Autopsy Welcome to Freo Liam Henry – Fremantle’s 3rd 2019 National Draft Pick [Match bid Pick #9]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Without going through 138 pages, has Liam provided one of those leaving a club statements where he thanks them for the time spent there? Or is it the Melbourne media puff pieces praising him for leaving and coming to Melbourne.

Not upset with Liam btw, I did exactly the same thing as he did and moved from Perth to Melbourne in my 20's because there was more stuff to do.

Devil's advocate: Moorabbin sh*ts over Cockburn as a location. Have lived near both so can speak from experience.

Seaford on the other hand...
Yeah I am probably being harsh on Moorabbin, but it doesn't have much for a 21yo. I live next door in Bentleigh and it has that half industrial half 60's working class suburb vibe. It's no carlton, Collingwood, hawthorn, North, Richmond or even footscray or essendon is what I'm saying. And seaford beach is one of if not the nicest beaches in Melbourne...

Yeah I am probably being harsh on Moorabbin, but it doesn't have much for a 21yo. I live next door in Bentleigh and it has that half industrial half 60's working class suburb vibe. It's no carlton, Collingwood, hawthorn, North, Richmond or even footscray or essendon is what I'm saying. And seaford beach is one of if not the nicest beaches in Melbourne...
That makes more sense. I like Moorabbin because it has two breweries and an awesome bar across the road from the station, but a fashion-loving 21 year old would very much prefer that inner-suburban life. Seaford beach is lovely and there's another two breweries in Seaford, but the part of Seaford that St Kilda put their training ground in some hidden place that was hard to get to.

Still think they sh*t over Cockburn as a location.

Kudos to Lyon. He’s obviously pretty good at making relationships. Unfortunately I think Saints are going to make us look silly next year with WM, Hill & Henry running riot through the middle.
I don’t, playing all 3 would be odd. They’re all skinny, outside types who balk at real pressure. Might have some flashy moments but none of them run both ways.

I don’t, playing all 3 would be odd. They’re all skinny, outside types who balk at real pressure. Might have some flashy moments but none of them run both ways.
Brad Hill would have claim to being the best wing in the competition. He has no peer at cutting inboard, bouncing the ball and running straight at the forwards especially later in games when his freakish aerobic ability starts to leave others in the dust.

Henry showed signs last year that he understands the role perfectly and some of his clean ball handling and most importantly positioning himself to receive and relieve pressure in the back half of the ground was of the highest quality. Henry was already one of the best runners at the club and if he's besties with Brad he's going to get mentored by him and train with him so I expect with natural development he'll be one of the hardest running wings in the game within a few years.

All 3 of them have excellent vision and are capable of delivering the ball lace out to forwards.

Lyon is out to make everyone who's doubted him eat their words and he's smart enough to have let others develop a completely new game plan which is focused on speed and endurance running.

We'll be chipping the ball around and focusing on pressure acts and the contest and they'll run past us all day.

I don't bet but I'd put money that we lose twice to them next year & that barring injuries they will finish higher than us next year and play finals.

Without going through 138 pages, has Liam provided one of those leaving a club statements where he thanks them for the time spent there? Or is it the Melbourne media puff pieces praising him for leaving and coming to Melbourne.

Not upset with Liam btw, I did exactly the same thing as he did and moved from Perth to Melbourne in my 20's because there was more stuff to do.

In fairness, Perth has grown a lot in the last 50 years ;)

Unfortunately he will develop a fair bit over there if he gets his head right & stops looking at his shadow whilst he runs.
Brad Hill will teach him a sheet load about running patterns & playing the wing position in general. Henry actually plays it pretty well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brad Hill would have claim to being the best wing in the competition. He has no peer at cutting inboard, bouncing the ball and running straight at the forwards especially later in games when his freakish aerobic ability starts to leave others in the dust.

Henry showed signs last year that he understands the role perfectly and some of his clean ball handling and most importantly positioning himself to receive and relieve pressure in the back half of the ground was of the highest quality. Henry was already one of the best runners at the club and if he's besties with Brad he's going to get mentored by him and train with him so I expect with natural development he'll be one of the hardest running wings in the game within a few years.

All 3 of them have excellent vision and are capable of delivering the ball lace out to forwards.

Lyon is out to make everyone who's doubted him eat their words and he's smart enough to have let others develop a completely new game plan which is focused on speed and endurance running.

