Universal Love Welcome to Freo- Josh Treacy

Remove this Banner Ad

Athletically and versatility wise it is hard to compare him to Thilthorpe in terms of draft outcomes; you are comparing 195cm with one that is 200cm, and whilst both are quick (both sub 2 seconds for 20m which is very fast for big men) but Thilthorpe is again even quicker that and has a better jump. In a recruiters eyes, Thilthorpe is also very versatile and can play both ruck and forward; this gets you even more draft day points as a tall prospect. Still Treacy's speed is above average for AFL.

A better comparison at the top end would be Logan McDonald as a player who is only going to play forward; Logan had an outstanding season beating men and being right up the top of the goal kickers in the WAFL. Whilst both are really good kicks on goal, McDonald gets his goals through a range of different ways, whereas Treacy as far as I can see he relies very heavily on lead-up mark and goal, which you can't rely on in AFL proper (he does seem to have the body to do other things though). McDonald also has for years been able to get a run on on goals and kick large numbers in the one game; which is an area Treacy doesn't do yet.

The other one would be Jamarra Ugle Hagan; both are the same size, speed and dedicated key forward types, but Ugle Hagan gets his goals again in many different ways (massive overhead marking, crumbing etc.) has a massive leap, and can play like both a small and a tall forward. Worse comes to worse, Ugle Hagan can probably play wing or in the backline; Treacy can't do that. Again Treacy loses out on the versatility of how he can get those goals, versatility of position and doesn't have the raw X factor the Ugle Hagan has.

If he had kicked say 6 or 7 goals for Vic Country, then I think he could have elevated himself into the conversation for a pick 30s - 60s (Shannon Neale territory where he is slightly versatile than Shannon Neale about as athletic but has more results, also has the advantage over Neale of coming from the state with the most clubs). However, I think had the U18s gone ahead, a lot of the ball movement would have been drawn to Ugle Hagan and so it would have been difficult for him to put those results on the board.

I guess everything you have jotted down points to Treacy developing - maturing super quick over a very short period of time. Calculated decision by the club.

Athletically and versatility wise it is hard to compare him to Thilthorpe in terms of draft outcomes; you are comparing 195cm with one that is 200cm, and whilst both are quick (both sub 2 seconds for 20m which is very fast for big men) but Thilthorpe is again even quicker that and has a better jump. In a recruiters eyes, Thilthorpe is also very versatile and can play both ruck and forward; this gets you even more draft day points as a tall prospect. Still Treacy's speed is above average for AFL.

A better comparison at the top end would be Logan McDonald as a player who is only going to play forward; Logan had an outstanding season beating men and being right up the top of the goal kickers in the WAFL. Whilst both are really good kicks on goal, McDonald gets his goals through a range of different ways, whereas Treacy as far as I can see he relies very heavily on lead-up mark and goal, which you can't rely on in AFL proper (he does seem to have the body to do other things though). McDonald also has for years been able to get a run on on goals and kick large numbers in the one game; which is an area Treacy doesn't do yet.

The other one would be Jamarra Ugle Hagan; both are the same size, speed and dedicated key forward types, but Ugle Hagan gets his goals again in many different ways (massive overhead marking, crumbing etc.) has a massive leap, and can play like both a small and a tall forward. Worse comes to worse, Ugle Hagan can probably play wing or in the backline; Treacy can't do that. Again Treacy loses out on the versatility of how he can get those goals, versatility of position and doesn't have the raw X factor the Ugle Hagan has.

If he had kicked say 6 or 7 goals for Vic Country, then I think he could have elevated himself into the conversation for a pick 30s - 60s (Shannon Neale territory where he is slightly versatile than Shannon Neale about as athletic but has more results, also has the advantage over Neale of coming from the state with the most clubs). However, I think had the U18s gone ahead, a lot of the ball movement would have been drawn to Ugle Hagan and so it would have been difficult for him to put those results on the board.

The only part I don't agree with is Treacy relying heavily on lead up set shots on goal. He seems to be quite good at snapping goals from the pocket in general play too. And he does it in both the draft highlights and the intraclub.

I guess everything you have jotted down points to Treacy developing - maturing super quick over a very short period of time. Calculated decision by the club.
Yeah I don't know. His draft highlights package show him in both defence and in the middle at times and only a small amount of lead up marking. His bullocking defensive skills were prominent too, tackles and wrecking ball stylee.

Certainly he's not proven anywhere near to the level as the top end of the draft, but there's a palpable scent of the dreaded untapped potentials surrounding him.

Last edited:

Key forwards who can mark and run don't make it through to rookie draft. Guys with no exposed form and potentially not quite at key position height do.

