Welcome Welcome to Collingwood Harry Perryman

Remove this Banner Ad

Bit different when you KNOW your team is actively cheating in a test match to not stopping your teammate from making offensive jokes at a private event

The whole "private" thing makes me laugh in terms of the messaging. They booked a room at a public venue. When the **** has booking a room at a public venue mean you're not out in public...

Comparisons of the AFL with other workplaces is flawed. The AFL have their own rules and regulations across the board that wouldn't stand up in any other corporate environment. That doesn't mean that I condone them... quite the contrary, I have a very solid loathing for the way the AFL insert themselves into social and civil arenas and feel compelled to direct social commentary and direction. This is largely a result of the obligations around State and Federal Government funding however.
I try not to get too caught up in the politics of the AFL and like to limit my exposure to the actual game. This can be a very difficult line to draw, though.

I think the most bizarre thing about this issue is how their minds even went to those places?

Like, if the theme is "iconic couples" or "iconic couple disasters" or whatever, how does your brain go to the twin towers? Jarrad Hayne? P Diddy et al?

I instantly think "Brangelina", "Ben and Jen", maybe if you want ot have a "dark joke" or edgy or something have one of the players dress as Elizabeth Taylor and have like 7 other players alongside?

But to go to those places is what's more concerning

Not gonna lie though, I'm kinda glad to see that smart ass Cooper Hamilton cop it. Was on board with his genuinely humourous stuff on socials until he developed a kinda weird Collingwood obsession

I think the most bizarre thing about this issue is how their minds even went to those places?

Like, if the theme is "iconic couples" or "iconic couple disasters" or whatever, how does your brain go to the twin towers? Jarrad Hayne? P Diddy et al?

I instantly think "Brangelina", "Ben and Jen", maybe if you want ot have a "dark joke" or edgy or something have one of the players dress as Elizabeth Taylor and have like 7 other players alongside?

But to go to those places is what's more concerning

Not gonna lie though, I'm kinda glad to see that smart ass Cooper Hamilton cop it. Was on board with his genuinely humourous stuff on socials until he developed a kinda weird Collingwood obsession
2 words. Shock value. Plain and simple that’s all it is. Whoever can get the biggest laugh from their mates is a hero at these things

2 words. Shock value. Plain and simple that’s all it is. Whoever can get the biggest laugh from their mates is a hero at these things
Yep. You've got to be that little bit more outrageous - just creep that little bit further each time. And before you know it you're dressed as a rapist humping an inflatable doll on stage and copping a suspension from the AFL. Could have happened to anyone ...

That's their media machine. I really like them. And I quite like that they're aiming high by trying to create some GWS Collingwood thing.

That's their media machine. I really like them. And I quite like that they're aiming high by trying to create some GWS Collingwood thing.

That's fine, but a lot of it just became....weird

Like, they'd bring us up even when we weren't involved in anything

It felt more like a genuine creepy obsession. Bringing us up even when playing other teams.

Either way, karma's a bitch I guess

Yep. You've got to be that little bit more outrageous - just creep that little bit further each time. And before you know it you're dressed as a rapist humping an inflatable doll on stage and copping a suspension from the AFL. Could have happened to anyone ...
Im not condoning it im just saying how shit is. Take it as you will

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im not condoning it im just saying how shit is. Take it as you will
I'm agreeing with you. Give them a penalty. But they're just young blokes pushing at a black comedy line. Don't carry on as though they're somehow terrible people because they got the line wrong.

I'm agreeing with you. Give them a penalty. But they're just young blokes pushing at a black comedy line. Don't carry on as though they're somehow terrible people because they got the line wrong.
It sounds like they all got the lines and had too much. They got the right punishment in the end. It's was a bizarre event .

Comparisons of the AFL with other workplaces is flawed. The AFL have their own rules and regulations across the board that wouldn't stand up in any other corporate environment. That doesn't mean that I condone them... quite the contrary, I have a very solid loathing for the way the AFL insert themselves into social and civil arenas and feel compelled to direct social commentary and direction. This is largely a result of the obligations around State and Federal Government funding however.
I try not to get too caught up in the politics of the AFL and like to limit my exposure to the actual game. This can be a very difficult line to draw, though.
Are you saying that what the GWS players did would be OK in a corporate environment?

It sounds like they all got the lines and had too much. They got the right punishment in the end. It's was a bizarre event .
I grew listening to Derek and Clive and laughing about them singing "He's got cancer of the arseh*le. He's got cancer of the knob "

I don't find it bizarre. I like irreverent humour. They just pushed too far.

I grew listening to Derek and Clive and laughing about them singing "He's got cancer of the arseh*le. He's got cancer of the knob "

I don't find it bizarre. I like irreverent humour. They just pushed too far.
I don't mind that sort of humour, they did push it too far. To be honest, I've never been that drunk in my life so I probably don't understand the situation. The only time I got drunk was 1990 and I ended up in hospital because my stomach and body can't handle it. I want to get drunk quite a bit but you don't miss what you've never really had

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Welcome to Collingwood Harry Perryman

Remove this Banner Ad

Back