australia, Alex Neal-Bullen was unveiled as a Crows player. He reveals what changed to prompt his SA homecoming.

Don't miss out on the headlines from AFL. Followed categories will be added to My News.
unfollow
Alex Neal-Bullen stood alongside Crows captain Jordan Dawson at Adelaide Oval before Gather Round and was defiant when asked if he had ever been close to returning home.
“Never,” Neal-Bullen said in April.
Six months on, the 2021 Melbourne premiership player was unveiled as a Crow on Tuesday after securing a trade 24 hours earlier, for pick 28.
That Gather Round press conference was on Neal-Bullen’s mind as he drove to West Lakes to front the media about his move, but he insisted that was an honest answer at the time.

“As the year’s panned out and my family dynamics have changed a little bit, the possibility to come home presented itself once I voiced to Melbourne footy club I had a desire to move back to South Australia,” Neal-Bullen, who requested a trade for personal reasons.
“It’s funny you mention that because driving out here I’m like ‘the last time I did a presser someone asked me would I come home and I said never’.
“Twelve months is a long time in footy.
“Our family is really supportive.
“My family and my wife’s family became diehard Melbourne fans but they were closeted Adelaide Crows fans so I’m pretty confident it’s not going to take too much to unlock the Crows guernseys and scarfs to come out again.”

Neal-Bullen will be the only premiership player on a Crows team that has not made the finals since 2017.

The 28-year-old’s big-game experience was part of the appeal for Adelaide in targeting him.

“I don’t walk around thinking I’m a premiership player,” he said.

“I was so fortunate to be part of that group but my sole focus is to understand what the Adelaide footy club is about, what they stand for week to week, day to day, and get right in behind that.”
Neal-Bullen, who was drafted at pick 40 in 2014, said once he and his wife decided late in the season they wanted to return to SA, it was only ever going to be the Crows.

“My number one priority was always to come home for family reasons and when Adelaide came with an opportunity, being an Adelaide Crows fan growing up – I used to come to AAMI Stadium to watch footy – the little boy in me was jumping up and down,” he said.

“To be here now, I’m so grateful.
“I always understood where Adelaide were at (coming off a 15th-placed finish).

“What excites me is that everyone here has got a hunger and desire to get this footy club moving in a great direction, which they’ve already started.”

Neal-Bullen was with Crows high-performance boss Darren Burgess at the Demons but did not know too many other people at the club.

He named fellow half-forward Ben Keays as someone he looked forward to playing alongside, highlighting his professionalism and journey from delisted free agent to his best-and-fairest win last week.

It's overs that's why Melbourne agreed so early, by comparison Melbourne only offered up what was expected to be a late second for mcadam who is a more talented player in same age bracket. Probably a reflection of reid knowing he has to get results so is eager to get some experience in and a lack of faith in hamish's drafting that he'd blow the pick anyway
I dont think McAdam is even as talented as ANB, let alone more talented.

Also it was literally the same pick.

If he was fit he got selected usually, but to be honest i haven't seen enough of neal-bullen to really make a proper judgement. But I take your point perhaps neale-bullen has rounded his game to be a more consistent and reliable performer doing the one percenters etc, whereas mcadam is more enigmatic as is often the way with the more talented types
McAdam will never...ever finish third in a club bnf.

44 players at Melbourne. ANB according to this season was better than almost all of them.

He might even flourish here without having as many superstars to compete against. Better positioning and opportunities sort of thing.

I'm sure we'll be very happy with the trade, even at pick 28.

Was excited about him until he said he was looking forward to playing with Lachie Murphy and that his favourite player growing up was Robert Shirley.

LYON HAILS ANB IMPACT ON DEMONS

Tim Michell

Garry Lyon has hailed Alex Neal-Bullen’s off-field impact during his time at Melbourne after the premiership winner officially sealed his move to Adelaide on Monday.
Lyon said the Crows would be “a better footy club for having him” after sealing a deal which sent pick 28 to the Demons in exchange for the 28-year-old.
“He will be as much value to Adelaide off the field as he will on it,” Lyon said on SEN.
“That’s the thing that struck me (the most). He’s a terrific heart-and-soul player who played to his absolute maximum every time he played.
“Was he the best player in the team? No. Third in the best-and-fairest though. That talks to his consistency.
“But off field his impact on that footy club, his leadership, the way that he handled himself, his connection, I think he was the conduit between them and the past players. He’s that sort of heart-and-soul players. For the Adelaide Crows…you’re just going to be a better footy club for having him.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Love that Kane Cornes is salty about this trade.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Salty?
He’s literally saying well done to us.

Salty?
He’s literally saying well done to us.

He’s salty at Melbourne, he thinks that they have given him away for well unders

Listening to ANB you can already feel the impact he will have on the group, and give our Captain some much needed on-field leadership support

The way he spoke about relating to the players in the seconds, can’t recall any of our leaders talking about these players like that.

Would have been interesting if he was here for the Rachelle debacle.

The way he spoke about relating to the players in the seconds, can’t recall any of our leaders talking about these players like that.

Would have been interesting if he was here for the Rachelle debacle.
I don't think he'd have got in the bus that drove over Josh.

More of a "put your arms around the bloke" type, or it seems that way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Welcome to Adelaide: Alex Neal-Bullen - Traded for Pick 28

Back