We'll be chipping the ball around and focusing on pressure acts and the contest and they'll run past us all day.

I don't bet but I'd put money that we lose twice to them next year & that barring injuries they will finish higher than us next year and play finals.
I'm going to hard disagree on all of this. Putting a bunch of figjams in the same team might just be one too many. The Saints aren't exactly a stellar team and saying that we will likely lose twice to them next year and they'll finish higher on us? They had a new coach bounce, sure, but the Lyon sheen wears off fast and their list is crap compared to ours.

I'm going to hard disagree on all of this. Putting a bunch of figjams in the same team might just be one too many. The Saints aren't exactly a stellar team and saying that we will likely lose twice to them next year and they'll finish higher on us? They had a new coach bounce, sure, but the Lyon sheen wears off fast and their list is crap compared to ours.
I hope we do get them twice due the “blockbuster” of Henry returning to Perth to play us. Of all the top 8 teams this year they are the worst.
At docklands they are still a threat due the size it’s easy for Lyon to set up his defensive wall. We didn’t have Amiss in the team this year though, he could be the difference in flipping the result.

I disagree
Hill is often lauded for his kicking skills & while his short, safe kicks are very good, as soon as he goes for a harder kick or is put under any pressure, he is a below average kick.
Yes, his gut running is elite, but I think he is the number one AFL player who has been negatively affected by the stand rule. Previously his one wood was to get the easy hand off after a mark or free kick & break the lines that way, but the need for that has disappeared due to the stand rule with anyone able to get around the man on the mark.
Hill has improved his contested game, however. There were times this year i was certain he would be found out, but he has shown improved grit.
Henry is nowhere near that.
If we hadn't paid such a premium when he was drafted, we would ALL be rejoicing for what we got for him.
He is weak in the contest & a poor distributor whether that be because of decision making or skills (despite the eye), whatever.
NWM projects as the best of the 3, despite being an eastern stater. This guy has skills, takes on the tough option & is ok im the contest.
Saints have a very good coach, excellent talls, but their smalls are below par.
I reckon we pass them next year

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Hope you're right. I'm just feeling royally bummed out by losing Shultz and Henry I had a mini vent.

Hope you're right. I'm just feeling royally bummed out by losing Shultz and Henry I had a mini vent.
Yeah, I felt that through the post. Was hoping to perk you up a little with my endless optimism. Have a listen to the latest restump podcast as well, might help. Honestly don't think we're in a bad spot at all.

You must have been watching a very different Henry to me. You are talking him up in a variety of attributes at which he is mostly mediocre to poor.

He is a limited player. His positive attributes as a draftee are listed as the following on rookieme ... speed, footskills, poise, versatility, finishing quality. These have all been shown to not actually exist at a high level, and weaknesses such as marking, strength, height, toughness, etc are never going to get better.

Wanganeen milera is one of the best young players in the AFL. Should not ever even be mentioned in the same sentence as Henry!
NWM will be a multiple AA by the end of his career. In a redraft of 2021 he probably goes 4 after Daicos, amiss and JHF. He was the best player on the field for the saints in that recent final loss to GWS.

As for Henry - he never struck me as a guy that takes his footy too seriously. Now he has a 4 year deal I expect him to coast along and focus on his off field interest. Good riddance.

Wanganeen milera is one of the best young players in the AFL. Should not ever even be mentioned in the same sentence as Henry!
NWM will be a multiple AA by the end of his career. In a redraft of 2021 he probably goes 4 after Daicos, amiss and JHF. He was the best player on the field for the saints in that recent final loss to GWS.

As for Henry - he never struck me as a guy that takes his footy too seriously. Now he has a 4 year deal I expect him to coast along and focus on his off field interest. Good riddance.
Yeah would love NWM, gun.

Can't even say a simple "thank you" to freo for everything they've done for his career. "no bad blood" is the best he can do. what a dickhead lol.

HAHAHAH! Thats genuinely embarrassing!
My 1yo nephew speaks better.

Could just say thanks for everything freo, and to the fans, no bad blood and just walk away, instead stands there babbling on like a moron for 3 minuets constantly repeating himself.

Good riddance

Last edited:
You think Henry will make it? I don’t think he’ll play another 50 games myself.
I hope your right , He leaves with no best wishes from me.But outside wing not hard to play if you get left out on your own so may play more than we think.
If he becomes more damaging could be an easy player to lock down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back