My little spreadsheet has him listed at 194cm. Which is barely there in modern key forward size. Fortunately there isn't enough 200cm key backs for many, if any, clubs to have more than one (if they get one at all). So playing Treacy as the second target behind Lobb or Taberner should be fine.

Key forwards who can mark and run don't make it through to rookie draft. Guys with no exposed form and potentially not quite at key position height do.

My little spreadsheet has him listed at 194cm. Which is barely there in modern key forward size. Fortunately there isn't enough 200cm key backs for many, if any, clubs to have more than one (if they get one at all). So playing Treacy as the second target behind Lobb or Taberner should be fine.
So would 195cm be there?

Don’t we already have that with Lobb, and Taberner at 198. Can Treacy crumb?
We do have that, that's why he should be able to play under them while they take the big defender.

The issue of draft value as a #1 forward, leading our attack, is that by the time Treacy is 22 he will probably be the only tall forward currently on our list that is still on our list - so I see the comparison to Darling and think that's fair in style, which shows why we need a 200cm athletic giant to play ahead of that style and those guys are top ten for a reason, they are so rare.

There are so many key forwards that are 186cm to 193cm available that don't get drafted for the reasons I said.

Last year represented a unique possibility to find a player that was undersized and had to use more tricks to be effective who then had a growth spurt and now has the frame and the tricks without the exposure and therefore without the draft price.

Hopefully we got one here.

Got a good little pump up by Tabs in this article-

“(Treacy is) playing really well at the moment. He’s had some great pre-season games and he looked very dangerous against a good West Coast defence last week.

“He’s a ready-made player, he’s got a big body. I think he’ll play an important part this year along with Rory Lobb up forward.

“We need help down there to share the load so it’s good we’ve got us three talls that complement each other.”

Think he definitely will be lining up throughout the year, if Longmuir doesn't like the two tall forward set up I think he will be brought in straight away.

All aboard the hype train for me 🚂🚂

Got a good little pump up by Tabs in this article-

“(Treacy is) playing really well at the moment. He’s had some great pre-season games and he looked very dangerous against a good West Coast defence last week.

“He’s a ready-made player, he’s got a big body. I think he’ll play an important part this year along with Rory Lobb up forward.

“We need help down there to share the load so it’s good we’ve got us three talls that complement each other.”

Think he definitely will be lining up throughout the year, if Longmuir doesn't like the two tall forward set up I think he will be brought in straight away.

All aboard the hype train for me 🚂🚂
Round one next season;

Walters Treacy Sturt
Lobb Taberner Henry

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some people need to temper their expectations of young Treacy. Yes, he has shown good early signs but he is still only 18. How many 18 yo KPPs step right up from the very start? They all take a bit of time.

I worry that he is exposed too early, struggles a bit and then the knives will be out in a flash.

These forums can be be very unforgiving at times

Some people need to temper their expectations of young Treacy. Yes, he has shown good early signs but he is still only 18. How many 18 yo KPPs step right up from the very start? They all take a bit of time.

I worry that he is exposed too early, struggles a bit and then the knives will be out in a flash.

These forums can be be very unforgiving at times

Very true but if he gets a few games and learns that the level is not beyond him he can develop quicker. I like the idea of him playing with Lobb and Taberner as the third tall before being relied upon to be a main target.

I think we can all agree he’s a competitor with a want to succeed. I think he’s the type of player JLo is looking for to help with improved player relationships.
He’s a million miles ahead of Dixon, Dardy, Hogan & probably Matera & that’s why I’m excited by him, he’s not a time waster.

Yes, Drummy, yes. You have nailed it completely (and not for the first time).

And, jeebers, when you write it down like that - Dixon, Dardy, Hogan and Matera - it's quite compelling. That's a decent start to a list ... if the list was "Good Blokes To Get Hammered With."

Reckon he plays like an angry Mitch McGovern.

Josh Jenkins with a backbone is my vibe

We do have that, that's why he should be able to play under them while they take the big defender.

The issue of draft value as a #1 forward, leading our attack, is that by the time Treacy is 22 he will probably be the only tall forward currently on our list that is still on our list - so I see the comparison to Darling and think that's fair in style, which shows why we need a 200cm athletic giant to play ahead of that style and those guys are top ten for a reason, they are so rare.

There are so many key forwards that are 186cm to 193cm available that don't get drafted for the reasons I said.

Last year represented a unique possibility to find a player that was undersized and had to use more tricks to be effective who then had a growth spurt and now has the frame and the tricks without the exposure and therefore without the draft price.

Hopefully we got one here.

So if given the option you would’ve selected Cox or Reid over JUH or McDonald in this years draft as the height is the determining factor for what we need?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Universal Love Welcome to Freo- Josh Treacy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back