Universal Love Welcome to Freo- Josh Treacy

Remove this Banner Ad

Question, is Cyclone going to be restricted or unrestricted FA. Couldnt remember if we had moved him to a rookie list ever?

He has never been delisted. Will be a free agent 2028 and if in the top 25% of the squad by pay will be a restricted free agent.

Matches his best ever games total this weekend, already more than double his best ever goal total for a season before the Richmond game.

In the 5 seasons that followed Collins delisting, games played:

2018: Pearce 21, Hamling 18, Cox 16, Logue 0, Michael Johnson 13
2019: Pearce 11, Hamling 22, Cox 8, Logue 10
2020: Pearce 0, Hamling 0, Cox 13, Logue 5
2021: Pearce 10, Hamling 1, Cox 12, Logue 16
2022: Pearce 21, Hamling 1, Cox 23, Logue 20

Luke Ryan was never competing with Collins as a key defender.

I think we could have kept him, his career at Gold Coast suggests we should have. No world beater but he makes us a lot better team in 2019, 2020 and 2021. I’d argue 2018 too, as he would of been better than a busted Michael Johnson, who limped through that year.
Didn't he spend two years in the VFL before the Suns picked him up?
Also I think Ballard won the Peel B&F the season we delisted him.

He's looked dominant like this in the WAFL for a while. It was part of the reason I was so bullish. Going to be a monster at his peak.
His work rate in the WAFL last couple of years was head and shoulders above the pack
Was pretty confident he would make it on that alone

Now that he’s realised he’s a beast he’s going to be virtually unstoppable

Bucephalus gets my vote too
( although Cyclone rolls off the tongue a bit easier and doesn’t sound like Syphilis so will probably stick )

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His work rate in the WAFL last couple of years was head and shoulders above the pack
Was pretty confident he’d would make it on that alone

Now that he’s realised he’s a beast he’s going to be virtually unstoppable

Bucephalus gets my vote too
( although Cyclone rolls off the tongue a bit easier and doesn’t sound like Syphilis so will probably stick )
Preseason last year he looked primed. Started to clunk more contested marks, which really was the only deficit in his game at that point. The fact it took a year for that to really take root seems to make it more substantial. So exciting.

Didn't he spend two years in the VFL before the Suns picked him up?
Also I think Ballard won the Peel B&F the season we delisted him.
Add to that the huge level of turnover to the list during those couple of years. You could argue it was over the top, but they were trying to structure up a foundational group (for this current list?). It'd almost be amazing for a player regularly not in the 22 to survive that.

It's a weird situation because he is in year 1 of a 3 year contract. It's possible a player has never extended their contract in that situation. However it's almost as equally rare for a player to improve so much.

So we're getting him at a bargain price for the next two years, but that could open the door for an opposition club to tempt him away. He's possibly on something around $400k per season, so if someone like North offer him $900k+ it would be hard to say no.

If we renegotiate his contract to extend him for 2 more years to take him to free agency we could split the difference to make it fairer. Instead of $800k for two more years, it could be $2.8m for 4 years, so it's now a $700k a year contract, but the extension also looks like a million a year to Treacy. Hopefully I've explained that well :drunk:

The problem is I think end of 2028 is probably still vulnerable to the Tassie team, but I can't see such a young player signing up past their first free agency year.

Figures are just for hypothetical purposes.

He's contracted to the end of 2026. You'd think renegotiating now, unless it's his party that forces it, isn't going to happen prior to this year's trade period for the same reason Brayshaws contract won't be signed till then; TPP clarity.
I would restructure his deal on the condition he extends beyond 2026. I don't think TPP clarity is a valid argument. This would prevent other teams from getting a sniff and allow us to focus on Brayshaw and Warner.

I would restructure his deal on the condition he extends beyond 2026. I don't think TPP clarity is a valid argument. This would prevent other teams from getting a sniff and allow us to focus on Brayshaw and Warner.
I think though, that you wait until after trade period. If we don't get one of our targets, there'd be a nice 2025 $500k bonus (at least) for each of andy and josh. Which could mean the rest of the contract years are lower overall.

A reminder that Matt Taberner's career best is 37 goals in 16 games set in 2021 at age 28 and Rory Lobb's was 36 from 21 in 2022 at age 29.

Cyclone is 6 and 7 years younger, alongside Jye I don't know if we have ever had it this good.

5 year old son has only just started getting into footy the past couple months, following in the footsteps of big brother. He’s absolutely obsessed with Josh Treacy. Treacy this, Treacy that. My wife, who stopped paying attention to Freo after Pav retired, asked what he was talking about.

“He’s the new Pav”

She doesn’t see it, but then again she never liked Pav for his footballing ability.

I think Treacy has followed or been taught by Pavlich with his set shots. I watched him closely and was intrigued by how he was holding the ball, on the upper hemisphere to allow the ball to drop freely without rotation or sticking to the fingers.

Pause this video at 48 a mark.

Now pause this video at the 53s mark:

Quite a similar hold of the ball, I don't think that's a coincidence.

Treacy has a Coleman Medal in his future, to think we thought Amiss would be our #1 key forward for the future, he still could be, I think Treacy has a higher ceiling though.
I'd wait for the fullness of time if I were you given Amiss is a year younger and twice the player at the same age.

Remove this Banner Ad

Universal Love Welcome to Freo- Josh Treacy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back