Universal Love Welcome to Freo- Josh Treacy

Remove this Banner Ad

I want Josh to never leave the forward line, unless he’s getting beaten badly on the day.
I don't think this is the best way to utilise Treacy. He is as much of a weapon up the field as he is I50. His contested marking, tackling and laser kicks I50 contribute more to our team then chasing the Coleman medal. Just look at Curnow and McKay. They have both won Coleman medals but their team has achieved fk all

Drafted as a rookie. Don’t think he’s ever been upgraded maybe until his current deal?

Stayed on the rookie list all three years possible. Upgraded this year.

Won’t be a free agent in any form until after 2028 - and that’s only happening if he signed a one year extension otherwise it’s later.

Treacy is a natural forward with all the attributes required to be a key forward.

Marks overhead, leads straight to the ball deliver, good hands, straight kick, versatile enough to play in the ruck, a team player and a real physical presence.

All this at only 21 years old. Josh is one of the most improved players in the AFL this season.

But best of all he seems passionate about playing for Freo and he will improve further with his strong work ethic. Love this guy.

It's hilarious the effect he's having. My favourite was Youngy's last goal, where Treacy drew four Richmond defenders, including one (probably Young's opponent) who didn't even get to the contest!
He's the first forward we've had since Pav that is making multiple defenders panic.

It's wonderful.

We made a decision to give Michael Johnson another year when he was clearly cooked over extending Collins. That was the decision. Johnson was a leader at the club but clearly declining.
Interesting take, given they're very different players...and it's then force a club legend to retire to keep a rookie. There was also a massive list turnover happening across those years, so isolating to those two is a stretch (Dawson retired the year Collins was delisted).

Essentially the year before we took on Hamling, Logue, Cox, Ryan and Duman (delisting Tanner Smith & Silvagni). So there were numerous defensive options that they could easily have seen as getting in the way of Collins' opportunities. Plus Pearce percolating away on the list too.

Interesting take, given they're very different players...and it's then force a club legend to retire to keep a rookie. There was also a massive list turnover happening across those years, so isolating to those two is a stretch (Dawson retired the year Collins was delisted).

Essentially the year before we took on Hamling, Logue, Cox, Ryan and Duman (delisting Tanner Smith & Silvagni). So there were numerous defensive options that they could easily have seen as getting in the way of Collins' opportunities. Plus Pearce percolating away on the list too.

I remember it pretty clearly, I was counting list spots, as soon as Michael Johnson got an extension, you could guarantee Collins was getting delisted. I think he was a rookie at the time requiring a main list spot.

I remember it pretty clearly, I was counting list spots, as soon as Michael Johnson got an extension, you could guarantee Collins was getting delisted. I think he was a rookie at the time requiring a main list spot.
Collins was not a rookie, taken in the main draft

He was getting bags kicked on him at AFL level, barely played in his final year (2017)

The writing was well and truly on the walls

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Collins was not a rookie, taken in the main draft

He was getting bags kicked on him at AFL level, barely played in his final year (2017)

The writing was well and truly on the walls

That’s right. He had a main list spot.

Michael Johnson signed this 1 year extension. He was 32 years old at the time, and we signed him end of 2017, for 2018, instead of prioritizing our best WAFL key defender.

It was this late (September) 1 year contract extension in 2017 that sealed Collins delisting.

In 2017 Collins was amazing in the WAFL.

That’s right. He had a main list spot.

Michael Johnson signed this 1 year extension. He was 32 years old at the time, and we signed him end of 2017, for 2018, instead of prioritizing our best WAFL key defender.

It was this late (September) 1 year contract extension in 2017 that sealed Collins delisting.

In 2017 Collins was amazing in the WAFL.
Collins won the WAFL B&F but he had his cards stamped at AFL level TBH

He is an honest toiler, has got the most out of himself at GC but we made the right call with Moose, Logue, Hamling, Cox, Ryan all better players

It's hilarious the effect he's having. My favourite was Youngy's last goal, where Treacy drew four Richmond defenders, including one (probably Young's opponent) who didn't even get to the contest!
That was one of my favourite highlights too. You know you’ve made it as a forward when you draw multiple defenders to stop you and it results in a goal to your team without you touching the ball.

Richmond defensive line coach was probably tearing his hair out with the amount of times that happened.

Collins won the WAFL B&F but he had his cards stamped at AFL level TBH

He is an honest toiler, has got the most out of himself at GC but we made the right call with Moose, Logue, Hamling, Cox, Ryan all better players

In the 5 seasons that followed Collins delisting, games played:

2018: Pearce 21, Hamling 18, Cox 16, Logue 0, Michael Johnson 13
2019: Pearce 11, Hamling 22, Cox 8, Logue 10
2020: Pearce 0, Hamling 0, Cox 13, Logue 5
2021: Pearce 10, Hamling 1, Cox 12, Logue 16
2022: Pearce 21, Hamling 1, Cox 23, Logue 20

Luke Ryan was never competing with Collins as a key defender.

I think we could have kept him, his career at Gold Coast suggests we should have. No world beater but he makes us a lot better team in 2019, 2020 and 2021. I’d argue 2018 too, as he would of been better than a busted Michael Johnson, who limped through that year.

In the 5 seasons that followed Collins delisting, games played:

2018: Pearce 21, Hamling 18, Cox 16, Logue 0, Michael Johnson 13
2019: Pearce 11, Hamling 22, Cox 8, Logue 10
2020: Pearce 0, Hamling 0, Cox 13, Logue 5
2021: Pearce 10, Hamling 1, Cox 12, Logue 16
2022: Pearce 21, Hamling 1, Cox 23, Logue 20

Luke Ryan was never competing with Collins as a key defender.

I think we could have kept him, his career at Gold Coast suggests we should have. No world beater but he makes us a lot better team in 2019, 2020 and 2021. I’d argue 2018 too, as he would of been better than a busted Michael Johnson, who limped through that year.
Ryan does play a KPD role, he takes the third tall, he took the 2nd tall all year in 2020 when he was AA

I don't think Collins gets a game over any of those players in those years, 2020 he could have played with Ryan keeping the third tall role but thats only because our first 2 talls were down injured

Can argue he would have been handy depth I guess though but tbh Logue was developing there, when Logue finally got fit we couldn't fit him into the team with the other 3 KPD we were playing (Moose, Cox, Ryan) - logue ended up forward

We simply had enough KPD on the list, anyway this should probably move to another thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Universal Love Welcome to Freo- Josh Treacy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back